Best Shop Manuals for '94 Explorer?

Old September 26th 05, 05:38 PM
Ulysses

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Ulysses wrote:
> >
> > Well, not kidding, I got 100,000 miles on my platinum plugs. They

looked
> > perfect except they looked like they should have been changed at 75,000

;-)

> I was just looking thru the records my '94 came with. The stock
> platinum plugs are supposed to go 60K miles. So you're probably right.
>
> > I thought about getting one of those manuals on CD (very cheap on eBay)

but
> > I prefer being able to flip through my manual and walk around with it

> Yeah- but the paper one would cost me 15X as much- used. Plus it's a
> lot easier and quicker to search thru a CD than a manual. I figure
> I'll print out what I need before starting a job, and have the best of
> both worlds. Greasy finger prints on my keyboard would be a problem.
> ;-)
>
> > Since I am a long way
> > from being what would rightfully be called an "auto mechanic" I like to

get
> > all the instructions I can find before starting any major jobs ;-)

> That's just being smart. I had two semesters of autoshop in highschool,
> many moons ago. Best class I ever took. We had a great teacher who also
> taught electronics, so he really knew his theory. My line of work
> (electronics) is so broad and changes so fast that you have to be good
> at using manuals. So same here- I research before starting a job. The
> net is fantastic for that- I'm going to post the info I found on
> changing the plastic transmission shift tower plugs.
>
> I ordered an old Haynes and the CD on ebay (cheap!), and I'll probably
> buy the new Haynes locally. The new Haynes covers a lot of years, but
> the old one is said to have more detail specific to '94 Explorers.
> -Paul

I just missed it with my old Hayne's manual--it goes from '91-'95 and I just
bought a '97. There is no such thing (in the old manual) as four wheel disc
brakes or any other engine besides the 4.0 V6 EFI. I looked at a newer
manual that goes up to 2001 and it doesn't look much thicker than my old one
so without even looking inside (it was shrink-wrapped) it I got the
impression that it must have less information in it.

So far the '97 with it's torsion bars and all goes everywhere the '91 and
'92 go but I won't know for sure til we get some serious mud. I actually
bought it for my daughter (17) and I wanted her to have something that also
looks nice--it looked right at home with the new Explorers at the Ford
dealer where we bought it. My older ones still look pretty good but all the
tiny scratches and dings and minor wear kinda adds up to detract from the
overall appearance.

Does your '94 with the manual trans also have manual shift into 4WD? No
PITA servo motor? How many miles does it have on it? I've read on the Ford
Truck Forum (www.ford-trucks.com) as many as 350,000 miles on these things
and they are still running. My '92 with 272,000 just passed the smog test a
couple of weeks ago. My '91 is almost at 200,000.

Old September 26th 05, 05:55 PM

Ulysses wrote:

> Does your '94 with the manual trans also have manual shift into 4WD?

No, it has two buttons for 4WD and Low. The '93 XL I almost bought had
the lever and manual hubs. I would have preferred that- less to go
wrong.

> How many miles does it have on it? I've read on the Ford
> Truck Forum (www.ford-trucks.com) as many as 350,000 miles on these things
> and they are still running. My '92 with 272,000 just passed the smog test a
> couple of weeks ago. My '91 is almost at 200,000.

It has 164K. The transmission and clutch were replaced at 80K, and it's
been pretty well maintained judging by the records they gave me. I'll
probably just nurse it along, not put a lot of money into it at this
point in its life.

I'll see if I can find a donor vehicle at pick and pull with newer
shocks and upgraded sway bars, for example. Otherwise the ones it's got
will do.

Hey, you're a nice dad. All my daughter got was a Taurus. ;-)
-Paul

Old September 26th 05, 07:16 PM
Ulysses

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Hey, you're a nice dad. All my daughter got was a Taurus. ;-)
> -Paul

My first car was a '61 VW that I paid $300 for. Had to buy it myself.

Old September 26th 05, 07:30 PM

Ulysses wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >

> > Hey, you're a nice dad. All my daughter got was a Taurus. ;-)
> > -Paul
> >

> My first car was a '61 VW that I paid $300 for. Had to buy it myself.

