Aftermarket stereo

Old June 22nd 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Aftermarket stereo

Hey guys i've been reading all your post about the factory stereo in
the new vw's and had a few questions.
First im in stalling a new stereo in an 02 jetta from deck to subs.
do you have to take the whole dash apart? Also the wire called the "k"
wire i hear your suppose to cut it, its that true, and which one is
that?
Next it has the factory amp in it and i was wondering how to bypass
that? Also if i bypass it do i have to rewire all the factory
speakers?
Any info would help you can email and links or tips to
Thank you guys.

Old June 22nd 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Mister.Lull

On Jun 21, 9:56 pm, wrote:
> Hey guys i've been reading all your post about the factory stereo in
> the new vw's and had a few questions.
> First im in stalling a new stereo in an 02 jetta from deck to subs.
> do you have to take the whole dash apart? Also the wire called the "k"
> wire i hear your suppose to cut it, its that true, and which one is
> that?
> Next it has the factory amp in it and i was wondering how to bypass
> that? Also if i bypass it do i have to rewire all the factory
> speakers?
> Any info would help you can email and links or tips to
> Thank you guys.

I'll only answer to what I know:

If there's a factory amp that you want to bypass and it's running all
of the speakers - you will either have to wire the aftermarket deck to
that amp, or you will have to rewire all the speakers from the new
deck. A lot of car stereos with a factory amp use speakers that
aren't meant to handle the power from an aftermarket deck. What that
means is that if you want your speakers to last any decent amount of
time, you'll have to buy all new aftermarket speakers as well...

If you're happy with the volume and sound of your speakers, I would
try to wire the new deck to the existing amplifier.
Otherwise you're going to be better off replacing the deck, the
speaker wiring, and the speakers all at once.

~Mister.Lull

Old June 23rd 07, 05:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Dave[_39_]

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Hey guys i've been reading all your post about the factory stereo in
> the new vw's and had a few questions.
> First im in stalling a new stereo in an 02 jetta from deck to subs.
> do you have to take the whole dash apart? Also the wire called the "k"
> wire i hear your suppose to cut it, its that true, and which one is
> that?
> Next it has the factory amp in it and i was wondering how to bypass
> that? Also if i bypass it do i have to rewire all the factory
> speakers?
> Any info would help you can email and links or tips to
> Thank you guys.

With car speakers, you have to be concerned with both wattage input to them,
AND, the ohm rating. I've dealt with 8 and 4 ohm speakers. Haven't fooled
with same for over a decade.

Some stereo kits can be ordered with adapter kits so you can plug directly
into the system wiring harness for the original stereo.
Dave