Start/Shift Problems with 2001 VW Golf GTI

Old June 23rd 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Start/Shift Problems with 2001 VW Golf GTI

I have a 2001 VW GTI Golf Automatic. This happens once every two weeks
or so: I turn off the car, then come back to it and try to turn it on,
and it struggles and wont ignite. Then after 3-4 tries, it will ignite
but then the gears wont shift at all and the check engine sign is on.
I have to drive in first gear for like a week before it somehow fixes
itself and then drives perfectly normal. Anyone want to explain to me
what is happening? don't tell me to go to a mechanic because i've done
that a few times and they never know what the problem is.

Old June 24th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

go to better mechanic who knows VW's.

oups.com...

Old June 24th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

=P we went to a Polish guy and he checked out the VW fault codes and
found the problem to be something with the cable. During driving the
cable viabrates and losens the connection between the 2 wires which
are both connected to eachother. They losen up and send a fault to the
computer which tell the computer to keep the car in first gear so that
the problem does not progress (a problem which does not exist). The
fault problem being that there is different information on 2 different
computer in the car (Engine and Transmission computer) about the RPM
and temperatures in different parts of the car so the computer assumes
that something totally must be screwed up and makes the car stay in
first gear. So the guy secured the cable and that fixed the fault in
the car. We still have to see if this is acually the exact problem
because we're not too sure yet. But he's been more helpful then VW
people. VW mechanics don't know crap about their own VW's. They
couldn't fix anything and they charged us for it! While we got free
service for a Polish friend and he fixed it and was very helpful.

Old June 26th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Does he make good perogies?

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> =P we went to a Polish guy and he checked out the VW fault codes and
> found the problem to be something with the cable. During driving the
> cable viabrates and losens the connection between the 2 wires which
> are both connected to eachother. They losen up and send a fault to the
> computer which tell the computer to keep the car in first gear so that
> the problem does not progress (a problem which does not exist). The
> fault problem being that there is different information on 2 different
> computer in the car (Engine and Transmission computer) about the RPM
> and temperatures in different parts of the car so the computer assumes
> that something totally must be screwed up and makes the car stay in
> first gear. So the guy secured the cable and that fixed the fault in
> the car. We still have to see if this is acually the exact problem
> because we're not too sure yet. But he's been more helpful then VW
> people. VW mechanics don't know crap about their own VW's. They
> couldn't fix anything and they charged us for it! While we got free
> service for a Polish friend and he fixed it and was very helpful.

2002 2.0L Golf Won't Shift out of Park [email protected] VW water cooled 3 March 23rd 07 04:36 AM
trans shift problems truckdriver Dodge 2 February 25th 07 02:23 AM
96 ZJ 4wd shift linkage problems jqsdcx Jeep 2 December 15th 06 11:56 PM
Automatic Vanagon Must Shift to Start [email protected] VW water cooled 2 November 3rd 06 08:11 PM
Stick Shift Problems Lani General 2 December 29th 04 04:54 PM