Oil Pressure Switch - 2005 PT Cruiser

Old June 17th 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
One of the boys

Default Oil Pressure Switch - 2005 PT Cruiser

Warning light is intermittent. Oil level is OK. < 40K miles on car.
I suspision the sending unit i.e switch. Where is this switch
located. I see it costs $10 at AutoZone. Have heard it is near the
oil filter. Can somebody tell me how to find it. Looks like you may
need a special socket for removal/replace.

TIA for any help.

willhopp@mail (dot) com
Old June 18th 08, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Pfeiffer

Bill Putney > writes:

> One of the boys wrote:
>> Warning light is intermittent. Oil level is OK. < 40K miles on car.
>> I suspision the sending unit i.e switch. Where is this switch
>> located. I see it costs $10 at AutoZone. Have heard it is near the
>> oil filter. Can somebody tell me how to find it. Looks like you may
>> need a special socket for removal/replace.
>>
>> TIA for any help.
>>
>> willhopp@mail (dot) com

> Probably the same part as on the LH cars which tend to start
> flickerung the low pressure light at idle/warm/in gear due to internal
> (often accompanied by external) leaking. From a few years of reading
> posts on three LH car forums, I would advise getting the OEM part.
> Yeah they do eventually fail, but I've read many posts on the LH
> forums about the initial calibration on the aftermarket ones being so
> crappy that they often have the light-on-at-idle problem right out of
> the box.
>
> Yeah - I believe the corners of their would-be hex are pretty rounded,
> so regular socket doesn't work well. But I would think careful use of
> slip joint pliers might do the trick in place of a special tool.

If it's the same sort of strange-rounded-hex used on older cars, a
socket works fine.
Old June 18th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> Bill Putney > writes:
>
>> One of the boys wrote:
>>> Warning light is intermittent. Oil level is OK. < 40K miles on car.
>>> I suspision the sending unit i.e switch. Where is this switch
>>> located. I see it costs $10 at AutoZone. Have heard it is near the
>>> oil filter. Can somebody tell me how to find it. Looks like you may
>>> need a special socket for removal/replace.
>>>
>>> TIA for any help.
>>>
>>> willhopp@mail (dot) com

>> Probably the same part as on the LH cars which tend to start
>> flickerung the low pressure light at idle/warm/in gear due to internal
>> (often accompanied by external) leaking. From a few years of reading
>> posts on three LH car forums, I would advise getting the OEM part.
>> Yeah they do eventually fail, but I've read many posts on the LH
>> forums about the initial calibration on the aftermarket ones being so
>> crappy that they often have the light-on-at-idle problem right out of
>> the box.
>>
>> Yeah - I believe the corners of their would-be hex are pretty rounded,
>> so regular socket doesn't work well. But I would think careful use of
>> slip joint pliers might do the trick in place of a special tool.

> If it's the same sort of strange-rounded-hex used on older cars, a
> socket works fine.

In that case, a 6-point would be best.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old June 18th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Pfeiffer

Bill Putney > writes:

> Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
>> Bill Putney > writes:
>>>
>>> Yeah - I believe the corners of their would-be hex are pretty rounded,
>>> so regular socket doesn't work well. But I would think careful use of
>>> slip joint pliers might do the trick in place of a special tool.

>> If it's the same sort of strange-rounded-hex used on older cars, a
>> socket works fine.

> In that case, a 6-point would be best.

Thanks for pointing that out -- yes, gotta be a 6-point. I actually
avoid 12-points in general, especially in larger sizes.

Old June 18th 08, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower[_2_]

"One of the boys" > wrote in message
> Warning light is intermittent. Oil level is OK. < 40K miles on car.
> I suspision the sending unit i.e switch. Where is this switch
> located. I see it costs $10 at AutoZone. Have heard it is near the
> oil filter. Can somebody tell me how to find it. Looks like you may
> need a special socket for removal/replace.
>
> TIA for any help.
>
> willhopp@mail (dot) com

Yes it is next to the oil filter. If you already know you are going to
purchase the part do it from a dealer, then you have an idea of what the
switch looks like and what size socket it will take to remove it!!! If the
old sending unit is leaking make sure to pop out the rubber isolator and
clean all the oil out of the connector or the lite will come back on. Leave
the isolator (rubber seal) out of the connector when you reassemble it.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old June 19th 08, 12:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
One of the boys

Thanks to all for the feedback. I had an idea of what the switch
looks like from the picture on AutoZone website. Hope the switch
solves the problem and not some wiring or computer problems. I did
the "on off on" routine and see a P522 code on the odometer.

Again thanks to you guys!

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:35:24 -0400, "maxpower" >
wrote:

.. .

Old June 19th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

You're welcome. Actually, the bigger (worst-case) concern would be an
actual low oil pressure situation (and potential engine damage). But
based on people's experience with late model Chryslers, it is almost
certain to be the switch itself. Ideally, you would actually have a
mechanical gage put on temporarily to prove that your oil pressure is
not out of spec. But that's your call, your risk to take. Chances are
it's OK.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')

Old June 20th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
One of the boys

Thanks for your input Bill and Glenn
,
I had a professional mechanic replace the sensor today and clear the
P522 code. A "do it yourselfer" might get it done with the car cold,
but I could see this thing is not the easiest to get to. The mechanic
wore a heat proof leggend on of his arms while working around a hot
exhause converter and had a very long extension with universal joint
and special socket to do the job. I asked about checking the pressure
with a mechanical gage but he didn't think it necessary. The original
sensor was leaking and he did as Glenn suggested with the rubber
gasket.

The car only has 31670 miles so I guess this failure so soon was "just
one of those things." It took the mechanic all of 20 minutes to jack
up the car, crawl under it and make the R/R even with the hot
converter.

I am a Chrylser nut! Also have a Dodge Caravan and Dakota pickup

This group has been a big help in keeping up my "junk" economically.

Thanks to all!

willhopp

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 18:26:37 -0400, Bill Putney >
wrote:

>You're welcome. Actually, the bigger (worst-case) concern would be an
>actual low oil pressure situation (and potential engine damage). But
>based on people's experience with late model Chryslers, it is almost
>certain to be the switch itself. Ideally, you would actually have a
>mechanical gage put on temporarily to prove that your oil pressure is
>not out of spec. But that's your call, your risk to take. Chances are
>it's OK.
>
>Bill Putney
>(To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
>address with the letter 'x')
>

>One of the boys wrote:
>> Thanks to all for the feedback. I had an idea of what the switch
>> looks like from the picture on AutoZone website. Hope the switch
>> solves the problem and not some wiring or computer problems. I did
>> the "on off on" routine and see a P522 code on the odometer.
>>
>> Again thanks to you guys!
>>

>> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:35:24 -0400, "maxpower" >
>> wrote:

>>> Yes it is next to the oil filter. If you already know you are going to
>>> purchase the part do it from a dealer, then you have an idea of what the
>>> switch looks like and what size socket it will take to remove it!!! If the
>>> old sending unit is leaking make sure to pop out the rubber isolator and
>>> clean all the oil out of the connector or the lite will come back on. Leave
>>> the isolator (rubber seal) out of the connector when you reassemble it.
>>>
>>> Glenn Beasley
>>> Chrysler Tech

Replacing AC pressure switch Dave[_46_] Corvette 1 August 18th 07 02:03 PM
oil pressure switch njot Saturn 1 April 29th 07 05:27 PM
"04 CRV oil pressure switch rudyc Honda 1 November 9th 06 01:32 AM
oil pressure sending switch David Teichholtz Saturn 4 January 2nd 06 03:40 AM