'96 Saturn SL1 Stalling Problem

Old November 26th 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default '96 Saturn SL1 Stalling Problem

I have a '96 SL1 that keeps stalling! It usually happens when the car
hasnt been run for a few hours. It will run for 20sec then turn off
like I turned off the key! I can hear the fuel pump prime, so I dont
think its the pump. If I let it sit for a little while it will
usually start back up and be good for the rest of the day. Yesterday
it did not want to start back up. When it did, it eventually stalled
again. Last night I ran it in the driveway for a couple hours with no
problems after it stalled and I started it back up. Today I tried to
start it and it just turns over. I have had people tell me many
different things. Crank sensor, bad gas, weak pump, bad computer...
Where should I start? The engine light does not come on. If the
crank sendor was bad, wouldnt I get a code? HELP!!!!!
Old November 26th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Refinish King

Hi:
A crank sensor will not set a code!

Throwing parts at a car is a bad thing, because I do this for a living. The
first thing to do is to get someone with a good scanner. That gives readouts
in real time.

To me, it sounds like you've got a loose or corroded connection from the
crank sensor, to the ignition module, or a loose connection on the module.

Also, it can be the fuel pump is loosing prime. You'll have to test fuel
pressure and volume. I don't remember the pressure specs on a Saturn, but
the volume should be 1 pint in 10 seconds or less.

I hope this helps.

RK

Old November 26th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
jimhigh66

Have you ever checked to see if you have spark when it's in the stall mode
? If no spark that should point toward ignition.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/...makers.saturn/
More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

Old November 27th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Hello, I have a 2002 saturn L200 that is also stalling at highway
speeds. I had it towed to the local saturn dealership.
They have run diagnostic tests and say they can't get any error
codes. I asked about ignition coil, crankshift and camshift
sensors and they said that they can't test for that. Would I be better
off taking it to an independent mechanic?

thanks

Old November 27th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
jimhigh66

If your Saturn dealership troubleshooting ability is limited to just
examining error codes I think I'd look around for an experienced
independent !
( Just my opinion. )

Old November 27th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
jimhigh66

Or another Saturn dealership.

Old November 30th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Nov 27, 6:30 pm, "jimhigh66" > wrote:
> Or another Saturn dealership.
>
> --
> Message posted usinghttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/rec.autos.makers.saturn/
> More information athttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

I picked my Saturn L200 up the other day from the saturn dealership.
Here is what they told me. That the reason for the car stalling is
probably something wrong electronically. Without an error code they
would just be guessing as to what the problem is. They could replace
parts but they would not know if it would fix the problem or not.
Their best advice is to keep driving the car until whatever the
problem is breaks and leaves a hard code. (check engine light) This
doesn't sound like a good option to me because I don't know how safe
it would be stalling at highway speeds or in the middle of an
intersection. Anyway, after leaving the dealership I stopped at a
local independent car shop just to get a second opinion. The guy there
pretty much told me the same thing. Sometimes I wonder what did
mechanics do about stall problems before the computer diagnostic era.
At this point I'm just driving the car locally, back and forth to the
grocery store, etc.
Old December 4th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
jimhigh66

hcw

Well, modern cars are tougher. For one thing because the under-hood is
so crammed it's hard to get to stuff.

Having said that: Temperature is often the culpret. I once diagnosed an
intermittant Taurus ignition module by removing it, putting it in the oven
to get hot (car wouldn't run) and then chilling it (car would then run).
But, that module was easy to get to. Coils are another item that can fail
when hot but work OK cool. You might try to get them to try heat on
whatever they can get to. As an ex electronics tech and later engineer I
can say INTERMITTANTS ARE BUGGERS.

Old December 6th 07, 12:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Nov 30, 9:03 am, wrote:
> On Nov 27, 6:30 pm, "jimhigh66" > wrote:
>
> > Or another Saturn dealership.

> > --
> > Message posted usinghttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/rec.autos.makers.saturn/
> > More information athttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

> I picked my Saturn L200 up the other day from the saturn dealership.
> Here is what they told me. That the reason for the car stalling is
> probably something wrong electronically. Without an error code they
> would just be guessing as to what the problem is. They could replace
> parts but they would not know if it would fix the problem or not.
> Their best advice is to keep driving the car until whatever the
> problem is breaks and leaves a hard code. (check engine light) This
> doesn't sound like a good option to me because I don't know how safe
> it would be stalling at highway speeds or in the middle of an
> intersection. Anyway, after leaving the dealership I stopped at a
> local independent car shop just to get a second opinion. The guy there
> pretty much told me the same thing. Sometimes I wonder what did
> mechanics do about stall problems before the computer diagnostic era.
> At this point I'm just driving the car locally, back and forth to the
> grocery store, etc.

I think they just threw parts at the vehicles; albeit vehicles that
didn't quite so many parts.