2003 Jetta 2.0 auto Slamming into 2nd and 3rd.

Old February 28th 05, 12:45 AM
Steve Karlson

Default 2003 Jetta 2.0 auto Slamming into 2nd and 3rd.

38k and it does this intermittantly, mostly when cold.
I know about the delay going into gear when car is cold BTW.

When this happens it will scare the life out of ya!!

Sent it to dealer and they kept it for 2 days to verify problem (they
did!) and said they "reset tranny to original factory specs". The first
time it didn't work so they did it a "different way" and this time it took.

I got car back and it is shifting fine.

Any comments on the various ways of resetting the tranny?
BTW there were no codes logged, but the service manager did verify the
problem and honestly I was very impressed with the dealership going out of
it's way to verify and fix the problem.

Comments?

Old February 28th 05, 02:57 AM
Woodchuck

I bet it will happen again! doing "reset tranny to original factory specs"
doesn't fix issues like you have... at least I never known it to. Good new
is it's still under warranty.

Old March 1st 05, 06:40 PM
nosmo

We had the same symptoms exactly. The factory knows about this and even has
a pet name for it.
Can not remember the name. ( 3to2 dump or something like that )

However I can remember the fix.

The area service rep for western Canada me at my local VW dealer. He
connected his Laptop to the ODBC port and re programmed something in the
Auto Trans computer. ( No he did not use VagCom <G> )

Took all of five minutes.

Never thumped again.

Old March 10th 05, 08:39 PM
Mark

Wow, I thought it was only my car. I have 2003 Passat GLX with
tiptronic trans and it gives me exactly the same problem - only when
starting from cold. My dealer in PA fixed it, but it was only a
temporary fix, it worked only for a few months. I moved recently to
FL and tried to fix this problem in two local VW dealers (Bradenton
and Clearwater) without any luck. Can someone please let me know
exactly how to tell my deaer to fix it? I already gave up on it and
thanks to you got my hope back.
Thank you
Mark