Followup-- 2000 JGC V-8 still overheating

Old January 19th 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Default Followup-- 2000 JGC V-8 still overheating

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 21:20:18 -0500, Mike Romain wrote:

> Earle Horton wrote:
>> "SnoMan" > wrote in message

>>> THe fan does not get sucked into it. Eaither the radiator moves toward
>>> it on impact of engine shifts forward but even then if you did not
>>> have a shoe horn fit with 1 inch or less fan clearance it would not
>>> happen. If you have 3 to 6 inches of clearance or more in there it
>>> will never happen unless you break something. Low engine driven fan
>>> to radiator clearance on a off road machine is not a wise setup in my
>>> book.
>>> -----------------
>>> TheSnoMan.com

>> Mike would tear hell out of any shroud too with that fiberglass body he has.
>>
>> Earle
>>

> LOL!
>
> I have my rad hanging off two angle iron supports I welded to the frame
> rails. The shroud would have to have a frame of it's own.
>
> Having the rad held with 4 bolts causes the rad to snap in half because
> the frame rails flex so much because the 'glass body lets it. I have a
> one piece 'glass flip front. No structure at all in it, it is just a
> water cover...
>
> The side plates of the rad snap from the flex. I made my own side rails
> out of 1"x1/8" steel plate bar and welded it onto the stock sides. They
> stretched about 1/4". A bunch of my cores stretched and a couple
> snapped so I soldered them off.
>
> I now just hang my rad off two top bolts and let it swing side to side free.
>
> I was talking to a few other 'glass tub owners and apparently that is a
> common issue.

Take a look at your XJ - two bolts in the top, two fairly large pins on
the bottom that drop into holes with rubber grommets. AIR,the oles in the
cross member at the bottom are oval so that the bottom of the radiator can
slide, but that may just be my poor memory. That makes a lot more sense
than 4 solid mount bolts, especially under flex.

I agree with you about the flexible plastic blades. Mine have wear marks
on the front of the tips that have to be from hitting the radiator - the
fan I have has pretty flexible blades, so if you add any play at all in
the clutch you can easily get it into the radiator.

--
Will Honea >
Old January 19th 07, 11:19 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 21:03:37 -0500, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>No no, the blades of the fan act like a propeller and try to pull water.
> The flex fan blades are not strong enough to do this so they get
>pulled forward instead of the water going backward because they are so
>flexible. This can make them tag the rad fins.
>
>Water is 'heavy'. Grab a flex fan blade and see how far you can hand
>bend it in a forward direction, then talk clearance....

I understand that but again if there was a lot of clearance it would
not happen and if proper flex fan was used the blades would flatten
out from water pressure (like with high air press at higher RPMs) and
not pull the water or bend toward radiator as blades would "give".
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old January 19th 07, 02:52 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

SnoMan wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 21:03:37 -0500, Mike Romain >
> wrote:
>
>> No no, the blades of the fan act like a propeller and try to pull water.
>> The flex fan blades are not strong enough to do this so they get
>> pulled forward instead of the water going backward because they are so
>> flexible. This can make them tag the rad fins.
>>
>> Water is 'heavy'. Grab a flex fan blade and see how far you can hand
>> bend it in a forward direction, then talk clearance....

> I understand that but again if there was a lot of clearance it would
> not happen and if proper flex fan was used the blades would flatten
> out from water pressure (like with high air press at higher RPMs) and
> not pull the water or bend toward radiator as blades would "give".
> -----------------
> TheSnoMan.com

Unfortunately real life doesn't work like that. Even feathered out, the
flex fan still pulls.

I have heard of folks actually stopping before a water crossing and
tying their fan off so it doesn't rotate to prevent this.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old January 19th 07, 03:19 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:52:20 -0500, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>Unfortunately real life doesn't work like that. Even feathered out, the
>flex fan still pulls.
>
>I have heard of folks actually stopping before a water crossing and
>tying their fan off so it doesn't rotate to prevent this.

The proper flex fan with proper clearance would prevent this. I have
forded water up to 4 foot deep in years past many times with no
problems at all but them it was also with vehicles that had a lot of
clearance between fan and radiator. Also if you where concerned about
it, you could simpley remove or loose fan belt and then replace it or
retighten the belt afterwards. This would also save you from sucking
water into altenator YOu might have manual steering for a bit
depending on belt setup but it is not a big deal for a short period of
time.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old January 19th 07, 04:41 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

SnoMan wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:52:20 -0500, Mike Romain >
> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately real life doesn't work like that. Even feathered out, the
>> flex fan still pulls.
>>
>> I have heard of folks actually stopping before a water crossing and
>> tying their fan off so it doesn't rotate to prevent this.

> The proper flex fan with proper clearance would prevent this. I have
> forded water up to 4 foot deep in years past many times with no
> problems at all but them it was also with vehicles that had a lot of
> clearance between fan and radiator. Also if you where concerned about
> it, you could simpley remove or loose fan belt and then replace it or
> retighten the belt afterwards. This would also save you from sucking
> water into altenator YOu might have manual steering for a bit
> depending on belt setup but it is not a big deal for a short period of
> time.
> -----------------
> TheSnoMan.com

You keep mentioning having room for proper clearance. That might be
easy to do on a J10 or other full sized rig, but most modern Jeeps do
not have any extra space to 'play' with clearances. Even my 86 CJ7 with
it's 'glass one piece front clip only has at most 3" between the fan
blade and the rad. Something like an XJ has barely enough to squeeze
your hand between the fan and rad and you are most likely to skin
knuckles if you even try that.

If we could only build the perfect rig eh....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old January 19th 07, 07:50 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 11:41:59 -0500, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>You keep mentioning having room for proper clearance. That might be
>easy to do on a J10 or other full sized rig, but most modern Jeeps do
>not have any extra space to 'play' with clearances. Even my 86 CJ7 with
>it's 'glass one piece front clip only has at most 3" between the fan
>blade and the rad. Something like an XJ has barely enough to squeeze
>your hand between the fan and rad and you are most likely to skin
>knuckles if you even try that.
>
>If we could only build the perfect rig eh....

Even a CJ with a AMC V8 has more fan clearnace. When CJ was first
designed it was built around a 4 cyl and a V6 (a 225 that was a GM
engine that Jeep bought right too and then sold it back to GM in mid
70's) AMC kida shoehorned the straight 6 in there. Shame that they did
not stick with the GM V6 or build another one like it.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old January 19th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

They added four inches to the '72 CJ-5 to install the longer straight
six, you may see it from the hood and front fender's seem forward. Most
noticeable where the front fender opening joins the body, like no extension
on these '71s:
http://www.4x4review.com/feature/50-...ade-II-BIG.jpg
Son's 1972: http://members.aol.com/LarrHughes/lartruck.jpg
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 19th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

LOL No wonder it gets so.... Twisted:
http://www.billhughes.com/mikeTwistJeep.jpg
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0