Tyre Wear

Old December 17th 04, 07:13 PM
Richard Goulding

Default Tyre Wear

I have noticed that my front tyres are wearing more on the inside of the
tread than the outside. I don't think it is severe as the tyres have done at
least 22,000 miles and they are still reasonable. I am going to replace them
soon but wonder whether this wear pattern is something to worry about. I do
not notice any particular handling problems apart from some tramlining which
I put down to tyre wear. I know that I need to get the tracking checked but
the car is an Audi A4 Quattro and I don't want some inexperienced tyre
fitter playing with my 4 wheel alignment. As I say it handles ok. I've had
suggestions that this could be due to Power steering also.

Any comments please,

Richard

<<<<<< crossposted to alt.autos.audi, uk.rec.cars.maintenance >>>>>>

Old December 17th 04, 07:17 PM
mrcheerful

"Richard Goulding" > wrote in message
>I have noticed that my front tyres are wearing more on the inside of the
> tread than the outside. I don't think it is severe as the tyres have done
> at
> least 22,000 miles and they are still reasonable. I am going to replace
> them
> soon but wonder whether this wear pattern is something to worry about. I
> do
> not notice any particular handling problems apart from some tramlining
> which
> I put down to tyre wear. I know that I need to get the tracking checked
> but
> the car is an Audi A4 Quattro and I don't want some inexperienced tyre
> fitter playing with my 4 wheel alignment. As I say it handles ok. I've had
> suggestions that this could be due to Power steering also.
>
> Any comments please,
>
> Richard
>
> <<<<<< crossposted to alt.autos.audi, uk.rec.cars.maintenance >>>>>>

it may be that you have slight excess toe out, get it checked and decide for
yourself before adjustment

Old December 17th 04, 07:20 PM
Ted Rubbeford

"Richard Goulding" > wrote in message
>I have noticed that my front tyres are wearing more on the inside of the
> tread than the outside. I don't think it is severe as the tyres have done
> at
> least 22,000 miles and they are still reasonable. I am going to replace
> them
> soon but wonder whether this wear pattern is something to worry about. I
> do
> not notice any particular handling problems apart from some tramlining
> which
> I put down to tyre wear. I know that I need to get the tracking checked
> but
> the car is an Audi A4 Quattro and I don't want some inexperienced tyre
> fitter playing with my 4 wheel alignment. As I say it handles ok. I've had
> suggestions that this could be due to Power steering also.
>
> Any comments please,
>
> Richard
>
> <<<<<< crossposted to alt.autos.audi, uk.rec.cars.maintenance >>>>>>

Ted Rubberford.
'The Man In The Red Latex Skintight Suit'

Old December 17th 04, 10:03 PM
Steve Sears

Richard,
Wear on the inside of the tyres seems to indicate ball joint problems
causing excessive camber (tyre lean - top inwards). Depending on the
vintage of A4 there have been myriad problems with failing ball joints -
some have been covered by warranty, some by recall. I'd stop in at the
dealer and see if yours is covered.
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Old December 18th 04, 11:27 AM
Doki

Richard Goulding wrote:
> I have noticed that my front tyres are wearing more on the inside of
> the tread than the outside. I don't think it is severe as the tyres
> have done at least 22,000 miles and they are still reasonable. I am
> going to replace them soon but wonder whether this wear pattern is
> something to worry about. I do not notice any particular handling
> problems apart from some tramlining which I put down to tyre wear. I
> know that I need to get the tracking checked but the car is an Audi
> A4 Quattro and I don't want some inexperienced tyre fitter playing
> with my 4 wheel alignment. As I say it handles ok. I've had
> suggestions that this could be due to Power steering also.

I'd be tempted to get it checked by an Audi dealer, an accident repair
company or a motorsport type place. They should have tracking gear that's
better than the average tyre fitting place has (I've been ringing around
today, and it doesn't seem many places check camber, just tracking). And 4WD
tracking sounds like it could be very complicated to me (adjustable rear
end?).

Old December 18th 04, 12:22 PM
Richard Goulding

"Steve Sears" > wrote in message
. ..
> Richard,
> Wear on the inside of the tyres seems to indicate ball joint problems
> causing excessive camber (tyre lean - top inwards). Depending on the
> vintage of A4 there have been myriad problems with failing ball joints -
> some have been covered by warranty, some by recall. I'd stop in at the
> dealer and see if yours is covered.
> Cheers!
> Steve Sears

Thanks for the reply.

The car is 2000 Audi A4 Quattro. I had an MOT done at the Audi dealer 2
months ago while the car was still under warranty and they did not find
anything wrong then. The problem was evident at the time.

