generator to alternator conversion

Old December 25th 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson

Default generator to alternator conversion

Tuomas Hosia wrote:
> "Bugger" > wrote:
>
>> I ended up just using the 6 volt starter on 12 volts. It really kicks the engine
>> over.

> IMHO the only rational way to do it. Not The Right Way(TM), but 6V starter
> is very durable motor and will last many years if not overheated.
>
> I've a -63 KG and it was (by PPO) converted to 12 volts in 1992, I changed
> the engine last summer and as the new engine had 12V flywheel, I had to
> change the starter too. Easier to replace than flywheel with re-balancing
> everything etc..
>
> So 14 years of regular usage (in summer, Jan surely has told about Finnish
> weather...) and nothing wrong so far, so I'd say it will last as long as any
> 12V starter if not overheated.
>
> Tuomas

Finnish weather.. hmm... nope, don't miss it at all
I hear you didn't even get snow this christmas.

Jan
Old December 27th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Tuomas Hosia

Jan Andersson > kirjoitteli seuraavaa:

(OT, sorry ... local weather report)

>Finnish weather.. hmm... nope, don't miss it at all

I wouldn't either.

But so far no other options.

>I hear you didn't even get snow this christmas.

Yes and not even for new years eve either. Somewhere next week, maybe.

(Very rare, I don't remember many black new years eves and I can easily
remember 20 years back. A year ago there was about 10 inches snow around
here and year before that 20 inches.)

Tuomas
--
(Tuomas Hosia) DoD#1684 \ On paljon hauskempi olla pakanana,
Lappeenranta University of Technology \ ei tarvitse koskaan olla vakavana.