Afla 147 Brake Disc Change

Old May 5th 05, 05:13 PM
stevelup

Default Afla 147 Brake Disc Change

Hi

How easy is it to change the front brake discs on a Phase 3 Alfa 147. Is it
a DIY job?

Thanks,

Steve

Old May 5th 05, 05:31 PM
Richard Fantom

Phase 3 147 ???
I thought the new one just out was the Phase 2.

Old May 5th 05, 07:15 PM
stevelup

"Richard Fantom" > wrote in message
> Phase 3 147 ???
> I thought the new one just out was the Phase 2.

That's definitely what it says on our invoice:-

"Alfa Romeo 147 Phase III 2.0 TS Lusso 5Dr"

It was built in June 2003 if that helps...

Steve

Old May 5th 05, 07:48 PM
Gary Taylor

If they haven't changed from the 156, and I don't think they have, then yes,
definitely DIY job. Even rears are do-able, but you need a special tool to
get the pistons back.

I've produced a help guide that shows you how to do pads and discs on a 156
.. You can find it on the alfa156.net forum under -Tips- menu.

Basically you have to take pistons off (you'll need a 7mm allen key or hex
socket), take out the pads, push the piston back, remove the caliper
mountings and the take the disc off (one bolt).

Gazza

Old May 5th 05, 08:57 PM
stevelup

"Gary Taylor" > wrote in message
> If they haven't changed from the 156, and I don't think they have, then
> yes,
> definitely DIY job. Even rears are do-able, but you need a special tool to
> get the pistons back.
>
> I've produced a help guide that shows you how to do pads and discs on a
> 156
> . You can find it on the alfa156.net forum under -Tips- menu.
>
> Basically you have to take pistons off (you'll need a 7mm allen key or hex
> socket), take out the pads, push the piston back, remove the caliper
> mountings and the take the disc off (one bolt).
>
> Gazza

Hi

That's brilliant thanks - PDF downloaded and printed.

Cheers,

Steve

Old May 5th 05, 11:42 PM
alfistagj

I guess they mean class 3 polution
2003 is the 1st edition/phase or what ever you may call that modell
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"stevelup" <sdrawkcab.ten.2ku@ekolbemag> schreef in bericht

Old May 6th 05, 09:34 AM
Simon C

On this subject of discs, can anyone tell me how long they would expect a
set of front discs to last.

I have a 156 2.4jtd and it seems I have a warped disc as I get vibrating
when braking at motorway speeds. The car has only covered 30k miles!

TIA

Simon C
156 2.4JTD V1 (2002)
To reply: remove nospam. from the address

Old May 6th 05, 12:04 PM
alfistagj

Depends fully on your way of driving and if you change the pads in time.
If you do a lot of full force brakes, the discs will heat up enormeously. If
you keep your foot on the pedal after coming to a standstil, the disc will
cool down unevenly and warp as a result thereof (the not covered by the pad
part will cool down from the air, the covered part under the pad will stay
warm)
Stopping in a pool of water will do even more damage due to the increased
cool down.
Best thing to do is brake by letting the pedal loose a few times; much less
heat will be brought into the disc.
On the other hand, a worn pad, will damage the disc and/or make the grooves
even deeper. If a pad is worn to the steel backing, it will even be (much)
worse.
Check the pads between service (i.e. ervey 5000kms) on a grooved wear
pattern and replace them befor the friction material has been worn evenly to
the groove in the middle of the pad.
For a hard driving style 30K miles is nice for the front.
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)
Rosso Radicofani GT 2.0JTS (2005)
Golden Montreal 1428700 (1973/4)

"Simon C" > schreef in bericht

Old May 6th 05, 01:59 PM
Simon C

"alfistagj" wrote in message
> For a hard driving style 30K miles is nice for the front.

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Regards
Simon C