what exactly happened here?

Old April 23rd 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default what exactly happened here?

Hi everyone,

What has happened to this newsgroup? I am starting to understand that
Bill has ****ed the wrong person off this time. Correct?? Is there any way
that we can fix this group? I looked forward to visiting this board daily
and reading about the wonderful world of jeeps. It's a world I miss allot
and I really enjoy reading everyone's moments with their jeeps. Now it's
getting to be a bit much, with all this terribly unnecessary vulgarity. I
am not looking to **** anyone off here, just wondering what the deal is with
all the crap that is being posted.

Old April 23rd 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Josh Piela" > wrote in message
.. .
: Hi everyone,
:
: What has happened to this newsgroup? I am starting to understand that
: Bill has ****ed the wrong person off this time. Correct?? Is there any
way
: that we can fix this group? I looked forward to visiting this board daily
: and reading about the wonderful world of jeeps. It's a world I miss allot
: and I really enjoy reading everyone's moments with their jeeps. Now it's
: getting to be a bit much, with all this terribly unnecessary vulgarity. I
: am not looking to **** anyone off here, just wondering what the deal is
with
: all the crap that is being posted.
:

You seem to have as good an idea as most of us Josh.
Looks like Bill drug something in on his heel, and it's stinking up the
house.
Hopefully this will teach him to wipe his feet.

My personal expereince has been that the BEST course of action, believe it
or not, is as follows.
Never EVER reply to the trolls. It's hard to resist though.

As soon as their messages appear, delete them, and delete the replies.
Don't read them just hit the delete key and be done with it.

It will help keep the room tidy, (on your screen) even though it is like
sweeping the dirt under the rug.

It would be different if it were a good flame war where there was some
entertainment value, but in this case the participants are uncreative
idiots.

Kate

Old April 23rd 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Now, I thought I was very creative, Kate.

.....and honest, too.

Spdloader

.. .

Old April 23rd 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Josh,
You may help by reporting the abuse to the addresses you find in
their header. That's the only way we may remove the trolls that would
spam our groups. Learn how to via: SPAM COMPLAINTS -
http://spam.abuse.net/userhelp/howtocomplain.shtml
USENET COMPLAINTS - http://www.cybernothing.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq.html
PROBE ATTEMPTS - http://online.securityfocus.com/news/9
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old April 23rd 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Josh Piela" > wrote in
:

> What has happened to this newsgroup? I am starting to
> understand that Bill has ****ed the wrong person off this time.
> Correct?? Is there any way that we can fix this group? I looked
> forward to visiting this board daily and reading about the
> wonderful world of jeeps. It's a world I miss allot and I really
> enjoy reading everyone's moments with their jeeps. Now it's
> getting to be a bit much, with all this terribly unnecessary
> vulgarity. I am not looking to **** anyone off here, just
> wondering what the deal is with all the crap that is being posted.

I hear you, Josh. I had a problem with my radio in my Jeep and
found this group March 30th of this year hoping to get some advice.
The stuff you're referring to seems to have started very recently.
Your choices are to 1. learn how to killfile posters and threads
(it's much easier in other newsreaders but OE will do the job for
you) or 2. just wait it out and hope it goes away (it probably
won't) or 3. give up and leave the group.

The problem with this kind of thing is that it seems to escalate,
and responding to any of the posts will only make it worse. I
believe option 3. will be the only successful fix for many of us but
I'm willing to see what happens over the next few days.

Old April 23rd 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,alt.binaries.pictures.drag-racing

Default what exactly happened here? FYI Only

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:19:31 -0400, Josh Piela wrote:

FYI Only

> What has happened to this newsgroup? I am starting to understand that
> Bill has ****ed the wrong person off this time. Correct??

Not quite. Not person, but persons. Many. From many different groups.

And because of things like this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Josh,
You may help by reporting the abuse to the addresses you find in
their header. That's the only way we may remove the trolls that would
spam our groups. Learn how to via: SPAM COMPLAINTS -
http://spam.abuse.net/userhelp/howtocomplain.shtml
USENET COMPLAINTS - http://www.cybernothing.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq.html
PROBE ATTEMPTS - http://online.securityfocus.com/news/9
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

The observer.

Old April 23rd 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Bill,

The most abusive postings seem to come from anonymous remailers. As far as
I can figure out, these exist, solely to allow people to abuse Usenet with
impunity. I have heard "freedom of speech", "freedom from political
persecution", etc. argued for the existence of these pests, but all I have
**seen** coming from them, is abuse.

Any clue what to do about them?

Earle

Old April 23rd 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

> My personal expereince has been that the BEST course of action, believe it
> or not, is as follows.
> Never EVER reply to the trolls. It's hard to resist though.

That's how it is on the unmoderated Usenet. Some of the nuts are fun to
taunt, other are just too pathetically ignorant to waste time on. in any
case, Trolls feed on attention, and ignoring them is the best course of
action. This last one claimed to be performing his act as a public service,
yet has no moral dilemma with annoying a hundred innocents to accomplish his
ludicrous task. Of course, his attempted victim has proven to be impervious
to logic and facts that are contrary to his beliefs, but this use of 5th
grade schoolyard tactics may teach him why most people don't put their
personal information out on the web. I wonder how many new magazine
subscriptions, etc. are showing up?
Just remember what Freud said about people who capitalize all of their "k"s.
--
Stupendous Man,

Old April 23rd 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I wonder if it would be possible for the ISP's to filter out posts from
these anonymous remailers? After all all of this stuff has to come
through their servers and it's wasting good bandwidth and annoying their
customers.

Jeff DeWitt

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old April 23rd 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Josh Piela" > wrote in message
.. .
> Hi everyone,
>
> What has happened to this newsgroup? I am starting to understand that
> Bill has ****ed the wrong person off this time. Correct??

bill is a cornerstone of this group. he isnt going anywhere, wait it out
and the troll will eventually troll on elsewhere.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com