DEWALT DW735 15 Amp 13-Inch Benchtop Planer

Old May 22nd 09, 01:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default DEWALT DW735 15 Amp 13-Inch Benchtop Planer

Price:$1,120.00
Image: http://thediscountlocator.info/image.php?id=B0000CCXU8
Best deal: http://thediscountlocator.info/index.php?id=B0000CCXU8

I bought this planer yesterday after work at the "Blue" home center. I was going to buy the DW734 12.5" planer, but decided this one looked better. Boy was I wrong. This planer has plenty of power and leaves a nice finish, but it snipes very, very badly, way beyond acceptable limits, and that was with a narrow, short piece of wood. They claim there is a built-in cutter head lock, but it must be a ghost. This thing snipes worse than a Ryobi without a cutter head lock. I returned it first thing this morning and bought the DW734. It is what I was looking for. With the cutter head locked, there is only 1 to 2 thousandths snipe, easy to sand off. Save yourself a bunch of money and buy the DW734. This planer, DW735, doesn't perform to the price tag. Buy the DW734.
I bought this planer with the intention of turning rough chainsaw-milled slabs into usable stock after recent storms took down a number of large black cherry trees on my property. 300+ board feet later, the knives remain sharp and free of nicks and the surface it produces is glassy smooth. Doesn't bog down at all, even removing 1/16" per pass from 12" cherry stock. The feed mechanism works well, even on the very irregular surface produced by chainsaw milling. Chip ejection is impressive - not having a dust-collection system, it blew chips 6' straight out into an outdoor pile. Snipe was limited, even with just "eyeballed" manual support of 10' lengths. Great machine. I'm actually looking forward to the next time storms take down some more trees!
I purchased a Dewalt 735 last weekend. I'm in the middle of a home building project, where I needed to plane 2500 board feet of cherry. My seven-year-old Makita burned out about half way through the project. So I decided to get a Dewalt, thinking that the dual speed would be helpful. It turns out that I didn't even use the dual speed feature. The "rough" speed gave me a good enough finish, at about the same timing as the Makita. The blades lasted for about 1800 board feet (one side) before starting to show wear. Although others have complained about the blades, I believe they are at least as good as those sold by Makita. The only real problem I ran into was with the feed stalling. I took off between 1/16" and 3/32" on 6- to 12-inch-wide stock. About every 200 board feet, the machine would have trouble feeding stock--even with a dust collector connected. I cleaned chips off the rollers and lubricate the bed, and it would last for about another 200 board feet. The feed rollers on the Makita would stall once in a while, but the problem is much worse on the Dewalt. The feed rollers on the Dewalt seem to be constructed of a pretty soft material, and they pick up debris while planing. Scraping the rollers (and lubricating the bed) fixes the problem, but it recurs too frequently. But overall, the machine is good. I'll keep it. Hopefully, it lasts as long as the Makita did.
I've had good success with this planer. Yes, it does tend to leave about a 1/16 inch(or less) ridge along a board, but that's no big deal to me as it can and will be sanded away when you finish the board/wood. I don't think there's any planer that doesn't require you to sand to a smooth finish! I'm very satisfied and glad I bought it!! (The table and stand made expressly for this planer is a must have too!)
Before I purchased this machine I read the reviews on it here, and several other sites including Dewalt. There seemed to be about an even split on positive and negative reviews. Frankly, I am not used to seeing as many negative reviews, and about things I was concerned with I.E.Snipe, ease of use, and ease of adjustments to be specific.However, in the end I bought the DW735. Primarily because of the 90 day return policy from Dewalt.Once I got the machine home I was anxious to see (good or bad) just what I had gotten myself into. First it was heavy to get out of the box and unto the table I had for it, but not much different than other planers I considered. I read weight is a good thing for a planer Second, I immediatly planed a 2X4 to see how good it worked. I didnt check any adjustments. My first effort had snipe at both ends. I tried again and had very little snipe. I have now planned a good bit of short and long stock with amazingly great results. I have had occassional snipe when I fed the stock in at an angle. All of my work has been without the infeed/outfeed tables. I have only used the finish setting, never used the deminsion setting.I can now truly say this thing is a dream to use right out of the box.By the way, I did order the infeed/outfeed tables from Grizzley (best price) and couldn"t beleive how easy they were to install (did this this morning). From what I read in reviews this alone was going to be a test of engineering skills which I don't have. I think they will help keep the stock level with the cutters.I think Dewalt should include them with the original purchase - you pay enough for the 735.
Sometimes, half an inch makes all the difference. But that's not the only reason to step up to the 735. Its powerful 10,000 rpm motor will handle anything you feed it--oak, walnut, exotics--with absolute ease. The three-knife cutterhead will make 96 or 179 cuts per inch, depending on which speed setting you choose. Mess is minimized with the fan-assisted chip ejection, which literally vacuums chips off the cutter-head and blows them out the exhaust. The 735's automatic carriage lock will save you from snipe by reducing the movement that causes it--what a great idea. We also love the redesigned thickness scale--it's big and super-visible, even in poor lighting. Those who do repetitive cuts will appreciate the turret depth-stop; set your most-used cuts to it once and you're always assured of accuracy. The home woodworker will be thrilled, and the professional's expectations will be more than met. This is a winner.--Kris Jensen-Van Heste
DEWALT's 13-Inch Bench-Top Planer is a powerful machine that employs a three-knife cutter-head and 15.0 Amp motor that runs at up to 20,000 RPM for efficiently handling wide pieces of material and deep cuts. The 19 3/4-inch base is made of durable cast aluminum and the fan-assisted chip ejection system vacuums debris away from the cutting. Other features include an automatic carriage lock that reduces movement, an extra-large turret depth stop for finding frequently used thicknesses, and a two-speed gear box for easily changing feed-speeds. This heavy-duty planar has a maximum width capacity of 13 inches and a depth capacity of six inches with a 1/8-inch maximum depth of cut.

SIMILAR PRODUCTS:

DEWALT DW7351 Folding Table for DW735 Planer:http://thediscountlocator.info/index.php?id=B0000CCXUA
DEWALT DW7350 Planer Stand with Integrated Mobile Base:http://thediscountlocator.info/index.php?id=B0000CCXU9
DEWALT DW7353 Chip Collection Accessory for DW735 Planer:http://thediscountlocator.info/index.php?id=B0000CCXUC