Doh! I Need Help!

Old May 14th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Doh! I Need Help!

1989 5.0 LX hatchback, AOD, air, power steering/power brakes,
non-California Mustang

Ok, so I've lurked here off and on for several years, even posted a time
or two.

I'm no mechanic. Don't get me wrong, I do most of my own work, but that
usually consists of an oil change or bolting on a new part.

I've replaced the 8.8 axle housing, installed an Auburn Locker, new 31
spline Moser axles, Baer 4 wheel disc brakes, installed a B&M shift kit,
removed & replaced the tranny while replacing a rear main seal and leaky
oil pan gasket, bolted in a full Bassani exhaust from ceramic-coated
stainless steel shorty headers to tailpipes, etc. etc. etc. So
basically, I know 'righty-tighty, lefty-loosey'.

So here's how I screwed up. A while back (Holy ****! It was five years
ago in March!) my voltage regulator went on the fritz on the way home
from a pre-season autocross event. I thought, No big deal, I've
replaced it before. But the more I thought about it, the more I
thought, Why replace the regulator when I have a 130a alternator just
waiting for that dinky 85a one to go out? Why not put it in now?

Ok, so I decide to install the 130a alternator. Have to modify the
mounting bracket to make the larger alternator fit. Try to make the
mods on the car, but it's a pain in the ass. I'll take it off. I check
my Chilton's and Haynes manuals. Hey! A few more bolts and I could
replace the timing chain too! 175,000 miles on the original chain, not
a bad idea to replace it. Research and buy an Edelbrach timing set.
Remove alternator, smog pump, idler arm, etc. until I have the mounting
bracket off the engine. Make modifications for new alternator.
Continue disassembling until I reach the timing gear. Remove old,
install new according to directions, that wasn't so hard! This is
turning out to be much easier than I expected.

Get sick. Weather turns bad, don't like to work in the driveway in the
cold and rain. Couple of weeks go by, then a couple of months. Summer
is here, but I'm still having health problems, hard enough to make it
through work every day, no energy to work on car.

So here I am, five years later, with various nuts and bolts and parts
and pieces, once organized, now jumbled. Does this bolt go here, or is
it that one over there? Did I use the right bolt when I reinstalled
that five years ago? Do I still have everything? Damn, it's a big
jigsaw puzzle now. I hate jigsaw puzzles.

Please, please, PLEASE! Someone help a stupid old man. My manuals are
no help at all. I need an exploded view diagram or something to show me
which bolts go where so I can drive my baby again. Now that I'm
starting to feel better, I really miss it and want to drive it this
summer. Can you help?

Arlie Cooper,
AKA Blue_Gator,
AKA Dumbass
Old May 14th 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Blue Gator" > wrote
:
: Please, please, PLEASE! Someone help a stupid old man. My manuals are
: no help at all. I need an exploded view diagram or something to show me
: which bolts go where so I can drive my baby again. Now that I'm
: starting to feel better, I really miss it and want to drive it this
: summer. Can you help?
:
:
: Arlie Cooper,
: AKA Blue_Gator,
: AKA Dumbass

Bless your heart...
someone in here will help,
Now that I think of it, since digital cameras came out, every time I start
tearing something apart I take photos of it as I go.
My forgetter works so good that I have to!

Kate

Old May 14th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Kate wrote:
> "Blue Gator" > wrote
> :
> : Please, please, PLEASE! Someone help a stupid old man. My manuals are
> : no help at all. I need an exploded view diagram or something to show me
> : which bolts go where so I can drive my baby again. Now that I'm
> : starting to feel better, I really miss it and want to drive it this
> : summer. Can you help?
> :
> :
> : Arlie Cooper,
> : AKA Blue_Gator,
> : AKA Dumbass
>
> Bless your heart...
> someone in here will help,
> Now that I think of it, since digital cameras came out, every time I start
> tearing something apart I take photos of it as I go.
> My forgetter works so good that I have to!
>
> Kate

Thanks, Kate.

I didn't have a digital camera at that time, but I could have used the
film camera. I just didn't expect the reassembly to take five years so
I didn't think I needed photos. I'm usually very good at keeping my
parts and pieces (and tools) organized so this doesn't happen, but after
so much time has passed, things have been moved a few times and are
jumbled together.

Thanks for the sympathy.

Arlie
Old May 14th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Well, if you weren't so far away, we could burn something on the BBQ, drink
some beers and you and the hubster could figure it out.
Don't beat up on yourself so bad though, stuff happens.

Kate

"Blue Gator" > wrote in message
: Kate wrote:
: > "Blue Gator" > wrote
: > :
: > : Please, please, PLEASE! Someone help a stupid old man. My manuals
are
: > : no help at all. I need an exploded view diagram or something to show
me
: > : which bolts go where so I can drive my baby again. Now that I'm
: > : starting to feel better, I really miss it and want to drive it this
: > : summer. Can you help?
: > :
: > :
: > : Arlie Cooper,
: > : AKA Blue_Gator,
: > : AKA Dumbass
: >

Old May 14th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Blue Gator wrote:

> Thanks, Kate.
>
> I didn't have a digital camera at that time, but I could have used the
> film camera. I just didn't expect the reassembly to take five years so
> I didn't think I needed photos. I'm usually very good at keeping my
> parts and pieces (and tools) organized so this doesn't happen, but after
> so much time has passed, things have been moved a few times and are
> jumbled together.
>
> Thanks for the sympathy.
>

> Arlie

As I remember Tim has a step by step with pictures for the
alternator upgrade on his web site. http://ponyperformance.com/

--
"Be sure you keep your fur free of grit,
or you will have the same trouble all over again." - Kate

Old May 15th 06, 12:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Blue Gator > wrote:

> So here I am, five years later, with various nuts and bolts and parts
> and pieces, once organized, now jumbled. Does this bolt go here, or is
> it that one over there? Did I use the right bolt when I reinstalled
> that five years ago? Do I still have everything? Damn, it's a big
> jigsaw puzzle now. I hate jigsaw puzzles.

