Gas in the OIL

Old February 16th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.O.W.

Default Gas in the OIL

besides a cracked carb. body, how could gas get into the oil?

--
when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
problems tend to look like nails.
Old February 16th 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mac[_3_]

" P.O.W." > wrote in message
> besides a cracked carb. body, how could gas get into the oil?
>
> --
> when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
> problems tend to look like nails.

Same thing happened to me..... it ended up being a bad float needle and I
was parking it uphill so I actually put about a gallon of gas into my oil
sump. Believe it or not it started and I was about to drive to work in it
when I saw the stream of oil/gas running down the driveway out of the
flywheel seal and then I new it was and engine pull at least!

Mac

Old February 16th 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
bug '59[_2_]

Most likely the fuelpump is the cullprit

Roger

" P.O.W." > schreef in bericht

Old February 16th 08, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson

bug '59 wrote:
> Most likely the fuelpump is the cullprit
>
> Roger
>
> " P.O.W." > schreef in bericht
>> besides a cracked carb. body, how could gas get into the oil?
>>
>> --
>> when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
>> problems tend to look like nails.

Another vote for internal fuel pump leak

Old February 16th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mac[_3_]

"bug '59" > wrote in message
.. .
> Most likely the fuelpump is the cullprit
>
> Roger
>
> " P.O.W." > schreef in bericht
>> besides a cracked carb. body, how could gas get into the oil?
>>
>> --
>> when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
>> problems tend to look like nails.

Sorry I should have mentioned this before but I based my experience to you
with an electric fuel pump stationed under the fuel tank not the original
mechanicle pump......

Mac

Old February 17th 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Leopold Stotch[_2_]

Mac wrote:
> " P.O.W." > wrote in message
>> besides a cracked carb. body, how could gas get into the oil?
>>
>> --
>> when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
>> problems tend to look like nails.

> Same thing happened to me..... it ended up being a bad float needle and I
> was parking it uphill so I actually put about a gallon of gas into my oil
> sump. Believe it or not it started and I was about to drive to work in it
> when I saw the stream of oil/gas running down the driveway out of the
> flywheel seal and then I new it was and engine pull at least!
>
> Mac

I second the float valve idea. Once I had my float valve almost fall
into the carb bowl. Whoever worked on the carb last did not completely
tighten it and it backed itself out. As it was about to come out it
leaked gas around the thread and like the previous poster it was parked
with the nose pointed uphill and the tank was higher than the carb. The
car refused to start after a lot of trying. Popped the engine deck and
was just looking around when I happened to pull the dipstick. It was
*way* too full and I was trying to figure out how oil had managed to
magically appear in my crankcase. Then I noticed that the oil was
unusually thin and smelled of gasoline.