Flywheel removal

Old July 30th 05, 08:15 PM
Carl Saiyed

Default Flywheel removal

Got the trans pulled out of my 89 YJ, now trying to remove the flywheel for
surfacing. It doesn't show any signs of being burned, grooved, rutted, or
pitted, however it is shiny. Does it need to be surfaced?

Six 3/4" bolts hold the flywheel on, and the flywheel just cranks the engine
over when I attempt to loosen the bolts. Is it OK to use an impact wrench on
these? How do I keep the flywheel from spinning?

Carl

Old July 30th 05, 08:26 PM
Robb S via CarKB.com

put it this way,
if you don't do it. when you are done and get on the road for a test drive,
you'll wish you had.

Old July 30th 05, 08:28 PM
Earle Horton

Heh, it is probably OK to remove the flywheel bolts with an impact
wrench, but how are you going to tighten them to the proper torque when
done? For the best job, the flywheel needs to be resurfaced. If you
don't do that, the new clutch disk isn't going to be broken in right.

As for holding the flywheel, you can make a special tool, that holds it
from spinning. I have made two or three of these for various vehicles,
and they can be a fun exercise in creative design. Or you can remove
the oil pan and wedge a two by four between the crankshaft and the
block.

Earle

Old July 30th 05, 08:53 PM
Robb S via CarKB.com

for the flywheel, usually I get a prybar and wedge it between the teeth of
the flywheel and the ground. it's one of those tough deals where you really
need to mickey mouse it to get the desired job.....
RS

Old July 30th 05, 09:12 PM
Carl Saiyed

Robb-
I got the flywheel pulled with a socket wrench and screwdriver, but it
seems that no one locally can turn it at all. Do you know someone who can
turn the flywheel? Apparently the ridge on the back is hard to work with.

Carl

Old July 30th 05, 10:21 PM
Carl Saiyed

Got it turned at Carquest in Lakewood on Pacific highway SW, just south of
bridgeport way.

The piolot bearing goes in the flywheel, right? Where does the throwout
bearing go?

Re-assembly tips?

Carl

Old July 30th 05, 10:44 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

LOL

Old July 30th 05, 10:50 PM
Carl Saiyed

I didn't see the sensor on the drivers side of the transmission. It's got a
grey cord with two wires in it. One red, one white. Runs atop the
transmission, plugs into a plug near the passenger side firewall. The wires
pulled out of the plug when I removed the trans. Is this the crank position
sensor? Any way to get the wires back into the plug, or do I need a new CPS.

Thanks,

Old July 30th 05, 11:02 PM
Michael White

Carl,

You didn't mention where you're at. Nearly any machine shop should be able
to handle it. I took mine to one that specializes in Volkswagons here in
Ft. Worth, Texas.

Also, another way to remove and install the flywheel bolts is to put a
socket and breaker bar on the bolt that holds the vibration damper. On a
stopped engine, there's enough force required to turn the engine that it
won't affect the torque on the vibration damper bolt.
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer

Old July 31st 05, 01:30 AM
Robb S via CarKB.com

the pilot bearing goes into the middle of the fly wheel, smear a little
grease inside of the bearing and on the nose of the transmission. The
throughout bearing goes onto the fork, and goes OVER the shaft of the
transmission when you are installing the tranny. SO the shaft will go
through the bearing. You will need a plastic alignment tool for when you
install your clutch and pressure plate. It will look like the shaft on the
transmission, and will have the grooves in it to match your clutch plate, and
a extended piece on the end, to fit into the pilot bearing. You MUST use
this tool, to align the components with the pilot bearing properly, as you
torque down the pressure plate bolts. If you don't use this, you'll be VERY
lucky to be able to get the transmission back into the vehicle. Also, when
installing the tranny, don't force it in. make sure it slides into the
clutch and then the pilot bearing. Forcing will cause damage to the pilot
bearing and ultimately the shaft itself. (Did this before) It will be a
fight, usually, but be patient. You may need to turn the tranny shaft a your
installing it. Use your driveline if you have to.....
RS