Transmission is done

Old November 4th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Transmission is done

I am in need of a new transmission (auto) since the transfer case on my
old one has been wearing down and has spit metal flakes all into my
tranny and completely wore it down beyond repair. I took it to my
local tranny shop and they had to take it apart to find out what was
srong and now they are saying they already have $500 worth of work into
it taking the tranny out ( which also includes putting it back in) and
they will not let me give them a tranny that I could easily buy and
install it (I hate that rule). So I am stuck with the decision of
either A). letting them do the work and putting a new tranny in from
Ford for about $1900 or upgrading to what they call the "bullet proof"
version and paying another $1,000 for it, or B). taking the loss on the
work they already did ($5-600) and getting a used t-56 and putting it
in. I really have wanted to do the conversion to a manual tranny but
the cost has prohibited me but if they already have the old one out I
tried to get them to agreee to put a maual in but they won't use my
parts. I am totally torn here and on top of all that I don't exactly
have the money to do any of this (credit is a bitch ain't it) so I am
not sure what to do. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on what they
would do so fire away. Thanks in advance guys.

Heartbroken in AZ
1990 Mustang GT with 77,000 ORIGINAL MILES

Sean

Old November 4th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Chumley Doright

" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I am in need of a new transmission (auto) since the transfer case on my
> old one has been wearing down and has spit metal flakes all into my
> tranny and completely wore it down beyond repair. I took it to my
> local tranny shop and they had to take it apart to find out what was
> srong and now they are saying they already have $500 worth of work into
> it taking the tranny out ( which also includes putting it back in) and
> they will not let me give them a tranny that I could easily buy and
> install it (I hate that rule). So I am stuck with the decision of
> either A). letting them do the work and putting a new tranny in from
> Ford for about $1900 or upgrading to what they call the "bullet proof"
> version and paying another $1,000 for it, or B). taking the loss on the
> work they already did ($5-600) and getting a used t-56 and putting it
> in. I really have wanted to do the conversion to a manual tranny but
> the cost has prohibited me but if they already have the old one out I
> tried to get them to agreee to put a maual in but they won't use my
> parts. I am totally torn here and on top of all that I don't exactly
> have the money to do any of this (credit is a bitch ain't it) so I am
> not sure what to do. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on what they
> would do so fire away. Thanks in advance guys.
>
> Heartbroken in AZ
> 1990 Mustang GT with 77,000 ORIGINAL MILES
>
> Sean

That is an old transmission shop trick, pull it out say its broke, and your
stuck.

Ask another shop how much it cost to put one in, (either type) they may even
just tow the car over there and put in a rebuilt for much lower cost (I did
that once, it was about 1/2 price).

I do not know the auto to manual path, but you would need a clutch too, and
all that stuff.

that is a lot of money to put in a car worth $2000 to $4000 or so.

I could only drive a manual.

Good luck.

87 5.0 155k miles when I sold it
93 5.0 8# Keene Bell has 145k miles

Old November 4th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Big Al[_1_]

" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I am in need of a new transmission (auto) since the transfer case on my
> old one has been wearing down and has spit metal flakes all into my
> tranny and completely wore it down beyond repair. I took it to my
> local tranny shop and they had to take it apart to find out what was
> srong and now they are saying they already have $500 worth of work into
> it taking the tranny out ( which also includes putting it back in) and
> they will not let me give them a tranny that I could easily buy and
> install it (I hate that rule). So I am stuck with the decision of
> either A). letting them do the work and putting a new tranny in from
> Ford for about $1900 or upgrading to what they call the "bullet proof"
> version and paying another $1,000 for it, or B). taking the loss on the
> work they already did ($5-600) and getting a used t-56 and putting it
> in. I really have wanted to do the conversion to a manual tranny but
> the cost has prohibited me but if they already have the old one out I
> tried to get them to agreee to put a maual in but they won't use my
> parts. I am totally torn here and on top of all that I don't exactly
> have the money to do any of this (credit is a bitch ain't it) so I am
> not sure what to do. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on what they
> would do so fire away. Thanks in advance guys.
>
> Heartbroken in AZ
> 1990 Mustang GT with 77,000 ORIGINAL MILES
>
> Sean

Sean,

What was the original reason you took the car in? Mustang's do not have
transfer cases. Please explain.

