Video of US Federal Route 66 (NEW)

Old November 22nd 09, 10:27 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ca.driving,uk.transport
Carl ROGÉRS

Default Video of US Federal Route 66 (NEW)

Hi Viatologists,

The Worldwide Transportation Library now shares a video of historic US
Federal Route 66:

http://wwtl.info/#hist-66v.html

The video, taken near the Californian town of Barstow, demonstrates
the road's curvature through the Mojave Desert. The road is still
true to its original alignment, with scattered vertical curves and
ruins of old service stations past. The route is no longer used by
general traffic, which is reserved for nearby Interstate 40.

If you have a low-resolution computer (1024x768 or less), please use
the following link instead:

http://wwtl.info/hist-66v.html

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Carl Rogers
"Environment first, transportology second"
********
Worldwide Transportation Library (WWTL):
http://wwtl.info
http://m.wwtl.info [Mobile]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Complete coverage of international roads and railways.
Since 2000, we have offered several photographs, videos and
Virtual 360 captures -- to each viatologist & transportologist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
********
Old November 22nd 09, 10:44 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ca.driving,uk.transport
Steve Sobol

In article <c0389ef3-37b1-4ed7-b6ed-
>, says...

> The video, taken near the Californian town of Barstow,

Stay out of my back yard.

> the road's curvature through the Mojave Desert. The road is still
> true to its original alignment, with scattered vertical curves and
> ruins of old service stations past. The route is no longer used by
> general traffic, which is reserved for nearby Interstate 40.

Absolutely, utterly, completely wrong if you're anywhere close to
Barstow.

Old US 66 is National Trails Highway. It becomes Main Street in Barstow,
then it becomes National Trails Highway again near Lenwood, through
Helendale and Oro Grande into Victorville. Then it jogs along D Street
and turns south to join Seventh Street, Victorville's "main drag"... at
the southwestern end of Seventh Street, it merges with I-15 (which *IS*
the original US 66 alignment between Seventh Street/Palmdale Road and
Cajon Boulevard near Devore) before taking some back roads into San
Bernardino.

Coming out of San Bernardino you have the long stretch of old US 66
through the Inland Empire on 5th Street/Foothill Boulevard, except
through Glendora where US 66 is actually signed as "Historic US 66" and
Foothill runs a little to the south.

None of those roads are country/back roads (except near Devore, and
National Trail Highways through Helendale). All of the roads except the
roads through Devore are pretty heavily traveled.

Do your homework next time.

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, California, USA

Old November 22nd 09, 11:02 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ca.driving,uk.transport
Jeremy Parker

"Carl Rogers" > wrote in message
> Hi Viatologists,
>
> The Worldwide Transportation Library now shares a video of historic
> US
> Federal Route 66:

But, if you are posting on this newsgroup - uk transport - you must
be thinking of the A66, unless you got confused, through tiredness or
something, and pushed the wrong button when setting up your message
header.

The A66, of course goes over the Pennines, starting at Scotch Corner,
as it has done for two thousand years, and goes on to hit the Solway
Firth at Workington, as no doubt all proper viatalogists know.

However, there could be some bridges out right now, what with the
"thousand year flood" that Cumbria has just experienced

Jeremy Parker

Old November 22nd 09, 11:41 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ca.driving,uk.transport
Jon Enslin

On Nov 22, 4:27*pm, Carl Rogers > wrote:
> Hi Viatologists,
>
> The Worldwide Transportation Library now shares a video of historic US
> Federal Route 66:
>
> http://wwtl.info/#hist-66v.html

Sounds like narration for an elementary school movie.

Jon
Old November 23rd 09, 03:00 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ca.driving,uk.transport
Reality Check

"Carl Rogers" > wrote in message
| Hi Viat <bitch slap>

| If you have a low-resolution computer (1024x768 or less), please use
| the following link instead:
|
| http://wwtl.info/hist-66v.html

What, your automatic re-direct don't work any more, you cheap *******?

And that car looks new. You steal it from somewhere?

<bitch slap>

RC