Mine was a '60 Falcon station wagon. It was given to me because it had
no oil pressure. My first experience with troubleshooting- I replaced
the oil pump, still no oil pressure. The pump was driven by a hex shaft
which fit into a socket on the bottom of the distributor shaft. That
socket had rounded out.

-Paul

Old September 26th 05, 07:31 PM

Old September 29th 05, 04:37 AM
Gerald Riggs

I do a lot of work on Fords and have two things:
1. A Ford CD which cover the whole car for the year in question , and
2. A Ford "Powertrain/Emissions Diagnosis Manual" (about 4 inches thick,
very detailed on OBD stuff)
With those 2 about anything on that year ford can be fixed. Would not waste
any $ on Haynes. Try Ebay for genuine Ford stuff. Good luck (sometimes you
need it!) Oh, The printed Ford printed books contain the same info as the
CDs but the books are easier to use. I have both for some years - not 94.
Jerry, Kingston, WA

ups.com...

Old September 29th 05, 06:02 AM

Gerald Riggs wrote:
> I do a lot of work on Fords and have two things:
> 1. A Ford CD which cover the whole car for the year in question , and
> 2. A Ford "Powertrain/Emissions Diagnosis Manual" (about 4 inches thick,
> very detailed on OBD stuff)
> With those 2 about anything on that year ford can be fixed. Would not waste
> any $ on Haynes. Try Ebay for genuine Ford stuff. Good luck (sometimes you
> need it!) Oh, The printed Ford printed books contain the same info as the
> CDs but the books are easier to use. I have both for some years - not 94.
> Jerry, Kingston, WA

Thanks for the tips. I ordered the CD, and eagerly await its arrival...
-Paul

Old September 29th 05, 05:30 PM
Ulysses

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Gerald Riggs wrote:
> > I do a lot of work on Fords and have two things:
> > 1. A Ford CD which cover the whole car for the year in question , and
> > 2. A Ford "Powertrain/Emissions Diagnosis Manual" (about 4 inches thick,
> > very detailed on OBD stuff)
> > With those 2 about anything on that year ford can be fixed. Would not

waste
> > any $ on Haynes. Try Ebay for genuine Ford stuff. Good luck (sometimes

you
> > need it!) Oh, The printed Ford printed books contain the same info as

the
> > CDs but the books are easier to use. I have both for some years - not

94.
> > Jerry, Kingston, WA

> Thanks for the tips. I ordered the CD, and eagerly await its arrival...
> -Paul

If this is the actual Ford shop manual then I'm definately interested too.
Where did you get it and how much was it? I've seen some on eBay for not
much $$ but figured they might not have any more information in them than my
Hayne's manual.

Old September 29th 05, 09:43 PM

Ulysses wrote:

> If this is the actual Ford shop manual then I'm definately interested too.
> Where did you get it and how much was it? I've seen some on eBay for not
> much $$ but figured they might not have any more information in them than my
> Hayne's manual.

Yes, it is supposed to be the official shop manual, and it says it
covers a bunch of other Ford models too- the Ranger, Bronco, F-150,
F-250, etc.

When it gets here I'll take a look at it and post a review.
-Paul

Old September 30th 05, 05:52 PM
Ulysses

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Ulysses wrote:
> >
> > If this is the actual Ford shop manual then I'm definately interested

too.
> > Where did you get it and how much was it? I've seen some on eBay for

not
> > much $$ but figured they might not have any more information in them

than my
> > Hayne's manual.

> Yes, it is supposed to be the official shop manual, and it says it
> covers a bunch of other Ford models too- the Ranger, Bronco, F-150,
> F-250, etc.
>
> When it gets here I'll take a look at it and post a review.
> -Paul

Great. BTW did you pay $1600 for your "new" Explorer? If so, wow. It
makes me think mine are not worth anything any more though :-(

Since it's a manual (trans) is it a 2-door Sport or the 4-door? I was
looking at a 2-door the other day and they look shorter which could be
advantagous under certain circumstances.