97 EB Automatic Ride Control suspension

Old October 25th 04, 01:25 AM
David E.B. Smith

Default 97 EB Automatic Ride Control suspension

On 9/22/04 9:17 AM, Chester wrote:

> HOWEVER!!!! I am somewhat dissapointed. The new shock was ordered through
> the Ford dealer, but is manufactured by Monroe. (I will include part numbers
> below) To my "shock" (pun intended!), the new shock eliminated the
> electronic damping feature! Simply isn't there anymore!

How do you know the electronic damping feature isn't there anymore?

Monroe did originally make the OEM shock for the Explorer Limited.
Monroe's online catalog lists a 40005 part number for the front, no part
number for the rear. www.monroe-shocks.com lists 40005 for the front,
40006 for the right rear, and 40007 for the left rear, but says
"Installing these shocks forces you to disable Automatic Ride Control;
Please call Monroe for more info."

I just replaced all four shocks on my '96 Limited (ouch) with shocks
that my mechanic got from Ford. The ARC works fine. I had the
opportunity to drive through the same torn-up road several times, and
could tell the difference between the 2WD and 4WD ride settings. Whether
this has anything to do with the electronic damping or just the ride
height and spring rate that it changes, I don't know.