Why can't people figure out warp versus runout versus disc thickness variation

Old August 7th 18, 11:22 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.autos.tech
Jack[_34_]

Default Why can't people figure out warp versus runout versus disc thickness variation

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 21:43:41 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder
> wrote:

>On 7 Aug 2018 12:50:55 GMT, Jack wrote:
>
>> I bought a 97 Contour in 2001, and it had brake pulsation. I called it
>> warped rotor, not caring much what was the precise distortion that
>> caused the pulsation.

>Agreed that the abuse of the word "warp" has zero negative effects ... if
>... if ... if ... if ... if .... if ... if ... if ... if...
>
>Remember the Spartan's response to the "if we attack you" diplomatic
>'cable' way back in the days of the Greeks? The keyword is if.
>
>If you actually *act* on "warp", you'll do the most insane things, and, in
>the end, you'll *still* have your vibration.

I acted on "warp", sensibly replaced my rotors, and it solved the
problem permanently.

--
John
Old August 8th 18, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

dsi1 > wrote:

>It doesn't matter what you call it. The fix is still the same. My guess is =
>that the warping problem is caused by hard braking and the resulting transf=
>er of friction material from the pads to the rotor surface. This occurs on =
>a molecular level and results in the rotor surface acquiring areas of diffe=
>ring friction coefficients. This can cause hot spots on the rotor when brak=
>ing. To that effect, I try not to clamp down too hard on the brakes after c=
>oming to a stop when going down a hill. That's pretty the only thing that c=
>an be done to protect your rotors.

Two things commonly happen:

1. Something goes wrong with your suspension causing a slight shimmy. Maybe
a ball joint is loose, maybe a rod is bent. As you brake, the shimmy
causes the pressure on the rotor to change and soon a "warp" is worn
into the rotor surface.

2. Someone tensions your lug nuts without using a torque wrench. Maybe they
use torque sticks and are sloppy, maybe they do it by hand with a maltese
cross and a hammer. Uneven pressure is placed on the rotor, and the
same uneven wear pattern results. If you're really lucky, your lugs break
off too.

Avoiding these two situations will cause your brake rotors to last much longer.
--scott

Old August 8th 18, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 2:22:53 PM UTC-10, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Two things commonly happen:
>
> 1. Something goes wrong with your suspension causing a slight shimmy. Maybe
> a ball joint is loose, maybe a rod is bent. As you brake, the shimmy
> causes the pressure on the rotor to change and soon a "warp" is worn
> into the rotor surface.
>
> 2. Someone tensions your lug nuts without using a torque wrench. Maybe they
> use torque sticks and are sloppy, maybe they do it by hand with a maltese
> cross and a hammer. Uneven pressure is placed on the rotor, and the
> same uneven wear pattern results. If you're really lucky, your lugs break
> off too.
>
> Avoiding these two situations will cause your brake rotors to last much longer.
> --scott

Well, that sounds reasonable.

Do you know of engineering papers for what people call brake rotor'warp'? Joe Mastroianni Technology 55 February 22nd 13 05:23 PM
AWD versus ESP lagman Driving 25 December 27th 07 07:25 AM
J vin versus 1 vin? alfred[_3_] Honda 2 November 22nd 07 06:56 PM
Disc Brake rotor runout Lawrence Glickman Technology 24 November 13th 06 04:44 PM
Brake Pad Thickness Variation Questions Caroline Honda 11 October 11th 04 06:25 AM