restoring '65 CJ-5: advice on wiper repair, parts sources,

Old January 2nd 13, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
NoSpam

Default restoring '65 CJ-5: advice on wiper repair, parts sources,

Hello folks. I'm a newbie here, so please forgive any breach of
custom.

I'm in the midst of restoring my old '65 CJ-5. I bought it used
in '68, drove it through high-school and college then put it up
on blocks in my parent's garage in '82. It spent 25+ years in
that dry garage in Calif and still in in pretty good shape (only
80K miles on it, 'cept for the rebuilt engine w/ < 500 miles). I've
replaced nearly all rubber parts, fluids, etc. and it runs with
a satisfying (loud) purr that only '60's flat-head 4 and create.

I have two questions today:

0) the (vacuum driven) windshield wipers don't work - I need
repair advice

the vacuum seems sufficient, but there appears to be too
much friction in the mechanism it. So, how do I get them
working again?

I hesitate to open them up for fear of destroying old,
perhaps irreplaceable gaskets. I expect it does need
disassembly, parts cleaning, re-lubrication and reassembly -
I've put a tiny bit of WD-40 on the outside shaft bushings
but, so far, that has made no difference. The internal
direction reversing valving seems to work OK if I help the
blades move a bit by hand.

Any suggestions appreciated!

1) I'm looking for good pointers to parts sources, either on-line,
or in SF Bay Area for (this nearly antique) CJ-5.

2) Finally, do you folks have any idea what this jeep is worth?

Many thanks, NoSpam

P.S. Bonus question: her name is LuLu - can you guess the origin
of her name?

***

Hello folks. I'm in the midst of restoring my old '65 CJ-5. I bought
it used in '68, drove it through high-school and college then put
it up on blocks in my parent's garage in '82. It spent
25 years in that dry garage in calif and is still in pretty good shape
(only 80K miles on it, 'cept for the rebuild engine w/ < 500 miles).

I have Two questions today:

the (vacuum driven) windshiled wipers don't work well

- the vacuum
seems sufficient, but there appears to be too much friction in it.
so: how do I get them working again? I hesitate to open them up
for fear of destroying old, perhaps replaceable. I've put a tiny bit
of WD-40 on the outside shaft bushings but so for that has made no
difference. The internal direction reversoing valving seems to work
ok if I help the blades move a bit by hand.
Old January 2nd 13, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

NoSpam wrote:
> Hello folks. I'm a newbie here, so please forgive any breach of
> custom.

This is nearly a dead group these days. A few lurkers but no where
what it used to be.

> I'm in the midst of restoring my old '65 CJ-5. I bought it used
> in '68, drove it through high-school and college then put it up
> on blocks in my parent's garage in '82. It spent 25+ years in
> that dry garage in Calif and still in in pretty good shape (only
> 80K miles on it, 'cept for the rebuilt engine w/ < 500 miles). I've
> replaced nearly all rubber parts, fluids, etc. and it runs with
> a satisfying (loud) purr that only '60's flat-head 4 and create.
>
> I have two questions today:
>
> 0) the (vacuum driven) windshield wipers don't work - I need
> repair advice

Have you thought about an electric replacement?
http://www.trailquest.com/jeep_cj/wiper_motor.shtml
Might require some metal work.. so double check.

> the vacuum seems sufficient, but there appears to be too
> much friction in the mechanism it. So, how do I get them
> working again?
>
> I hesitate to open them up for fear of destroying old,
> perhaps irreplaceable gaskets. I expect it does need
> disassembly, parts cleaning, re-lubrication and reassembly -
> I've put a tiny bit of WD-40 on the outside shaft bushings
> but, so far, that has made no difference. The internal
> direction reversing valving seems to work OK if I help the
> blades move a bit by hand.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated!

Probably corrosion and seals. Internally it should just be o rings
and flat gaskets can be made the old fassioned way. Never tore one
of these apart so hopefully one of the others here will have an answer.
Reed valves can be a larger problem.

Old January 2nd 13, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Greg[_1_]

Don't know if they will have wiper, but seem to have lots for all years
http://www.willysoverland.com/index....FcN_Qgod2zAA6g