Oil Pan bolts?

Old January 17th 05, 08:15 PM
Paul Brogren

Default Oil Pan bolts?

I'm in the process of removing the oil pan from my '75 CJ5 258. I've read
through my Chilton's and Haynes manual, but can't seem to find the Torque
spec's for the oil pan retaining bolts. The spec's for the 4 cylinder is in
the Chilton's, but not the Haynes. Please Help. Also, any recommendations
for oil pumps on this engine?

--
Thanks Always !!!
Paul '75 CJ5 258

Old January 17th 05, 09:01 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Paul,
Hold the head of your quarter inch ratchet between your thumb and
fore fingers, and twist about five pounds of torque, anything more will
split the gasket:
http://members.tripod.com/torquespec...-86_st6eng.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 18th 05, 03:34 AM
Michael White

Paul Brogren ) wrote on Monday 17 January 2005 02:15 pm:

> I'm in the process of removing the oil pan from my '75 CJ5 258. I've read
> through my Chilton's and Haynes manual, but can't seem to find the Torque
> spec's for the oil pan retaining bolts. The spec's for the 4 cylinder is
> in
> the Chilton's, but not the Haynes. Please Help. Also, any
> recommendations for oil pumps on this engine?

From my '82 service manual, the 1/4" are 7 ft-lb, and the 5/16" are 11
ft-lb. Use a torque wrench that is calibrated in inch-lbs.
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer, 1891
Old January 18th 05, 03:41 AM
Paul Brogren

Yeah, I thought I'd need an inch pound wrench sooner or later. Thanks again
for the advice. let me know about the high volume oil pumps vs. the
standard ones. I need to order one in the next couple days.

--
Thanks Always !!!
Paul '75 CJ5 258
ink.net...

Old January 18th 05, 02:31 PM
Mike Romain

My Haynes manual has them listed in foot pounds, not inch pounds and
says the small 1/4" ones are 5 to 7 Foot lb. and the larger 5/16" ones
are 10 to 13 foot lb.

That is on page 2C-5.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 18th 05, 05:08 PM
Jeff Strickland

There are two specs, one for 1/4" screws and another for 5/16" screws.

The Set To spec is 7 ft lb for the 1/4, and 11 for the 5/16. The Service In
Use spec is 5 to 9 and 9 to 13, respectively. All measurments are in foot
pounds.

The spec for Oil Pressure is 13psi at 600 RPM and 37 to 75 psi from 1600 RPM
and up. The max pressure is determined by a bypass valve, this pressure is
capped at 75psi.

I am not sure that a high flow oil pump is beneficial unless you make other
unknown changes to accomodate the increased flow/pressure. My inclination
would be to get another stock pump.

I pulled this data from my Factory Service Manual, but I must give a caveat
that the Oil Capacity is listed at 4 quarts, plus the filter. My 258 holds 6
quarts, including the filter, so I can not vouch for the accuracy of the
information I have given. Having said that, If I was rebuilding my motor, I
would use all of the information, and accept the idea that the oil capacity
is shown incorrectly.

Old January 18th 05, 05:17 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Michael White" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Paul Brogren ) wrote on Monday 17 January 2005 02:15 pm:
>
>> I'm in the process of removing the oil pan from my '75 CJ5 258. I've
>> read
>> through my Chilton's and Haynes manual, but can't seem to find the Torque
>> spec's for the oil pan retaining bolts. The spec's for the 4 cylinder is
>> in
>> the Chilton's, but not the Haynes. Please Help. Also, any
>> recommendations for oil pumps on this engine?
>>

> From my '82 service manual, the 1/4" are 7 ft-lb, and the 5/16" are 11
> ft-lb. Use a torque wrench that is calibrated in inch-lbs.

My '81 FSM has the same specs. But, how does one measure a foot pound spec
with an inch pound torque wrench? If one was supposed to use an inch pound
wrench, wouldn't the spec be 84 and 132 in lb, respectively? And, does an
inch pound wrench go this high?

I might do this wrong, but I would use a foot pound wrench when the spec
calls for foot pounds. The trouble I would run into is that my foot pound
wrench goes so high that is might not be very accurate at these small
numbers.

Old January 18th 05, 07:00 PM
Derrick Hudson

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:17:39 -0800, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> But, how does one measure a foot pound spec with an inch pound
> torque wrench?

Convert the units.

> If one was supposed to use an inch pound
> wrench, wouldn't the spec be 84 and 132 in lb, respectively?

That depends on the author/publisher of the publication you are
reading.

> And, does an inch pound wrench go this high?

Yes.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...orque+Wrenches

> I might do this wrong, but I would use a foot pound wrench when the spec
> calls for foot pounds. The trouble I would run into is that my foot pound
> wrench goes so high that is might not be very accurate at these small
> numbers.

Exactly -- the wrench calibrated for inch-pounds will be more accurate
and therefore would be a better choice of tool.

In fact, the wrench I have doesn't go low enough for some of those
bolts listed :
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...orque+Wrenches

-D

--
\begin{humor}
Disclaimer:

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/ jabber:
Old January 19th 05, 01:56 AM
Paul Brogren

Okay, I got some pretty decent info today. I talked to one of senior
mechanics that I know from our Public Works Fleet Maintenance dept. He said
to do a visual pressure test. I agree it will take a keen eye, but he said
once the bolts are just finger tight, turn each bolt just until one sees a
very slight visual gasket pinch. He said it works great. You just have to
barely see the gasket squish and you stop.

--
Thanks Always !!!
Paul '75 CJ5 258

Old January 19th 05, 02:05 AM