325i Oil light question

Old October 22nd 07, 11:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
LJ

Default 325i Oil light question

I have a 2002 325i w/75000 miles. the amber oil light comes on after 30
seconds and remains on for 15 seconds every time I start the car. The oil
is full and it indicates that the next service isn;t due for another 9500
miles. I suspect a sensor, but the fact that this condition occurs no
matter if the car is cold or warm and seems to occur with un-varying
intervals causes me to wonder if there may be some other electronic issue.
My understanding is that a sensor cahnge is about a $400 operation that I
would like to avoid if at all possible (especally if that isn;t the
problem ).
Is anyone familiar with this?

Old October 28th 07, 01:27 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
hepcatal

On Oct 22, 6:56 pm, "LJ" > wrote:
> I have a 2002 325i w/75000 miles. the amber oil light comes on after 30
> seconds and remains on for 15 seconds every time I start the car. The oil
> is full and it indicates that the next service isn;t due for another 9500
> miles. I suspect a sensor, but the fact that this condition occurs no
> matter if the car is cold or warm and seems to occur with un-varying
> intervals causes me to wonder if there may be some other electronic issue.
> My understanding is that a sensor cahnge is about a $400 operation that I
> would like to avoid if at all possible (especally if that isn;t the
> problem ).
> Is anyone familiar with this?

Did you check ALL the fuses. check for voltage at the sensor. chances
are the sensor is faulty. why not wait unitl your next oil change to
repalce the sensor. this way the oil is already out of the engine, the
sensor is easy to change when there is no oil in the engine. 3 10mm
nuts and it's out. just as simple to install. good luck.

Old October 28th 07, 01:55 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"hepcatal" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Oct 22, 6:56 pm, "LJ" > wrote:
>> I have a 2002 325i w/75000 miles. the amber oil light comes on after 30
>> seconds and remains on for 15 seconds every time I start the car. The
>> oil
>> is full and it indicates that the next service isn;t due for another 9500
>> miles. I suspect a sensor, but the fact that this condition occurs no
>> matter if the car is cold or warm and seems to occur with un-varying
>> intervals causes me to wonder if there may be some other electronic
>> issue.
>> My understanding is that a sensor cahnge is about a $400 operation that I
>> would like to avoid if at all possible (especally if that isn;t the
>> problem ).
>> Is anyone familiar with this?

> Did you check ALL the fuses. check for voltage at the sensor. chances
> are the sensor is faulty. why not wait unitl your next oil change to
> repalce the sensor. this way the oil is already out of the engine, the
> sensor is easy to change when there is no oil in the engine. 3 10mm
> nuts and it's out. just as simple to install. good luck.

It's not a fuse problem. It also is not likely to be a hardware problem.

The issue, as it was explained to me, is that the software has an incorrect
sample time. A new sensor can cure the problem, but the fact is, the problem
is not realyy a problem. If the light comes on at any other time beside the
few seconds at start up, there is a bonafied problem, otherwise all there is
is a sampling error.

Old October 28th 07, 04:45 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
LJ

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> "hepcatal" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> On Oct 22, 6:56 pm, "LJ" > wrote:
>>> I have a 2002 325i w/75000 miles. the amber oil light comes on after 30
>>> seconds and remains on for 15 seconds every time I start the car. The
>>> oil
>>> is full and it indicates that the next service isn;t due for another
>>> 9500
>>> miles. I suspect a sensor, but the fact that this condition occurs no
>>> matter if the car is cold or warm and seems to occur with un-varying
>>> intervals causes me to wonder if there may be some other electronic
>>> issue.
>>> My understanding is that a sensor cahnge is about a $400 operation that
>>> would like to avoid if at all possible (especally if that isn;t the
>>> problem ).
>>> Is anyone familiar with this?

>> Did you check ALL the fuses. check for voltage at the sensor. chances
>> are the sensor is faulty. why not wait unitl your next oil change to
>> repalce the sensor. this way the oil is already out of the engine, the
>> sensor is easy to change when there is no oil in the engine. 3 10mm
>> nuts and it's out. just as simple to install. good luck.
>>

> It's not a fuse problem. It also is not likely to be a hardware problem.
>
> The issue, as it was explained to me, is that the software has an
> incorrect >

> sample time. A new sensor can cure the problem, but the fact is, the
> problem is not realyy a problem. If the light comes on at any other time
> beside the few seconds at start up, there is a bonafied problem, otherwise
> all there is is a sampling error.

Thanks for your input, Jeff. That is exactly what concerned me. I'd hate to
pay the $150 +/- for the new sensor if that wasn't the real problem. The
light only comes on during that one situation and my past experience with
faulty sensors is that they either don't work at all or they work
sporadically. What is the best way to get this corrected?

Old October 28th 07, 04:57 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"LJ" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
>>
>> "hepcatal" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>>
>>> Did you check ALL the fuses. check for voltage at the sensor. chances
>>> are the sensor is faulty. why not wait unitl your next oil change to
>>> repalce the sensor. this way the oil is already out of the engine, the
>>> sensor is easy to change when there is no oil in the engine. 3 10mm
>>> nuts and it's out. just as simple to install. good luck.
>>>

>> It's not a fuse problem. It also is not likely to be a hardware problem.
>>
>> The issue, as it was explained to me, is that the software has an
>> incorrect >

>> sample time. A new sensor can cure the problem, but the fact is, the
>> problem is not realyy a problem. If the light comes on at any other time
>> beside the few seconds at start up, there is a bonafied problem,
>> otherwise all there is is a sampling error.

> Thanks for your input, Jeff. That is exactly what concerned me. I'd hate
> to pay the $150 +/- for the new sensor if that wasn't the real problem.
> The light only comes on during that one situation and my past experience
> with faulty sensors is that they either don't work at all or they work
> sporadically. What is the best way to get this corrected?

My daughter has a '00 323, and when the motor is started, the oil light
comes on with the key, goes out then comes on again 30-ish seconds after the
motor is started. It remains on for 30-ish seconds and then goes out, and
never lights again.

We (I) asked two different places and they both gave the same response.

The way to fix it is to replace the sensor, three bolts and a connector
(easy stuff at home). But since there is no actual problem, and a true Low
Oil Condition will still be reported when it happens, why worry that a false
Low Oil Condition is reported at startup? If you know without a doubt that
the oil level is where it should be, then you have a false report that is no
big deal.

A new sensor will work within the sample period of the software, and this
will solve the problem. But the current sensor works, just not within the
sample period. The result is a report of a failed sensor ONLY because the
sample period is not as large as the sensor needs.

88 325i oil service light waltsch BMW 2 October 7th 05 03:32 AM
e 36 93 325i coil question question RAN & SAN BMW 4 May 8th 05 01:08 PM
1991 325i Auto Question Delboy BMW 4 March 10th 05 10:28 PM
90 325i- 6 button OBC question.. [email protected] BMW 3 February 4th 05 02:24 PM
1990 325i - 6 button OBC question.. [email protected] BMW 2 February 3rd 05 09:05 PM