Wanting to sell a leased '01 Jetta...

Old September 30th 04, 01:55 AM
Crystal

Default Wanting to sell a leased '01 Jetta...

Hi All-
Thought I'd run this past you all before I go make a fool of myself...we
have a buyers option on a 01 Jetta GLS. It has 59k miles and is in good
shape (no exterior damage other than a ping in the driver's door from
someone else opening their door into it and a crack on the plastic grill).
I REALLY want out of this option but I have 5 more months then a buyout on
this. I'm interested in selling it outright for about $9,000, which would
be just enough to covr what I owe- no profit! :-)
My question is, does it sound insane for me to try to sell a car that is 3
years old and has 59k miles for $9,000?

(It's a 2001 GLS, green, 5-speed manual, 4cyl)

Thanks in advance for your advice!
~c

Old September 30th 04, 03:21 AM
Al Rudderham

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:55:59 -0400, "Crystal" >
wrote:

>Thought I'd run this past you all before I go make a fool of myself...we
>have a buyers option on a 01 Jetta GLS. It has 59k miles and is in good
>shape (no exterior damage other than a ping in the driver's door from
>someone else opening their door into it and a crack on the plastic grill).
>I REALLY want out of this option but I have 5 more months then a buyout on
>this. I'm interested in selling it outright for about $9,000, which would
>be just enough to covr what I owe- no profit! :-)
>My question is, does it sound insane for me to try to sell a car that is 3
>years old and has 59k miles for $9,000?
>
>(It's a 2001 GLS, green, 5-speed manual, 4cyl)

You don't say where you are located, which makes a difference. In any
case, if you are thinking about selling this car on your own and then
paying off the dealer or leasing company, think again. You do NOT
have title to the car - it is owned by the leasing company. The best
you could do is line up a buyer, make a deal with the dealer to buy
out the lease, and then close the sale. Bottom line is that you will
need the dealer's (or leasing company) cooperation.

You don't say why you want out of the this lease. If it is to buy
another VW product, and from the same dealer, they will probably make
a deal. (I have leased my last 4 VWs, and have only kept one for the
full term of the lease.) In any case, you can ask them to tell you
what it would cost to buy out the lease today. The buyout amount
should be somewhat less than the residual price plus the remaining
payments.

Also, if you are in Canada (as I am) be aware that you would get hit
for GST (tax) on the buyout price if you but it and resell it
privately. That's because GST is not charged on the purchase price at
the start of the lease, but only on each monthly payment and then on
the buyout price at the end, if you buy it. If the dealer resells
that car after the lease they can recover that tax, but as an
individual you can't. 7% on top of whatever is owing...

My suggestion is to wait. Five months isn't that long.

--
Remove preceding and trailing X from username for replies
(Sorry, but I'm SICK of spam...)
Old September 30th 04, 02:20 PM
Kevin Rhodes

>You don't say where you are located, which makes a difference. In any
>case, if you are thinking about selling this car on your own and then
>paying off the dealer or leasing company, think again. You do NOT
>have title to the car - it is owned by the leasing company. The best
>you could do is line up a buyer, make a deal with the dealer to buy
>out the lease, and then close the sale. Bottom line is that you will
>need the dealer's (or leasing company) cooperation.

Why? I did this with an 02 Golf GLS TDI. I simply called up VW and got the
buyout, then wrote them a check. At that point the car was mine, and I
promptly sold it privately. I could have just as easily had my buyer write a
check to VW - they don't care who the buyer is. The whole operation was quite
painless, and VW overnighted the title paperwork as soon as they got my
(certified) check. A valid point about the sales tax though, I had to pay
sales tax on the buyout to VW. The Government is gonna get their money one way
or another!

To get an idea of what the car is worth, try the various on-line valuation
sites. Edmund's, Kelly's, etc. FWIW, I sold the Golf with 30K on it when it
was exactly two years old for $15K, but Golf GLS TDI 5spds are somewhat rare
and desirable. And it was in mint condition. A Jetta GLS will not hold it's
value nearly as well.

Kevin Rhodes
Westbrook, ME
90 Jetta GLI 16V
Sundry others

Old October 1st 04, 02:19 PM
Brian Running

> if you are thinking about selling this car on your own and then
> paying off the dealer or leasing company, think again. You do NOT
> have title to the car - it is owned by the leasing company. The best
> you could do is line up a buyer, make a deal with the dealer to buy
> out the lease, and then close the sale. Bottom line is that you will
> need the dealer's (or leasing company) cooperation.

Technically, what you're saying is true, Al, but as a practical matter, it's
no problem at all to find an third-party buyer and cash out of your lease
that way. The leasing company really wants their money, they don't want the
car back at the end of the lease. It's very easy, and very commonly-done,
to sell to a third-party in the way that Crystal describes. But yes, you do
have to clear it with the leasing company first, and you'd better make damn
sure your sale price covers 100% of the costs you're going to have to pay to
terminate the lease.

Sure seems to me that an '01 Jetta with 59k ought to be worth more than
$9000. Yikes. Someone's going to get a hell of a deal.

Old October 1st 04, 08:44 PM
Rob Guenther

I'd pay around $15000+ easy for a Jetta in Ontario... Hell my 99.5 Golf TDI
4spd auto should be still worth well over $10000, i've seen some people
selling them for $13000+.

The old A3 style Jetta's in top shape/low KM are still over $8000-9000 here
for a 1998.
lkaboutautos.com...

Old October 1st 04, 11:23 PM
Larry

You've been given some good advice from others here....but also make sure
you negotiate with the leasing company the early termination fee that
applies by getting out fo the lease before your contract is up. This can be
approx $400. $9000 sounds like its on the low side for a 2001, which
means you can easily sell it if that's all you want out of it. Maybe the VW
dealer will take it off your hands. Go to www.edmunds.com or www.kbb.com
for a valuation of your car.

lkaboutautos.com...

best place to sell a BMW Jay BMW 0 January 2nd 05 11:41 AM
2005 Jetta GL & GLS compare to MKV amty VW water cooled 5 October 1st 04 12:27 AM
JETTA OWNERS! '96 Jetta acting strangely. [email protected] VW water cooled 0 September 27th 04 04:01 AM