Well, just like a jigsaw puzzle for adults, you're going to have to make
a plan and do one or more assembly dry runs.

First thing is to make sure all threads are clean and lubed, to minimise
effort.. best if they run in with fingers. thread-chase both bolts and
holes

Take what documenting you can find for locations then map the rest.

Yeah, it's gonna take a lot longer, but at least you are planning for
it..

Remember, no bolt should bottom, none should have less than 3/4 inch
thread engagement, none should 'wiggle' when in 4 or more threads (that's
for newbies)

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old May 15th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
> Blue Gator > wrote:
>
>> So here I am, five years later, with various nuts and bolts and parts
>> and pieces, once organized, now jumbled. Does this bolt go here, or is
>> it that one over there? Did I use the right bolt when I reinstalled
>> that five years ago? Do I still have everything? Damn, it's a big
>> jigsaw puzzle now. I hate jigsaw puzzles.
>>

> Well, just like a jigsaw puzzle for adults, you're going to have to make
> a plan and do one or more assembly dry runs.
>
> First thing is to make sure all threads are clean and lubed, to minimise
> effort.. best if they run in with fingers. thread-chase both bolts and
> holes
>
> Take what documenting you can find for locations then map the rest.
>
> Yeah, it's gonna take a lot longer, but at least you are planning for
> it..
>
> Remember, no bolt should bottom, none should have less than 3/4 inch
> thread engagement, none should 'wiggle' when in 4 or more threads (that's
> for newbies)
>
> --
> Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
> you pay..DEAL with it!

helpful on my '87 things that most shop don't know.

"http://www.alldata.com/"

I liked it so much I bought a years worth for a 97 cougar I was doing for my
kid.

Old May 16th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

walt peifer wrote:
> "Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
>
>>Blue Gator > wrote:
>>

>>>So here I am, five years later, with various nuts and bolts and parts
>>>and pieces, once organized, now jumbled. Does this bolt go here, or is
>>>it that one over there? Did I use the right bolt when I reinstalled
>>>that five years ago? Do I still have everything? Damn, it's a big
>>>jigsaw puzzle now. I hate jigsaw puzzles.
>>>

>>Well, just like a jigsaw puzzle for adults, you're going to have to make
>>a plan and do one or more assembly dry runs.
>>
>>First thing is to make sure all threads are clean and lubed, to minimise
>>effort.. best if they run in with fingers. thread-chase both bolts and
>>holes
>>
>>Take what documenting you can find for locations then map the rest.
>>
>>Yeah, it's gonna take a lot longer, but at least you are planning for
>>it..
>>
>>Remember, no bolt should bottom, none should have less than 3/4 inch
>>thread engagement, none should 'wiggle' when in 4 or more threads (that's
>>for newbies)
>>
>>--
>>Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
>>you pay..DEAL with it!

> helpful on my '87 things that most shop don't know.
>
> "http://www.alldata.com/"
>
> I liked it so much I bought a years worth for a 97 cougar I was doing for my
> kid.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. and the invite, Kate!

I stopped by the local Ford shop this morning and talked to the service
manager. I've known him, as an acquaintance, since around 1992. The
first time he asked to help me I thought he was a 16 year old lot
washer. How could he help me? Anyway, he turned out to be so good that
he made assistant shop manager after one or two years, and has been
shop manager for about 8 years now.

I thought he might photocopy a couple pages out of a manual or
something, but he actually loaned me the whole manual. I've glanced at
it and I think it has everything I need.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Arlie
Old May 17th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Blue Gator" > wrote
[...]

GREAT News Arlie!
Brings to mind the old saying "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and
then"

No you'll have to post photos... it's a must do thing

Kate

Old May 17th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Kate wrote:
> "Blue Gator" > wrote
> : Thanks for the suggestions guys. and the invite, Kate!
> :
> : I stopped by the local Ford shop this morning and talked to the service
> : manager. I've known him, as an acquaintance, since around 1992. The
> : first time he asked to help me I thought he was a 16 year old lot
> : washer. How could he help me? Anyway, he turned out to be so good that
> : he made assistant shop manager after one or two years, and has been
> : shop manager for about 8 years now.
> :
> : I thought he might photocopy a couple pages out of a manual or
> : something, but he actually loaned me the whole manual. I've glanced at
> : it and I think it has everything I need.
> :
> : I'll let you know how it goes!
> :
> :
> : Arlie
>
> GREAT News Arlie!
> Brings to mind the old saying "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and
> then"
>
> No you'll have to post photos... it's a must do thing
>
> Kate

I'll consider it, but I'm terrible at taking photos.

Oh, and I have no problem finding my nuts. I just wish a cute young
squirrel would find them now and then.

Arlie