Richard

Old December 18th 04, 12:26 PM
DuncanWood

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:27:08 -0000, Doki > wrote:

> Richard Goulding wrote:
>> I have noticed that my front tyres are wearing more on the inside of
>> the tread than the outside. I don't think it is severe as the tyres
>> have done at least 22,000 miles and they are still reasonable. I am
>> going to replace them soon but wonder whether this wear pattern is
>> something to worry about. I do not notice any particular handling
>> problems apart from some tramlining which I put down to tyre wear. I
>> know that I need to get the tracking checked but the car is an Audi
>> A4 Quattro and I don't want some inexperienced tyre fitter playing
>> with my 4 wheel alignment. As I say it handles ok. I've had
>> suggestions that this could be due to Power steering also.

> I'd be tempted to get it checked by an Audi dealer, an accident repair
> company or a motorsport type place. They should have tracking gear that's
> better than the average tyre fitting place has (I've been ringing around
> today, and it doesn't seem many places check camber, just tracking). And
> 4WD
> tracking sounds like it could be very complicated to me (adjustable rear
> end?).

Depends on where you are but google for 4 wheel laser alignment locally
e.g. http://www.wallaceperformance.co.uk/rollingroad.html
& you should find someone who can do caster & camber.
Old December 18th 04, 12:28 PM
Richard Goulding

"Doki" > wrote in message

> Richard Goulding wrote:
> > I have noticed that my front tyres are wearing more on the inside of
> > the tread than the outside. I don't think it is severe as the tyres
> > have done at least 22,000 miles and they are still reasonable. I am
> > going to replace them soon but wonder whether this wear pattern is
> > something to worry about. I do not notice any particular handling
> > problems apart from some tramlining which I put down to tyre wear. I
> > know that I need to get the tracking checked but the car is an Audi
> > A4 Quattro and I don't want some inexperienced tyre fitter playing
> > with my 4 wheel alignment. As I say it handles ok. I've had
> > suggestions that this could be due to Power steering also.

> I'd be tempted to get it checked by an Audi dealer, an accident repair
> company or a motorsport type place. They should have tracking gear that's
> better than the average tyre fitting place has (I've been ringing around
> today, and it doesn't seem many places check camber, just tracking). And

4WD
> tracking sounds like it could be very complicated to me (adjustable rear
> end?).

Thanks for the reply.

It is more complicated than just normal so I am reluctant to take it to a
tyre place. But Audi dealers charge ridiculous amounts ( I've heard up to
£200) for an alignment check. I want to avoid this if it turns out the wear
is 'normal'.

Richard

Old December 18th 04, 01:08 PM
mrcheerful

"Richard Goulding" > wrote in message

> "Doki" > wrote in message
>>

>> Richard Goulding wrote:
>> > I have noticed that my front tyres are wearing more on the inside of
>> > the tread than the outside. I don't think it is severe as the tyres
>> > have done at least 22,000 miles and they are still reasonable. I am
>> > going to replace them soon but wonder whether this wear pattern is
>> > something to worry about. I do not notice any particular handling
>> > problems apart from some tramlining which I put down to tyre wear. I
>> > know that I need to get the tracking checked but the car is an Audi
>> > A4 Quattro and I don't want some inexperienced tyre fitter playing
>> > with my 4 wheel alignment. As I say it handles ok. I've had
>> > suggestions that this could be due to Power steering also.

>> I'd be tempted to get it checked by an Audi dealer, an accident repair
>> company or a motorsport type place. They should have tracking gear that's
>> better than the average tyre fitting place has (I've been ringing around
>> today, and it doesn't seem many places check camber, just tracking). And

> 4WD
>> tracking sounds like it could be very complicated to me (adjustable rear
>> end?).
>>

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> It is more complicated than just normal so I am reluctant to take it to a
> tyre place. But Audi dealers charge ridiculous amounts ( I've heard up to
> £200) for an alignment check. I want to avoid this if it turns out the
> wear
> is 'normal'.
>
> Richard

Get a simple car like a Fiesta or something, you shouldn't buy a car that
you can't afford to run, expenses like this are part and parcel of having a
car which only a few years ago would have been able to compete in
international motorsport and win.

It is complex and this is why you have to pay a lot in maintenance.

mrcheerful

Old December 18th 04, 01:35 PM
Petri Rehtonen

On 2004-12-18, mrcheerful . > wrote:

> Get a simple car like a Fiesta or something, you shouldn't buy a car that
> you can't afford to run, expenses like this are part and parcel of having a
> car which only a few years ago would have been able to compete in
> international motorsport and win.
>
> It is complex and this is why you have to pay a lot in maintenance.

It seems that mrcheerful has a fiesta to be sold...

£50 (or 50e) should be enough for 4-wheel alignment.

--
Petri Rehtonen

driving on flat tyre ? NC Alfa Romeo 4 January 7th 05 11:23 AM
Tyre Wear - 156 2.0 Ts Veloce Graeme Cosgrove Alfa Romeo 13 December 24th 04 09:10 AM
156 Quiet Tyre reccomendation - UK Steve P Alfa Romeo 2 October 4th 04 07:46 PM
Tyre profile Steve Hill Alfa Romeo 4 June 4th 04 07:12 AM
Alfa 164 Tyre Pressures - Info needed Tom Boltwood Alfa Romeo 5 April 30th 04 11:06 PM