arg.. st00pid wiper motor

Old July 22nd 14, 11:15 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_4_]

Default arg.. st00pid wiper motor

93ZJ.. silly rear wiper motor decided to run all by itself.

Probably a short somewhere, but for now pulling fuse#9 will
keep it put.

Intertubes not helping much, but then again most things I can
find will tell me, "buy a new Jeep".

But then again the Heep is old enough to legally drink.
Can't say I'm unimpressed by how few problems it had compared
to my C-10 Chevy.

--
DougW

Old July 25th 14, 09:51 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea

DougW wrote:

> 93ZJ.. silly rear wiper motor decided to run all by itself.
>
> Probably a short somewhere, but for now pulling fuse#9 will
> keep it put.
>
> Intertubes not helping much, but then again most things I can
> find will tell me, "buy a new Jeep".
>
> But then again the Heep is old enough to legally drink.
> Can't say I'm unimpressed by how few problems it had compared
> to my C-10 Chevy.

Doug, see if you can by-pass the intermittent wiper module. It may be
shorted. I would also pull the wiper switch from the column and check those
contacts. AIR, the contact plate is pretty exposed rather than sealed.

My MJ (5 years older than your ZJ) has a circuit breaker rather than a fuse
and it had a habit of tripping when I first got the heap. That turned out
to be a metal flake shorting the contacts in the motor itself - but only
when it was raining. Worked fine with the washer - naturally.

--
Will Honea

Old July 25th 14, 11:46 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_4_]

Will Honea wrote:
> DougW wrote:
>
>> 93ZJ.. silly rear wiper motor decided to run all by itself.
>>
>> Probably a short somewhere, but for now pulling fuse#9 will
>> keep it put.
>>
>> Intertubes not helping much, but then again most things I can
>> find will tell me, "buy a new Jeep".
>>
>> But then again the Heep is old enough to legally drink.
>> Can't say I'm unimpressed by how few problems it had compared
>> to my C-10 Chevy.
>>

> Doug, see if you can by-pass the intermittent wiper module. It may be
> shorted. I would also pull the wiper switch from the column and
> check those contacts. AIR, the contact plate is pretty exposed
> rather than sealed.

This one is in the dash, but yea it might be the module. I did have
problems with the motor not parking before (and come to think of it
that might be the issue now).....

The previous time it could start but wouldn't stop in the winter.
Had to clean the commutator? (what ever they call that bit of flat
copper track in the wiper assembly) It was all full of old hardened
grease/water proofing stuff/. Used a big glob of dielectric grease
(probably not the same stuff but that was the closest I had apart
from bearing/cv boot grease)

I do need to pull the wiper switch from the column though. The intermittent
part isn't working anymore and that's a pain in the ass when it is just
lightly raining. Problem is from what I've read it's one big plastic
module. Hopefully if it's not repairable internally I can bypass the
column and rig a separate control for the speed. Should just be a variable
resistor/potentiometer/ and I've got a whole selection of those from
various busted stuff.

> My MJ (5 years older than your ZJ) has a circuit breaker rather than
> a fuse and it had a habit of tripping when I first got the heap.
> That turned out to be a metal flake shorting the contacts in the
> motor itself - but only when it was raining. Worked fine with the
> washer - naturally.

My old C-10 had a problem with the washers not stopping. I tried and
tried to fix it but nothing worked... till I set the thing down
on the fender and it stopped moving! Seems it needed a ground strap.
Carefully.. carefully.. looking at the rubber mounting isolators I
found remnants of a copper strap that had corroded. Heck, it only
took eight years to fix that problem. I felt happy, elated, and
st00pid all at the same time.

--
DougW

Old July 26th 14, 12:25 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"DougW" > wrote in message
> Will Honea wrote:
>> DougW wrote:
>>
>>> 93ZJ.. silly rear wiper motor decided to run all by itself.
>>>
>>> Probably a short somewhere, but for now pulling fuse#9 will
>>> keep it put.
>>>
>>> Intertubes not helping much, but then again most things I can
>>> find will tell me, "buy a new Jeep".
>>>
>>> But then again the Heep is old enough to legally drink.
>>> Can't say I'm unimpressed by how few problems it had compared
>>> to my C-10 Chevy.
>>>

>> Doug, see if you can by-pass the intermittent wiper module. It may be
>> shorted. I would also pull the wiper switch from the column and
>> check those contacts. AIR, the contact plate is pretty exposed
>> rather than sealed.

