service engine light

Old September 22nd 04, 10:40 PM
saturnsl1year96

Default service engine light

My service engine light keeps coming on. When I stop the car and turn it
off...then start it up again, the light usually goes out. If I don't turn
the car off, the light will stay on the entire time that I am
driving...but usually it goes off after I've turned the car off and start
it again. The car seems alright, no funny noises or driving problems.
Its a 96 sl1 saturn that has 120k on it...oil change has been done
recently. Any suggestions?

Old September 22nd 04, 10:48 PM
Bob Shuman

You need to read the computer's error code to determine why it illuminated
the SES light. Our local Autozone will read the code for free and tell you
the reason with the assumption you will buy your parts there for the repair.
You just need the light on when they read it...

Same thing happened on my son's 1996 SL1 (light would go off on its own and
then return when driving) and it turned out to be the EGR valve. We were
able to remove the valve and clean it out. The total cost was $3 for the EGR
gasket. That was about 10K miles back and the light has not come on again
since then.

Good luck.

Bob

lkaboutautos.com...

Old September 22nd 04, 11:35 PM
saturnsl1year96

Thank you! Husband is gone...how long can I wait on it?

Old September 23rd 04, 04:21 PM
Bob Shuman

Without knowing the reason it's illuminated, it is not really possible to
answer your question. If you have an Autozone close to your house, then
take it there and ask the person behind the counter to read your OBD-II
service engine code. If it is the EGR, as I suspect it might be, then you
can wait till he returns but your vehicle will be outside emissions
standards and if running rich for too long can damage the catalytic
converter.

Old September 27th 04, 11:26 PM
Oppie

Depends on whether the light was flashing or on solid.
Flashing means that the vehicle should not be driven (might catch fire like
Jonnie Santos').
Solid on means that the controller has detected a problem but the car is
still drivable.
When in doubt get it checked ASAP. A simple test by any garage will tell you
whether the car should be driven. Peace of mind is good.