Directional or NON directional tires? What to buy? Cooper?

Old November 21st 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Directional or NON directional tires? What to buy? Cooper?

Tech at a local garage advised me to ONLY buy NON
directional tires so they can be properly rotated form
side to side and front to back.

He said that its impossible to do that with directional
tires since they can only be rotated front to back.

Is this good advice? To only buy NON directional tires
solely?

He also advised Cooper CS4 H/V as a VERY good
non-directional tires. What you say?
Old November 21st 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

>Tech at a local garage advised me to ONLY buy NON
>directional tires so they can be properly rotated form
>side to side and front to back.
>
>He said that its impossible to do that with directional
>tires since they can only be rotated front to back.
>
>Is this good advice? To only buy NON directional tires
>solely?
>
>He also advised Cooper CS4 H/V as a VERY good
>non-directional tires. What you say?

Oh forgot

I have a 2000 Mazda Protege ES car if that matters. It
was out of alignment and has worn my current tires
improperly
Old November 21st 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

>Personally, I'd agree with that. I won't be buying directionals again.
>
>It's easier to keep the tires wearing evenly if you can switch sides as
>part of the rotation.
>
>The blocks tend to develop a sharp edge at the lead edge and a rounded edge
>at the trail. Eventually the tread assumes a sort of "sawtooth" pattern,
>which is very evident when you run your hand each way on the tread. I
>believe this contributes to tire noise.
>
>Side-to-side rotation greatly minimizes the "sawtooth" tendency.

Yep....exactly what this auto tech said as well

Hmm.... learn something new

I guess my next set of tires will NOT be directional.

Any advice on the Cooper tires he advises?
Old November 21st 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Nov 21, 3:12 pm, Mike Romain > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Tech at a local garage advised me to ONLY buy NON
> > directional tires so they can be properly rotated form
> > side to side and front to back.

> > He said that its impossible to do that with directional
> > tires since they can only be rotated front to back.

> > Is this good advice? To only buy NON directional tires
> > solely?

> > He also advised Cooper CS4 H/V as a VERY good
> > non-directional tires. What you say?

> What does your owners manual call for for rotation? Mine calls for a
> front to back rotation only so directional tires would make no matter.

Yeah, I have heard from various sources that the direction of rotation
shouldn't be changed on radial tires after they've been in service.

nate
Old November 22nd 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
the fly

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 12:11:57 -0800 (PST), N8N >
wrote:

>> What does your owners manual call for for rotation? Mine calls for a
>> front to back rotation only so directional tires would make no matter.

>Yeah, I have heard from various sources that the direction of rotation
>shouldn't be changed on radial tires after they've been in service.

Radial tires have improved a lot, over the years since they
were the brand-new concept. In the mid '70s, cord separations were a
near-certainty within 1000 miles, if you reversed rotation by swapping
side-to-side.
Having worked in automotive service during the introduction
and development of radials, I got in the habit of NEVER rotating tires
across the car, only front/rear. That practice has served well
enough: I have had multiple sets of Michelin X radials last 80,000
miles.
Old November 22nd 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"the fly" > wrote in message
> Having worked in automotive service during the introduction
> and development of radials, I got in the habit of NEVER rotating tires
> across the car, only front/rear. That practice has served well
> enough: I have had multiple sets of Michelin X radials last 80,000
> miles.

Ive had the same luck, fly. But the Michelins DO need to be rotated.
I got some unusual wear pattern when I got sloppy with the rotation
interval.. But the tires are lasting, as you say, 60-80,000 miles.

I have used Coopers, but not the ones the OP has cited. My luck with
them is good, but I have found them to be noisier, in general, than my
Michelins.
Old November 22nd 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
M.M.

Tegger wrote:

> That may have been true at one time, but it most certainly is not now.

The manual for my new CR-V says to cross-rotate except for directional
tires or wheels...

Directional Tires and unstable handling (97 Accord 200K) [email protected][_1_] General 11 January 17th 07 02:59 AM
Directional Tires and unstable handling (97 Accord 200K) [email protected][_1_] Technology 11 January 17th 07 02:59 AM
Directional Tires and unstable handling (97 Accord 200K) [email protected][_1_] Honda 14 January 17th 07 02:59 AM
directional light BMW newbie BMW 5 April 17th 06 02:13 PM
Rotating tires -- Procomp directional treads Steve Jeep 23 September 16th 05 11:52 PM