> This one is in the dash, but yea it might be the module. I did have
> problems with the motor not parking before (and come to think of it
> that might be the issue now).....
>
> The previous time it could start but wouldn't stop in the winter.
> Had to clean the commutator? (what ever they call that bit of flat
> copper track in the wiper assembly) It was all full of old hardened
> grease/water proofing stuff/. Used a big glob of dielectric grease
> (probably not the same stuff but that was the closest I had apart
> from bearing/cv boot grease)
>
> I do need to pull the wiper switch from the column though. The
> intermittent
> part isn't working anymore and that's a pain in the ass when it is just
> lightly raining. Problem is from what I've read it's one big plastic
> module. Hopefully if it's not repairable internally I can bypass the
> column and rig a separate control for the speed. Should just be a
> variable
> resistor/potentiometer/ and I've got a whole selection of those from
> various busted stuff.
>
>> My MJ (5 years older than your ZJ) has a circuit breaker rather than
>> a fuse and it had a habit of tripping when I first got the heap.
>> That turned out to be a metal flake shorting the contacts in the
>> motor itself - but only when it was raining. Worked fine with the
>> washer - naturally.

> My old C-10 had a problem with the washers not stopping. I tried and
> tried to fix it but nothing worked... till I set the thing down
> on the fender and it stopped moving! Seems it needed a ground strap.
> Carefully.. carefully.. looking at the rubber mounting isolators I
> found remnants of a copper strap that had corroded. Heck, it only
> took eight years to fix that problem. I felt happy, elated, and
> st00pid all at the same time.
>
> --
> DougW

The 92 XJ my son just scrapped had a relay in the lift gate for the wiper
motor.

If it sticks closed when hot, it will keep it running.

--
Budd

" I looked into an exercise plan at a local gym but they didn't
offer my favorite exercise: Diddly Squats.

So I can't do Diddly Squats."

---

Old July 27th 14, 03:21 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Greg[_1_]

Nice to see at least 4 of us still look at this group, or any news group
for that matter, I miss the days of Mike Romaine and Bill Hughes. Although I
hated it at the time, would even like to be reading the battle of Bill H and
that guy that hated him so much, worst part was, I didn't know why he hated
him so much, must of missed that thread at the beginning.
I read rec.guns too, that has dwindled down to a post every few days too,
that definitely shows the end is near for news groups.

protection is active.

Old July 27th 14, 03:24 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Greg[_1_]

But not as bad as rec.motorcycles.virago, I just bought a 84 Virago,
figured I would check that group out, hum, not much help there, last post
was 2009.

Old July 27th 14, 03:39 PM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_4_]

Greg wrote:
> But not as bad as rec.motorcycles.virago, I just bought a 84 Virago,
> figured I would check that group out, hum, not much help there, last
> post was 2009.
>
> "Greg" wrote in message ...
>
> Nice to see at least 4 of us still look at this group, or any news
> group for that matter, I miss the days of Mike Romaine and Bill
> Hughes. Although I hated it at the time, would even like to be
> reading the battle of Bill H and that guy that hated him so much,
> worst part was, I didn't know why he hated him so much, must of
> missed that thread at the beginning. I read rec.guns too, that has
> dwindled down to a post every few days too, that definitely shows the
> end is near for news groups.

Yep. Usenet started the downward slide when lots of people moved off
to forums. Sad really as Usenet is worldwide and thus was a very good
source for information from everywhere. (lots of crap too, but still)
Forums just do a better job at keeping kooks and spammers away.

Still have my RAMJ+W T-shirt! (bit tattered and faded though)

--
DougW

Old July 28th 14, 04:33 AM posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"DougW" > wrote in message
> Greg wrote:
>> But not as bad as rec.motorcycles.virago, I just bought a 84 Virago,
>> figured I would check that group out, hum, not much help there, last
>> post was 2009.
>>
>> "Greg" wrote in message ...
>>
>> Nice to see at least 4 of us still look at this group, or any news
>> group for that matter, I miss the days of Mike Romaine and Bill
>> Hughes. Although I hated it at the time, would even like to be
>> reading the battle of Bill H and that guy that hated him so much,
>> worst part was, I didn't know why he hated him so much, must of
>> missed that thread at the beginning. I read rec.guns too, that has
>> dwindled down to a post every few days too, that definitely shows the
>> end is near for news groups.

> Yep. Usenet started the downward slide when lots of people moved off
> to forums. Sad really as Usenet is worldwide and thus was a very good
> source for information from everywhere. (lots of crap too, but still)
> Forums just do a better job at keeping kooks and spammers away.
>
> Still have my RAMJ+W T-shirt! (bit tattered and faded though)
>

> --
> DougW

I used to be in a.a.d.t. (alt.autos.dodge.trucks) and there, for a long
time, we ran spammers/trolls off with lots of ridicule.

I remember one instance where the troll, a ford fanatic, began bashing
Dodges and we eventually converted him into a decent poster.

Then it died off to petty squabbling while I was out of touch for a while.

And I sure wasn't going to try to do CPR on a bunch of pixels on a screen.

C5 wiper motor enilc Corvette 1 July 9th 06 04:45 PM
wiper motor help DM Ford Mustang 3 May 21st 06 11:29 PM
E30 Wiper motor [email protected] BMW 5 April 24th 06 09:58 AM
528 Wiper motor T. Bokuden BMW 2 May 8th 05 11:52 PM