90,000 mile inspection on a 2001 GC

Old January 5th 13, 04:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Larry[_21_]

Default 90,000 mile inspection on a 2001 GC

Just had a 90,000 mile inspection on my 2001 GC. Everything checked
out OK, but what really pleasantly surprised me was the brakes still
had over 80% of brake pad remaining. In the past only the front brake
pads were replaced at 30,000 miles because of the warped rotor
problem. So at 90,000 miles I was expecting to at least replace the
brake pads.

I bought the car new and have never replaced the brake fluid. The
mechanic said the brake fluid was good for about 100,000 miles.

Any conventional wisdom on when to change the brake fluid?

Thanks,

Larry
Old January 5th 13, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Larry wrote:
> Just had a 90,000 mile inspection on my 2001 GC. Everything checked
> out OK, but what really pleasantly surprised me was the brakes still
> had over 80% of brake pad remaining. In the past only the front brake
> pads were replaced at 30,000 miles because of the warped rotor
> problem. So at 90,000 miles I was expecting to at least replace the
> brake pads.
>
> I bought the car new and have never replaced the brake fluid. The
> mechanic said the brake fluid was good for about 100,000 miles.
>
> Any conventional wisdom on when to change the brake fluid?

Moisture intrusion eventually kills brake fluid.

Fairly easy to bleed the brakes, usually done when replacing pads.
Basically, rather than pushing the fluid back up when compressing
the piston, you just put a little hose on the bleeder and squeeze
the fluid out into a jar. Then tighten the bleeder and add fluid
to the reservoir as required.

I've also just suction out the fluid in the reservoir and
replaced with fresh fluid. It cycles a bit, but not much.
My reasoning is any moisture intrusion is from the reservoir.

That leaves the lines. About every four years I suction out
a few oz of fluid from the system and add fresh.

The suction gun is a great alternative to having someone
push the pedal down for you. Just make sure the reservoir
doesn't run dry.

--
DougW

Old January 6th 13, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Larry[_21_]

On Jan 5, 10:16*am, "DougW" >
wrote:
> Larry wrote:
> > Just had a 90,000 mile inspection on my 2001 GC. *Everything checked
> > out OK, but what really pleasantly surprised me was the brakes still
> > had over 80% of brake pad remaining. *In the past only the front brake
> > pads were replaced at 30,000 miles because of the warped rotor
> > problem. So at 90,000 miles I was expecting to at least replace the
> > brake pads.

> > I bought the car new and have never replaced the brake fluid. *The
> > mechanic said the brake fluid was good for about 100,000 miles.

> > Any conventional wisdom on when to change the brake fluid?

> Moisture intrusion eventually kills brake fluid.
>
> Fairly easy to bleed the brakes, usually done when replacing pads.
> Basically, rather than pushing the fluid back up when compressing
> the piston, you just put a little hose on the bleeder and squeeze
> the fluid out into a jar. Then tighten the bleeder and add fluid
> to the reservoir as required.
>
> I've also just suction out the fluid in the reservoir and
> replaced with fresh fluid. It cycles a bit, but not much.
> My reasoning is any moisture intrusion is from the reservoir.
>
> That leaves the lines. *About every four years I suction out
> a few oz of fluid from the system and add fresh.
>
> The suction gun is a great alternative to having someone
> push the pedal down for you. Just make sure the reservoir
> doesn't run dry.
>
> --
> DougW

Thanks for that info!

Passat 60,000 mile service D&LBusch[_2_] VW water cooled 2 June 18th 09 05:27 PM
60,000 Mile Service 99 Caravan honk_on_bobo Dodge 1 May 1st 07 08:55 PM
80,000 mile inspection? perry lee BMW 2 February 28th 06 12:43 AM
Questions on 30,000 mile service Jim Y. Jeep 25 January 31st 05 10:45 PM
GM 50,000 mile stuff Barry General 2 November 11th 04 06:16 PM