Why you should remove the negative battery terminal before doing ANYTHING!!!!

Old November 14th 07, 04:22 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

Default Why you should remove the negative battery terminal before doingANYTHING!!!!

Tony Hwang wrote:
> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 11, 3:48 pm, "Steve W." > wrote:
>>

>>> VERY WRONG. ECUs are easy to kill if you are not paying attention. My
>>> SOP in the body shop is to pull the ECU on anything that rolls in for
>>> panel work. One good zap from a welder can kill the ECU without being
>>> near it.

>> A welder and a dome light are vastly different things. An arc
>> welder generates a HUGE reactive voltage spike when striking the arc,
>> and that spike can wander all over the entire vehicle and fry
>> sensitive electronics and not-so-sensitive things, too, like
>> alternator diodes. Standard procedure there is to disconnect the
>> battery whenever doing any welding on the thing. Shorting a dome light
>> will NOT generate any sort of spike. Period. You need a coil to
>> generate spikes, coils like those found in starters, alternator
>> rotors, ignition coils. You might as well try to generate a spike by
>> disconecting and reconnecting the battery.
>>
>> Dan
>>

> Hmmm,
> Lamp filament is a tiny coil, LOL!

with an air core and virtually no inductance. if you have instruments
that can measure any voltage spike you get from a coiled bulb filament,
i'd love to see your readings.
Old November 14th 07, 04:32 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
Tony Hwang

jim beam wrote:

> Tony Hwang wrote:
>
>> wrote:

>>> A welder and a dome light are vastly different things. An arc
>>> welder generates a HUGE reactive voltage spike when striking the arc,
>>> and that spike can wander all over the entire vehicle and fry
>>> sensitive electronics and not-so-sensitive things, too, like
>>> alternator diodes. Standard procedure there is to disconnect the
>>> battery whenever doing any welding on the thing. Shorting a dome light
>>> will NOT generate any sort of spike. Period. You need a coil to
>>> generate spikes, coils like those found in starters, alternator
>>> rotors, ignition coils. You might as well try to generate a spike by
>>> disconecting and reconnecting the battery.
>>>
>>> Dan
>>>

>> Hmmm,
>> Lamp filament is a tiny coil, LOL!

> with an air core and virtually no inductance. if you have instruments
> that can measure any voltage spike you get from a coiled bulb filament,
> i'd love to see your readings.

Hmmm,
You are so bone headed, can't even take a joke.
The more you babble, the more you reveal your lack of knowledge:
pratical or thory. My job used to deal with fraction of nano amps. VLSI,
ASIC, etc. on mil-spec.
Old November 14th 07, 06:02 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

bull****ting idiot.
Old November 14th 07, 03:39 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

jim beam > wrote:
>with an air core and virtually no inductance. if you have instruments
>that can measure any voltage spike you get from a coiled bulb filament,
>i'd love to see your readings.

I do.

BUT, you don't need one. If you have an 1141 lamp with 50 loops of
1/16" (that's estimated by eye here) about 1/2" long, you can use
Wheeler's Formula:

50^2 * (0.065)^2 10.5
--------------- = ----- = 0.27 microhenries
18 * 0.065 + 40 * 0.5 28.0

That's a lot less than the hundreds of henries that an arc welder ballast
will have, and it's probably small enough to be compensated for by the
capacitance of the wiring, even. But it's enough that you could measure it
carefully with a scope and a pulse generator, even though it's actually
going to be swamped at any reasonable voltage by the nonlinearity when the
filament heats up and its resistance increases.
--scott
Old November 14th 07, 04:21 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

I personally have seen a bunch of blown ECU's caused by wiring shorts,
mostly fuel pumps, but other things too.

Sure the ECU is 'protected' by a diode, but no one sells the damn diode
to replace the blown one nor do many 'authorized' places exist to fix
them. Half are sunk in a block of plastic also.

I have repaired a few by using a cheap diode with a +/- 10 to 15%
tolerance so they fell close to the original specs. Close enough to work.

If the dome light is on a timer, it is connected to some kind of
computer....

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '08

Old November 14th 07, 08:38 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
Asbjrn

"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 04:33:54 +0000, fury45iii wrote:
>
>> Guys, guys... go get a schematic and find out if the dome light is in the
>> same circut as the ECU. Even if it is, I don't think the changing of the
>> bulb is what caused the problem. I do think that whatever caused the
>> light
>> to function intermittantly MIGHT have cused the ECU problem. Either way,
>> if the light was working sometimes, that would tell me that there was
>> nothing wrong with the bulb. Funny thing about light bulbs... they either
>> work, or they don't. The filament is either complete, or it's not. It
>> doesn't go back once it's blown. Okay, so if there's a short, it would be
>> either in the fixture, or in the wires going to it. Furthermore, That's
>> what fuses are for! I've done it many many times. Shorting things out and
>> blowing fuses and replacing them again.

> Yeah, but we're talking a Nissan here! I've seenthings in Nissans I've
> never seen in other cars.
>
> And, he said the glass was broken. How it even lit without burning out is
> a mystery!

First you said that the bulb was in pieces, not that the glass was broken.
Was it really broken?
I have seen several times that the glass part of a bulb can separate from
its socket but still hanging by the leads it may still work.
And I have also seen that the ends of a broken lamp filament can dangle
together and get get kind of welded together, so it works again, but usually
not for long.
What may kill an ECU is the very very short transients in voltage when a
cirquit somewhere in the system is abruptly opened or closed, especially
when it is high current (a short) and/or repeated many times. If he made a
momentarily short cirquit while changing the bulb that MAY be enough.
That is why with modern cars we are advised not to use jumper cables without
transient suppressors.

Asbjrn

Old November 14th 07, 10:40 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
Refinish King

Hello:

This might seem odd to you but, newer cars use bulbs that are a specific
impedance. A 2157 is the same candle power as an 1157, but the impedance is
higher. That's why if you use a 2157 in place of a 3057 for argument's sake.

You'll get a check engine light in an OBD2 compliant vehicle.

RK

Old November 14th 07, 10:44 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
Refinish King

The very reason that using a wrong bulb:

Will set a code on an OBD2 system.

RK

PS
I'm not speculating on Jim's method of earning a living. But there are such
instruments available.

Old November 15th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default Why you should remove the negative battery terminal beforedoin...

Many years ago, one of my old flash lights, the glass part of the bulb
somehow got loose in the brass socket the bulb was fastened to at the
factory.I don't remember if that bulb still glowed for a while or not.
cuhulin

Old November 15th 07, 03:14 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

Refinish King wrote:
> The very reason that using a wrong bulb:
>
> Will set a code on an OBD2 system.

that's load measurement, not inductance from a bulb filament coil.

> RK
>
> PS
> I'm not speculating on Jim's method of earning a living. But there are such
> instruments available.

of course! but i bet t.h. doesn't have any, and i'll bet he doesn't
know how to measure whether it has any noticeable effect!

Battery terminal short Paul Technology 6 July 10th 06 05:39 PM
Battery terminal bolt replacement [email protected] Chrysler 5 June 15th 06 11:43 PM
How to change the battery terminal Jonelle H via CarKB.com Ford Explorer 1 September 5th 05 01:13 PM
Water on positive battery terminal? Leon van Dommelen Mazda 13 August 2nd 05 05:10 PM
1973 THING - what is the ground? Negative or Positive battery terminal? [email protected] VW air cooled 2 June 25th 05 05:36 PM