Tyre Wear - 156 2.0 Ts Veloce

Old December 21st 04, 07:53 PM
Graeme Cosgrove

Default Tyre Wear - 156 2.0 Ts Veloce

My 2002 156 just failed it's first MOT because of the wear on the front
tyres. The inners are worn right down, and the rest of the tyres are down
to the wear indicators. I put these boots on in January this year e.g. 11
months ago! They are Goodyears and I expected better than 12,000 miles out
of them!!!

The car is driven, er "vigerously" most days and sometimes
"enthusiastically" (well what's the point in having one?) on other days,
which explains the xx penalty points on the licence...but TYRES AS WELL???

I am having Dunlops put on tomorrow - is this a better choice or should I
just buy a diesel Golf (and be rich but miserable)?

Couldn't have come at a better time - bah, humbug...

Old December 21st 04, 08:33 PM
Ross

"Graeme Cosgrove" > wrote in message
> My 2002 156 just failed it's first MOT because of the wear on the front
> tyres. The inners are worn right down, and the rest of the tyres are down
> to the wear indicators. I put these boots on in January this year e.g. 11
> months ago! They are Goodyears and I expected better than 12,000 miles

out
> of them!!!
>
> The car is driven, er "vigerously" most days and sometimes
> "enthusiastically" (well what's the point in having one?) on other

days,.......

Sounds about right if that's how you drive! :-)

The Goodyear's on my 147 (1.6) lasted 17,000 miles, most of which was fairly
gentle driving. My regular route doesn't give much opportunity for
"vigorous" or "enthusiastic", that's only a rare treat!

I was shocked at how worn they were on the inside when the old tyres came
off, but apparently "they all do that" 'cause that's how the steering
geometry is set up.

> I am having Dunlops put on tomorrow - is this a better choice

I can't comment on the Dunlop's, but I've driven 147 and 156 courtesy cars
with Firestone's on and they were horrible! No grip & no feel compared to
the Goodyear's, but they were
quieter and apparently last over 20,000 miles...which wouldn't be a good
thing in my opinion.

>Couldn't have come at a better time - bah, humbug...

Happy Christmas, Mr Scrooge! :-)

Regards
Ross

Old December 21st 04, 09:34 PM
SteveH

Graeme Cosgrove > wrote:

> My 2002 156 just failed it's first MOT because of the wear on the front
> tyres. The inners are worn right down, and the rest of the tyres are down
> to the wear indicators. I put these boots on in January this year e.g. 11
> months ago! They are Goodyears and I expected better than 12,000 miles out
> of them!!!
>
> The car is driven, er "vigerously" most days and sometimes
> "enthusiastically" (well what's the point in having one?) on other days,
> which explains the xx penalty points on the licence...but TYRES AS WELL???
>
> I am having Dunlops put on tomorrow - is this a better choice or should I
> just buy a diesel Golf (and be rich but miserable)?
>
> Couldn't have come at a better time - bah, humbug...

Sounds decent enough to me - I don't expect much more than 6-8k miles
from the fronts on a quick FWD car.

VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - VW Passat 1.8T 20V SE - COSOC KOTL
Old December 21st 04, 09:52 PM
Neil G

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:53:24 -0000, "Graeme Cosgrove"
> wrote:

>My 2002 156 just failed it's first MOT because of the wear on the front
>tyres. The inners are worn right down, and the rest of the tyres are down
>to the wear indicators.

I had the same on my Firestones. Check your pressures regularly and
particulary tracking.

Neil
Old December 21st 04, 11:13 PM
Alfistagj

Well, that's a decent mileage!
And the wear pattern is more or less even.
Nevertheless I would have the alignment checked.
I do 20-25000km (12-15000mi) with my fronts.
Have 215/45*17
Good experience with Dunlop SP9000 as well as Goodyear Eagle F1
Also good are the Pirelli P7000, but lower mileage and a lot more noise.
Unfortunately (?) my present 156SW is a company lease car so I cannot
determine for 100% what tyres they put on.
On my 155's (had 2 of them) also good expereince with Michelin's which in
general are the best tyres for Alfa's.
and, hardly bad tyres are made.
As long as you stick to the major brands, they will be more or less similar
with one tyre more sproty, the other better in rain and the 3rd....
Just avoid Firestone and Continental (that's my opinion though)
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"Graeme Cosgrove" > schreef in bericht

Old December 22nd 04, 12:38 AM
Grahame

Hi Graeme,

I had exactly the same problem on my old 156.

Wore out my first set of front tyres in 10K (inner edges bald).

Took the car to Alfa dealer. Alfa said the fronts were correctly aligned.
Bought and fitted new fronts - 10K later inner edges bald - outer edges
3+mm.

Took the car to Kwikfit - they said the tracking was a MILE out - they
adjusted, fit a new set of (same brand) tyres - 15K later (when I sold the
car) the fronts were wearing evenly and still had more than legal tread.

Grahame.

Old December 22nd 04, 12:56 AM
Domestos

> Took the car to Alfa dealer. Alfa said the fronts were correctly aligned.

> Took the car to Kwikfit - they said the tracking was a MILE out

Interesting - two possibilites, Either your Alfa dealers are crap and tried
to get more money out you by your tyres wearing down, or the tyre were
aligned properly, Kwik fit tried to pull a fast one by altering the tracking
and actully put it right...

Actually reading back what I wrote just sounds bollox... please ignore me...
haw haw

Domestos

Old December 22nd 04, 05:33 PM
Neil G

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:42:32 GMT, Zathras
> wrote:

>I'm now heading for 30,000 miles on my front Continental Sport Contact
>1 tyres! These are tyres that were heading for trouble with noticeable
>inside edge wear by 9,000 miles and I thought they would have been
>wrecked by 12,000 miles due to the factory Veloce 'misalignment'.
>
>Up until the garage re-aligned it, even the rears were wearing and
>(ignoring the inside edge wear) all four tyres were going to need
>replacement by 15,000 miles. After re-alignment at 9,000 miles, she's
>been extraordinarily (and I think amazingly) light on her feet.
>
>BTW, I don't drive slowly or spend much time on motorways.

Zath, how did you come to find out about this issue with the Veloce
spec? Symptons tie in nicely with my experience.

Off to tyre shop tomorrow. She felt too damn heavy today!

Neil
Old December 22nd 04, 05:50 PM
Zathras

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:33:50 +0000, Neil G > wrote:

<snip>
>Zath, how did you come to find out about this issue with the Veloce
>spec? Symptons tie in nicely with my experience.

The car came back from a Main Dealer service in mid 2002 and was
cornering subtly differently (not quite as sharp). I had pointed out
the tyre wear to the dealer and there was much talk at the time about
it. IIRC, the 20mm factory lowered suspension had been setup to
maximise performance on a race track! This wasn't ideal for the road
so it was changed. All dealers should know the updated settings now -
this issue cropped up a long time ago.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)

156 Quiet Tyre reccomendation - UK Steve P Alfa Romeo 2 October 4th 04 07:46 PM
child seat for an alfa spider veloce hhatza Alfa Romeo 2 August 30th 04 07:37 PM
2.4 JTD Lipari Grey Veloce - Black Mirrors! Martin Alfa Romeo 16 July 26th 04 03:25 PM
Tyre profile Steve Hill Alfa Romeo 4 June 4th 04 07:12 AM
Alfa 164 Tyre Pressures - Info needed Tom Boltwood Alfa Romeo 5 April 30th 04 11:06 PM