K&N filter for OLD Audi?

Old September 19th 05, 04:56 AM
cp

Default K&N filter for OLD Audi?

Hi, is it worth it to get the K&N filter for my '86 5K TQ? Will it make much difference? The car is in peak mechanical condition now
(unless I'm missing something)

Thank,
cp

Old September 19th 05, 05:37 AM

cp wrote:
> Hi, is it worth it to get the K&N filter for my '86 5K TQ? Will it make much difference? The car is in peak mechanical condition now
> (unless I'm missing something)

Yeah, it lets more crap through, and makes your charge air dirtier.

Use a stock filter - they work great.

E.P.

Old September 19th 05, 11:37 AM
Alec

">> > Hi, is it worth it to get the K&N filter for my '86 5K TQ? Will it
make much difference? The car is in peak mechanical condition now

Waste of time and money.
It may make more noise, allow more rubbish through to wear the engine and
has the potential to contaminate the MAF.

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Old September 19th 05, 11:45 PM

BBO wrote:
> " > writes:
>
> > cp wrote:
> > > Hi, is it worth it to get the K&N filter for my '86 5K TQ? Will it make much difference? The car is in peak mechanical condition now
> > > (unless I'm missing something)

> > Yeah, it lets more crap through, and makes your charge air dirtier.

> Is this something you know or something you've heard?

Something I know.

> FYI K&N test their filters for filtration levels nenecessary to protect
> your engine with independent laboratories. The procedure used is the
> SAE J726 air filter test procedure established by the Society of
> Automotive Engineers.
>
> http://www.knfilters.com/images/factstab1.gif
> http://www.knfilters.com/images/factstab2.gif

Wow. K&N presents positive data! Shocker!

Now, how about *independent testing*? That's usually not anywhere NEAR
as positive.

> I can understand that poorly maintained K&N filters, as any other
> filters, can - and will - perform lousy.

Actually, new, freshly-oiled K&Ns do not filter as well. And the
differences between a K&N and stock filter in engine power are
negligible.

> I have a K&N filter in my BMW, and notice less fuel consumption, and the
> engine response is much better than with the stock filter.

Placebo effect.

> > Use a stock filter - they work great.

> Yeah, but they are so restricted. Like you... ;-)

:roll eyes:

Independent testing results disagree with your, uh, "assessment."

And *especially* in a turbo application, I wouldn't screw around with
dirty charge air.

But hey, if you like dirty intake air for no appreciable gain - have at
it!

Old September 20th 05, 02:22 AM
Tony Curran

I've been warned off them and removed one from my '96 S6.

Something I've done on my S6 is to replace the stock air intake hose, which
snaked around the engine compartment before getting to the air box, with a
4" hose connected to the oil cooler intake snorkel. Have seen increased
accelaration performance.

The AAN engine can suck harder than the stock air intake can supply air to.
May be this is something you could investigate for your car. The mods I did
cost $20.

Tony
96 S6

Old September 20th 05, 03:31 AM
Pete

"cp" wrote
> Hi, is it worth it to get the K&N filter for my '86 5K TQ?

No. Not for an old, and not for a new.

Cheers,

Pete

Old September 21st 05, 04:47 AM
cp

hmmmmmm I think I'll do an experiment, before and after, and post the results. maaaaaan it's amazing how fast a 20 year old 2.2
liter engine will go :-))))))))))

Old September 21st 05, 05:47 PM

cp wrote:
> hmmmmmm I think I'll do an experiment, before and after, and post the results. maaaaaan it's amazing how fast a 20 year old 2.2
> liter engine will go :-))))))))))

Remember to try a new, stock filter as a control. Otherwise your
experiment doesn't mean much.

E.P. "I know what you mean, as an owner of an UrS6"

Old September 23rd 05, 03:33 AM
cp

> Remember to try a new, stock filter as a control. Otherwise your
> experiment doesn't mean much.

Yes, I put one in a month ago. Going off on a long trip, will see if the K&N makes any difference.

> E.P. "I know what you mean, as an owner of an UrS6"

ooooh S6, I'd love to have that if I was living in Europe

cp

Old September 23rd 05, 08:36 PM

cp wrote:

> > E.P. "I know what you mean, as an owner of an UrS6"

> ooooh S6, I'd love to have that if I was living in Europe

Yeah, it sucks to be in the U.S. with this car - I always want to punch
it up to 100.

But it's still a nice car, and gets decent fuel mileage when I don't
overuse the boost.

E.P.

P.S. I think you're making a potentially expensive mistake. You're
not going to notice any change in power.