Rain-X removal

Old December 14th 04, 04:25 PM

Default Rain-X removal

I have created a problem on my wife's 2003 300M Chrysler.
I cleaned the windshield, then applied Rain-X. Somehow that application ended
up streaked, so I wanted to remove it and re-apply. I used a windshield polish
that has worked well for me before in removing all the road tar, sap etc. Since
applying the polish, I have cleaned it every way that I can think of - Windex,
castrol Super clean, soap and water etc but it still has a haze to it. Nearly as
I can tell it is a combination of Rain-X and the carrier for the polish.
I'm at the point of taking it to a glass shop.

Any suggestions?
Texas Parts Guy
Old December 14th 04, 08:09 PM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:08:53 -0600, Steve > wrote:

||> I have created a problem on my wife's 2003 300M Chrysler.
||> I cleaned the windshield, then applied Rain-X. Somehow that application
ended
||> up streaked, so I wanted to remove it and re-apply. I used a windshield
polish
||> that has worked well for me before in removing all the road tar, sap etc.
Since
||> applying the polish, I have cleaned it every way that I can think of -
Windex,
||> castrol Super clean, soap and water etc but it still has a haze to it.
Nearly as
||> I can tell it is a combination of Rain-X and the carrier for the polish.
||> I'm at the point of taking it to a glass shop.
||>
||> Any suggestions?
||> Texas Parts Guy
||Brakleen.

Actually I tried that.
Texas Parts Guy
Old December 14th 04, 10:26 PM
David

> wrote in message ...
> I have created a problem on my wife's 2003 300M Chrysler.
> I cleaned the windshield, then applied Rain-X. Somehow that application ended
> up streaked, so I wanted to remove it and re-apply.

Do you *really* want to reapply?

Old December 14th 04, 11:05 PM
James C. Reeves

"David" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message ...
>> I have created a problem on my wife's 2003 300M Chrysler.
>> I cleaned the windshield, then applied Rain-X. Somehow that application
>> ended
>> up streaked, so I wanted to remove it and re-apply.

> Do you *really* want to reapply?

I've found that a second or third application clears things up.

Old December 14th 04, 11:46 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

As a longtime user of Rain-X, I've learned these lessons...

1. When they say the windshield should be clean first, they mean it.
Otherwise you're dissolving dirt and road film and smearing it around
and letting it re-dry. (The resulting problem can be cured by
repeating the next steps, but is probably best avoided.)
2. Let it dry before polishing.
3. Polish with rags that have been well rinsed and have *not* been
treated with fabric softener... or used with furniture dusting aerosol
or other such residue-laden products. Or use paper towels.
4. After polishing 'round and 'round, polish back and forth with a
clean rag.
5. Water or window cleaner is often useful as the finishing touch.

That way you'll have a streak-free and glare-free windshield in fine
weather that repels rain water in foul weather.

Hope it helps,
--Joe

PS. Not directly related but worth looking at with winter coming on:
how are your wiper blades and their inserts?