Ford Focus Starts up, then stalls

Old November 24th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
morde1ac

Default Ford Focus Starts up, then stalls

I have a 2000 Ford Focus (2.0L SFI SOHC). It has been running fine,
but I woke up the other day and went out to start it and it immediatly
dies. I tried it again and it starts then dies. If I constantly
press the gas pedal once it is started, it will stay running. As soon
as I let off, it will die. Sometime right after it dies, I hear what
sounds like a poof of air from somewhere near the engine.

I have already changes the air filter & spark plugs.

I'm not very savy when it comes to fixing cars, but would like to fix
this myself if possible.

Any ideas what I could do to fix it? I greatly appreciate any help!
Thanks.
Old November 24th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
philthy[_1_]

clean the battery connections just to make sure there is not a loss of
battery power and the computer is not losing it's memory

Old November 25th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Refinish King

It could be a blocked catalytic converter.

Only a guess.

RK

Old November 25th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Nov 24, 2:50 pm, morde1ac > wrote:
> I have a 2000 Ford Focus (2.0L SFI SOHC). It has been running fine,
> but I woke up the other day and went out to start it and it immediatly
> dies. I tried it again and it starts then dies. If I constantly
> press the gas pedal once it is started, it will stay running. As soon
> as I let off, it will die. Sometime right after it dies, I hear what
> sounds like a poof of air from somewhere near the engine.
>
> I have already changes the air filter & spark plugs.
>
> I'm not very savy when it comes to fixing cars, but would like to fix
> this myself if possible.
>
> Any ideas what I could do to fix it? I greatly appreciate any help!
> Thanks.

sound live the iac valve (idle air control) it is near the throtle
body
Old November 25th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
morde1ac

> sound live the iac valve (idle air control) it is near the throtle
> body

How do I check if the IAC valve is shot? Is it something that can
just be cleaned, or does it have to be replaced.

Also, could it be the PCV valve or fuel filter? I can't seem to find
the PCV valve??
Old November 25th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
morde1ac

On Nov 25, 12:05 pm, morde1ac > wrote:
> > sound live the iac valve (idle air control) it is near the throtle
> > body

> How do I check if the IAC valve is shot? Is it something that can
> just be cleaned, or does it have to be replaced.
>
> Also, could it be the PCV valve or fuel filter? I can't seem to find
> the PCV valve??

Took out the IAC valve, cleaned, then reinstalled. Put new fuel
filter on. Still no change.

I did notice that when I take off the air tube from the air filter box
to the engine and then try to start it, it idles about 8 seconds
longer before it quits. This would indicate to me that a lack of air
is causing the engine to stall??? I hate to drop 70 bucks on a new
IAC valve if it isn't the problem.

Still can't find the PCV valve. Do all Focus's have one?

Desperately need help!!! Thanks.
Old November 27th 07, 02:58 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ed White[_2_]

"morde1ac" > wrote in message

> Took out the IAC valve, cleaned, then reinstalled. Put new fuel
> filter on. Still no change.
>
> I did notice that when I take off the air tube from the air filter box
> to the engine and then try to start it, it idles about 8 seconds
> longer before it quits.

Are you taking off the main air inlet, or the PCV line? Taking off the main
air feed shouldn't have any effect. Can you get the car to run if you
manually open the throttle?

> This would indicate to me that a lack of air
> is causing the engine to stall??? I hate to drop 70 bucks on a new
> IAC valve if it isn't the problem.

I'd put my money on the IAC.

> Still can't find the PCV valve. Do all Focus's have one?

Yes. It is on the side of the engine down under the exhaust manifold.

See:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_t..._ZX3_with_dohc

Ed

Old November 27th 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
morde1ac

On Nov 27, 2:58 am, "Ed White" > wrote:
> "morde1ac" > wrote in message

> > Took out the IAC valve, cleaned, then reinstalled. Put new fuel
> > filter on. Still no change.

> > I did notice that when I take off the air tube from the air filter box
> > to the engine and then try to start it, it idles about 8 seconds
> > longer before it quits.

> Are you taking off the main air inlet, or the PCV line? Taking off the main
> air feed shouldn't have any effect. Can you get the car to run if you
> manually open the throttle?
>
> > This would indicate to me that a lack of air
> > is causing the engine to stall??? I hate to drop 70 bucks on a new
> > IAC valve if it isn't the problem.

> I'd put my money on the IAC.
>
> > Still can't find the PCV valve. Do all Focus's have one?

> Yes. It is on the side of the engine down under the exhaust manifold.
>
> See:http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_t...d_in_a_2000_Fo...
>
> Ed

it idled longer when i removed the air intake duct.