Battery Vaseline??

Old December 9th 05, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default Battery Vaseline??

Hi, I just had the battery replaced on my Saturn last summer. It suddenly
died two days ago, and the tow truck operator thought it's a bad operator.
But the mechanic is telling me the alternator is fine, and the guy who put
the battery in had put vaseline on the terminals, which caused a bad
connection. He said that "although they say to put vaseline on the battery
terminals, that's the worst thing you can do, because it leads to a bad
connection". Is this true??

Old December 10th 05, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

"Shiquiliq" > wrote in message
. net...

I do that all the time and have been for years; never had a problem...

Old December 10th 05, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Many people put grease on it or those chemically treated pads. Vasoline
seems a bit thin to me for the purpose.

. net...

Old December 10th 05, 11:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

No. It could have had a bad connection, but it wasn't from the Vaseline.
--
Dana
Port Kent, NY

2002 Saturn LW300
93 Jeep YJ - I4 - 125k mi.
90 Jeep XJ Ltd. - I6 - 145k mi.
---------------
95 Grand Cherokee Ltd.
91 Grand Wagoneer Ltd.
82 Cherokee 4dr
76 Cherokee 2dr

. net...

Old December 11th 05, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

From the Facilities Engineer Branch of the U.S. Department of the Interior:

4.2.1. Petrolatum.-Petrolatum (trade the formation of oxides. However, when
wet, name Vaseline) is perhaps the first- used joint compound. It aids in
preventing oxidation and aids in excluding moisture from connections. It is
still useful in making copper and plated copper connections.

4.2.2. NO-OX-ID.- This grade "A special" is a petroleum base compound with
higher melting point, higher oxidation resistance, and better weathering
characteristics than petrolatum. It is widely used for copper-to-copper or
bronze-to-bronze bus connections

Basically, the Vaseline will prevent oxidation if the OUTSIDE of the
connector is coated in it. Since it is also a poor electrical conductor,
putting it BETWEEN conductors is counter productive. Since it will wear or
"weather" off, it is only useful for a limited amount of time.

"Dana Rohleder" > wrote in message
> No. It could have had a bad connection, but it wasn't from the Vaseline.
> --
> Dana
> Port Kent, NY
>
> 2002 Saturn LW300
> 93 Jeep YJ - I4 - 125k mi.
> 90 Jeep XJ Ltd. - I6 - 145k mi.
> ---------------
> 95 Grand Cherokee Ltd.
> 91 Grand Wagoneer Ltd.
> 82 Cherokee 4dr
> 76 Cherokee 2dr
>
> "Shiquiliq" > wrote in message
> . net...
> > Hi, I just had the battery replaced on my Saturn last summer. It

suddenly
> > died two days ago, and the tow truck operator thought it's a bad

operator.
> > But the mechanic is telling me the alternator is fine, and the guy who

put
> > the battery in had put vaseline on the terminals, which caused a bad
> > connection. He said that "although they say to put vaseline on the
> > battery terminals, that's the worst thing you can do, because it leads

> > a bad connection". Is this true??

Adding a second auxiliary battery to a Westfalia Camper Colm VW water cooled 2 October 24th 05 09:10 PM
Battery goes flat quickly Old Wolf Technology 3 August 1st 05 09:28 PM
new alternator - battery light on, but still charging at 16v? [email protected] Technology 8 February 11th 05 11:38 PM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 11:54 PM
Replacing Corroded Battery Cables for SL1 2000 Chris Gutierrez Saturn 2 June 28th 04 03:40 AM