What I want vs. what the reality could support

Old January 27th 11, 09:23 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
DAS[_2_]

Default What I want vs. what the reality could support

In some European countries diesels account for more than half of all sales.
Even in the previously suspicious-of-diesel UK sales are now very high.

More and more sporty cars are coming out with diesel engines.

It is still a case of horses for courses. For low-mileage drives diesel is
not worthwhile, especially as its price in the UK is higher than
petrol/gasoline.

DAS
--
To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
--
"bfd" > wrote in message
[...]

One thing not raised or that I might have missed is many American gas
stations do not sell diesel and only have gasoline pumps. For example,
in my area, arguably the cheapest gas is usually found at Costco.
Costco only sells regular and premium gasoline. No diesel. This lack
of infrastructure, combined with the previously mentioned negative
points - smelly, dirty, loud, slow - all combine to bias diesel gas.

However, that might be changing and the Euro car mfrs are leading the
way. The latest diesel offerings from BMW, MB, Audi and VW are all
coming out with fast, quiet and efficient diesel cars. That 335d is a
sweet car. Too bad it doesn't have a manual tranny. Similarly, BMW
offers a nice 1 Series 4 door hatchback in Europe with either a 2.0
liter(120d) or 2.3liter (123d) diesel that suppose to be the bomb.
Alas, its not available in the US - how short sighted....

Old January 28th 11, 04:07 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
dizzy

Scott Dorsey wrote:

>Try one of the BMW diesels. They're not like you'd expect at all. However,
>BMW can't sell the damn things in the US because Americans won't buy diesels.

I also have a perception that they don't work as well in colder
climates - because they are so efficient, they are slow to warm up and
the heaters have poor output.

Old January 28th 11, 04:07 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
dizzy

Old January 28th 11, 01:42 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
David

On 28/01/2011 04:07, dizzy wrote:
> Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
>> Try one of the BMW diesels. They're not like you'd expect at all. However,
>> BMW can't sell the damn things in the US because Americans won't buy diesels.

> I also have a perception that they don't work as well in colder
> climates - because they are so efficient, they are slow to warm up and
> the heaters have poor output.

The heater is electrically assisted with heating elements in the system
in the E90 diesels.
Old January 28th 11, 01:42 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
David

Old February 1st 11, 04:37 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
dizzy

David wrote:

> dizzy wrote:
>> Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>
>>> Try one of the BMW diesels. They're not like you'd expect at all. However,
>>> BMW can't sell the damn things in the US because Americans won't buy diesels.

>> I also have a perception that they don't work as well in colder
>> climates - because they are so efficient, they are slow to warm up and
>> the heaters have poor output.

>The heater is electrically assisted with heating elements in the system
>in the E90 diesels.

Then also in the more-expensive cars?

Old February 1st 11, 04:37 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
dizzy

Old February 2nd 11, 07:47 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
David

On 01/02/2011 04:37, dizzy wrote:
> David wrote:
>
>> dizzy wrote:

>>> I also have a perception that they don't work as well in colder
>>> climates - because they are so efficient, they are slow to warm up and
>>> the heaters have poor output.

>> The heater is electrically assisted with heating elements in the system
>> in the E90 diesels.

> Then also in the more-expensive cars?

If you mean 5 and 7 series, then I have dug some info regarding the E60
/ E61 models from Sept 2005; it looks like the diesels (and the N52
engine) have additional heating too.

Maybe they can have 'Basic' and 'High' levels of ACC, as in the E65 /
E66 / E68.
It also seems that the E65 / E66 / E68 have the means to provide cabin
heating independently of the engine as well. It uses a separate burner
to burn fuel to heat the coolant. Slightly different to the lower value
models.
Old February 2nd 11, 07:47 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
David

Old February 12th 11, 10:39 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
dizzy > wrote:
> I also have a perception that they don't work as well in colder
> climates - because they are so efficient, they are slow to warm up and
> the heaters have poor output.

You fit a diesel burning cabin heater - which also means it can be on a
timer so the car is warm first thing.

--
*I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Reality of success visittosucceed Technology 0 March 15th 09 12:22 PM
Reality Check-In teem[_1_] Saturn 0 September 23rd 06 03:32 AM
Ford GT vs. GT4 (Reality vs. Virtual Reality) [email protected] Simulators 1 October 12th 05 04:13 AM
Reality check Bob Buchanan Corvette 66 September 23rd 04 03:53 PM