Directional or NON directional tires? What to buy? Cooper?

Old November 23rd 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

Default Directional or NON directional tires? What to buy? Cooper?

"M.M." > wrote in news:vni1j.21155$ck5.11288
@newsfe09.phx:

> Tegger wrote:
>>
>> That may have been true at one time, but it most certainly is not now.

> The manual for my new CR-V says to cross-rotate except for directional
> tires or wheels...

Our '99 Tercel factory manual also says to cross-rotate.

--
Tegger

Old November 23rd 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Refinish King

Cross rotating:

Helps keep the belts from bunching.

You can cross rotate directionals for about 50 miles, and that will help
stop the pulling.

RK

PS
Before you contest this, I recommend you read the Goodyear and Khumo tire
service manuals, and the Bridgestone/Firestone store said they do that for
pulling.

Old November 23rd 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

"Refinish King" > wrote in

> Cross rotating:
>
> Helps keep the belts from bunching.
>
> You can cross rotate directionals for about 50 miles, and that will
> help stop the pulling.
>
> RK
>
> PS
> Before you contest this, I recommend you read the Goodyear and Khumo
> tire service manuals, and the Bridgestone/Firestone store said they do
> that for pulling.

I just did a quick check of
www.goodyear.com
and
www.kumhotire.com
and am unable to find any reference to the assertion you make.

Have you got a URL handy?

--
Tegger

Old November 24th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Refinish King

Sorry:

I just saw it in the manuals that my wholesalers had.

One day, I might be able to swindle a photocopy and post it.

Tire companies have a lot of non public information.

I think it's all part of helping sell their ****.I used to be a Good Year,
and nothing but Good Year seller, now whatever the customer wants is what I
sell.

RK

Old November 24th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

"Refinish King" > wrote in

> "Tegger" > wrote in message

>> I just did a quick check of
>> www.goodyear.com
>> and
>> www.kumhotire.com
>> and am unable to find any reference to the assertion you make.
>>
>> Have you got a URL handy?
>>

> Sorry:
>
> I just saw it in the manuals that my wholesalers had.
>
> One day, I might be able to swindle a photocopy and post it.

If you are unable to easily "swindle" a copy of the manuals even though
you're in the industry, why would you suggest a non-industry man attempt to
obtain a copy online?

> Tire companies have a lot of non public information.

Including stuff you originally claimed was online but is actually not?

> I think it's all part of helping sell their ****.I used to be a Good
> Year, and nothing but Good Year seller, now whatever the customer
> wants is what I sell.

I'm afraid you're not very convincing. You appear to be backing and filling
where you can't provide supporting evidence for your claims.

--
Tegger

Old November 25th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Refinish King

Excuse me but,

I never made a claim that this information was online.

As for your assumptions.

I guess you keep yourself in that crack induced daze.

RK
"Tegger" > wrote in message
> "Refinish King" > wrote in
>
>> "Tegger" > wrote in message

>>> I just did a quick check of
>>> www.goodyear.com
>>> and

Old November 25th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

"Refinish King" > wrote in

> Excuse me but,
>
> I never made a claim that this information was online.

You are right and I apologize.

But I find it kind of difficult to believe the belts could be "bunching".
Seems to me if they were actually shifting like that every time the tire
rotation was reversed that the tire would eventually fall apart.

The only tire Service Manuals I've been able to find are for truck tires.
And they make no mention of belt stability.

I've found some mention of "bunching" in documents describing tire
manufacturing, but these do not seem to relate to any sort of belt shift
during use.

--
Tegger

Old November 26th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Refinish King

Hello:

The main reason tires pull and wobble is that:

1- The belts tear, and you get a bulge in one area, no matter how small it
is. It will cause pulling or a distinct bump, higher at higher MPH.

2- Belts separate, and again you'll have a lump on the tire, or a low spot.
(Sort of the scenario where a tire always looks low, no matter how much air
is in it.)

3- Cords bunch, and the tire actually becomes like a wavy lock washer. If
you roll it, It will wobble more than roll.

Sometimes these imperfections, are so small, that you can not really see it.
So that's where your sense of feel comes in.

Rotating removes these problem areas, or at least move the belts or cords to
their appropriate areas.

This happens to directional tires too.

That's why the manufacturers say in their proprietary manuals to rotate.

Hunter makes a balancer, which I think is called the: "Roadforce" and it
tells you at least 4 different ways to set up the questionable tire. Even to
mount a directional tire backwards on a rim, and reverse the rotation.

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, but I'm sure if you know a Good Year, or
a Bridgestone/Firestone technician. They'll tell you what their factory
manual says.

RK

Old November 27th 07, 07:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

"Refinish King" > wrote in

> Hello:
>
> The main reason tires pull and wobble is that:
>
> 1- The belts tear, and you get a bulge in one area, no matter how
> small it is. It will cause pulling or a distinct bump, higher at
> higher MPH.
>
> 2- Belts separate, and again you'll have a lump on the tire, or a low
> spot. (Sort of the scenario where a tire always looks low, no matter
> how much air is in it.)
>
> 3- Cords bunch, and the tire actually becomes like a wavy lock washer.
> If you roll it, It will wobble more than roll.

It's been my personal and extensive experience that most tire vibration is
due to poor mounting. Most tire "techs" seem to be poorly trained and use
the wrong procedures (and materials) for mounting the tire.

Many times I have seen condemned tires redeemed simply by remounting them
properly.

The definitive test:
Raise car off the ground so the tires are in the air. Start the engine, put
the transmission in gear, and allow the engine to idle. If one wheel does
not spin, give it a push-start with your hand to get it going.
If the tire tread does not spin *dead-true*, it has been badly mounted and
will vibrate, either now or later.

The tread on an improperly mounted tire can wobble side to side, hop up and
down, or both.

If you study the side of a wobbly/hoppy tire immediately adjacent to the
rim, you can often see how the bead is unevenly seated, with some parts
seated deeper into the rim than others.

The worst part is that a newly-mounted tire that has been improperly
mounted can seem OK at first, but will get worse over time as the tread
wears unevenly. Unfortunately, the tire will get blamed, not the monkey who
installed it.

--
Tegger

Directional Tires and unstable handling (97 Accord 200K) [email protected][_1_] General 11 January 17th 07 02:59 AM
Directional Tires and unstable handling (97 Accord 200K) [email protected][_1_] Technology 11 January 17th 07 02:59 AM
Directional Tires and unstable handling (97 Accord 200K) [email protected][_1_] Honda 14 January 17th 07 02:59 AM
directional light BMW newbie BMW 5 April 17th 06 02:13 PM
Rotating tires -- Procomp directional treads Steve Jeep 23 September 16th 05 11:52 PM