Al in Tucson

Old November 4th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
trainfan1

Big Al wrote:

> Sean,
> ...Mustang's do not have
> transfer cases. Please explain.
>
> Al in Tucson

http://blog.doctissimo.fr/php/blog/s...%20Mustang.jpg

Rob
Old November 4th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Big Al wrote:
> " > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > I am in need of a new transmission (auto) since the transfer case on my
> > old one has been wearing down and has spit metal flakes all into my
> > tranny and completely wore it down beyond repair. I took it to my
> > local tranny shop and they had to take it apart to find out what was
> > srong and now they are saying they already have $500 worth of work into
> > it taking the tranny out ( which also includes putting it back in) and
> > they will not let me give them a tranny that I could easily buy and
> > install it (I hate that rule). So I am stuck with the decision of
> > either A). letting them do the work and putting a new tranny in from
> > Ford for about $1900 or upgrading to what they call the "bullet proof"
> > version and paying another $1,000 for it, or B). taking the loss on the
> > work they already did ($5-600) and getting a used t-56 and putting it
> > in. I really have wanted to do the conversion to a manual tranny but
> > the cost has prohibited me but if they already have the old one out I
> > tried to get them to agreee to put a maual in but they won't use my
> > parts. I am totally torn here and on top of all that I don't exactly
> > have the money to do any of this (credit is a bitch ain't it) so I am
> > not sure what to do. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on what they
> > would do so fire away. Thanks in advance guys.
> >
> > Heartbroken in AZ
> > 1990 Mustang GT with 77,000 ORIGINAL MILES
> >
> > Sean
> >

> Sean,
>
> What was the original reason you took the car in? Mustang's do not have
> transfer cases. Please explain.
>
> Al in Tucson

What I meant to say was torque converter, I was so mad when I wrote
that I must have just wrote transfer case for some reason. I took
the car in for a regular transmission service, they called me and said
that the tranny was leaking in like 6 different places and that it was
kicking back fluid and that is why they had to remove it and open it
up. I am not any kind of expert on cars so I allowed them to do it
because i didn't want to end up with a burnt out transmission. They
called me and said it was a bad torque converter and that it was
shooting metal flakes into the tranny causing an abrasive action
leading to the tranny being worn down so now I had to either get a
rebuilt tranny with a 1 year/12,000 mile warranty for $1600, a
remanufactured from Ford with a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty for $2000
or a upgraded "bullet proof" tranny with a LIFETIME warranty on parts
and labor for $3,000. I know its an old car that isn't worht much
(actually the blue book on it is $5,000 and I have put a few upgrades
on it) but I plan to keep it for the rest of my life so I thought the
upgraded "bullet proof" tranny was the way to go. But then again the
guy told me he could do a manual conversion for about $3,000 (I had
asked him when dropping off my car) so I wonder if that includes a new
T-5 or even a T-56.... Anyway I have to have it done because I
can't afford a new car and I love this one so I will look into getting
it done elsewhere....

Old November 5th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Big Al[_1_]

" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> [...]

> leading to the tranny being worn down so now I had to either get a
> rebuilt tranny with a 1 year/12,000 mile warranty for $1600, a
> remanufactured from Ford with a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty for $2000
> or a upgraded "bullet proof" tranny with a LIFETIME warranty on parts
> and labor for $3,000. I know its an old car that isn't worht much
> (actually the blue book on it is $5,000 and I have put a few upgrades
> on it) but I plan to keep it for the rest of my life so I thought the
> upgraded "bullet proof" tranny was the way to go. But then again the
> guy told me he could do a manual conversion for about $3,000 (I had
> asked him when dropping off my car) so I wonder if that includes a new
> T-5 or even a T-56.... Anyway I have to have it done because I
> can't afford a new car and I love this one so I will look into getting

So, what you need is nothing more than a good replacement automatic. That
should not be hard to come up with.

Al

Old November 6th 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ashton Crusher

I know someone in AZ with all the parts from an 88 if you want to
convert it to a T-5.

On 3 Nov 2006 15:50:50 -0800, "