Dies at idle...do I need I new carburator?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 5th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Manuel Macedo

Default Dies at idle...do I need I new carburator?

Just done my first engine out this weekend. I had a generator to replace,
(along with fan attacched) and fan housing. My offcenter fan, broke my
generator and cracked my fan hounsing.
It was a little tricky since I did it all alone, andthe engine is still a
little heavy
No problem there, but I problem I use to have has agravated: the engine dies
at idle.
I suspect the carburator is to blame, since one of its mounting screws was
loose, a little hamering didn't help much. Tried to weld the screw to the
carburator, but i suspect it still aint fixed. When I'm tightening it with a
wrench, there is no stopping point, looks like the screw comes down in every
turn. It i pretty tight do, and the front screw is allright. I took the
carburator and cleaned it. Befoe I mouned it, I used some guew that
vulcanizes with heat in the carburator/manifold juntion to cover potencial
leaks in that area. No success... No matter the tunning of the carbuator, if
the choke is all opened, it dies. Of course I've tested with a warmed up
engine.

Spark plugs are new, spark cables are new, current is flowing well from the
coil and to the spark cables.

Probably the hammering of the screw didn't helped the carburator, even if it
had that problem allready...

Do I need a new carbuator? I got a 34 pic-3. How much should I pay for one
of those?

Any ideias?

Thanks!

MM