actually OIL cooled

Old March 15th 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.O.W.

Default actually OIL cooled

the air cools the oil. ACVW's have a radiator .. for the oil.
but, you knew that.

--
when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
problems tend to look like nails.
Old March 15th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

" P.O.W." > wrote in message
> the air cools the oil. ACVW's have a radiator .. for the oil.
> but, you knew that.

No it isn't. The oil would have to circulate through channels in the head
intended for cooling. See BMW motorcycle which had strictly AC until the
new models which had oil circulating chanels for the heads, and then they
still called it Air/Oil cooled..

Old March 15th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey

" P.O.W." > wrote in message
> the air cools the oil. ACVW's have a radiator .. for the oil.
> but, you knew that.

No... guess by that thinking what we consider "watercooled" is actually
aircooled... air does cool the water, ya know...

Old March 15th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

OMG
I think that we had this discussion a couple of years ago! lol
AND that was my position..............air cools the engine directly or air
cools the water which cools the engine!
It's all cool though! ;-)

Old March 15th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey

"dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
. net...
> OMG
> I think that we had this discussion a couple of years ago! lol
> AND that was my position..............air cools the engine directly or air
> cools the water which cools the engine!
> It's all cool though! ;-)
>

> "Joey" > wrote in message
>>
>> " P.O.W." > wrote in message
>>> the air cools the oil. ACVW's have a radiator .. for the oil.
>>> but, you knew that.
>>>

>> No... guess by that thinking what we consider "watercooled" is actually
>> aircooled... air does cool the water, ya know...

yes, it comes up every now and then... But as John said earlier the oil is
not designed to cool the engine, the oil gets hot by coming into contact
with hot surfaces, not because it was intended to cool the engine... as far
as watercooled cars being air cooled due to air cooling the water, its' the
water's job to do the cooling, it's the air's job to cool the water...so the
water is aircooled,but the engine is not...LOL

Old March 15th 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

Joey wrote:

> yes, it comes up every now and then... But as John said earlier the oil is
> not designed to cool the engine, the oil gets hot by coming into contact
> with hot surfaces, not because it was intended to cool the engine... as far
> as watercooled cars being air cooled due to air cooling the water, its' the
> water's job to do the cooling, it's the air's job to cool the water...so the
> water is aircooled,but the engine is not...LOL

Here in NW Oregon all engines are water cooled. ;o)

Tony
Old March 15th 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson

Joey wrote:
> "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
> . net...
>> OMG
>> I think that we had this discussion a couple of years ago! lol
>> AND that was my position..............air cools the engine directly or air
>> cools the water which cools the engine!
>> It's all cool though! ;-)

>>> No... guess by that thinking what we consider "watercooled" is actually
>>> aircooled... air does cool the water, ya know...
>>>

> yes, it comes up every now and then... But as John said earlier the oil is
> not designed to cool the engine, the oil gets hot by coming into contact
> with hot surfaces, not because it was intended to cool the engine... as far
> as watercooled cars being air cooled due to air cooling the water, its' the
> water's job to do the cooling, it's the air's job to cool the water...so the
> water is aircooled,but the engine is not...LOL

ACTUALLY.... the external surfaces of watercooled engines are also
aircooled. (engine block, heads, manifolds, everything...) There's
airflow in the engine bay, and if that is blocked, the engine is more
likely to overheat.

Jan
Old March 16th 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
> Joey wrote:
>> "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
>> . net...
>>> OMG
>>> I think that we had this discussion a couple of years ago! lol
>>> AND that was my position..............air cools the engine directly or
>>> air cools the water which cools the engine!
>>> It's all cool though! ;-)

>> yes, it comes up every now and then... But as John said earlier the oil
>> is not designed to cool the engine, the oil gets hot by coming into
>> contact with hot surfaces, not because it was intended to cool the
>> engine... as far as watercooled cars being air cooled due to air cooling
>> the water, its' the water's job to do the cooling, it's the air's job to
>> cool the water...so the water is aircooled,but the engine is not...LOL

> ACTUALLY.... the external surfaces of watercooled engines are also
> aircooled. (engine block, heads, manifolds, everything...) There's airflow
> in the engine bay, and if that is blocked, the engine is more likely to
> overheat.
>

> Jan

Jan you silly (nearly) American, the airflow in the engine bay of water
coolers is to exhaust the air that just went through the radiator to cool
the water..... while it may remove some heat(just as the oil does in our
cars) it's not a large contributor to cooling the engine...block off the
holes in the engine bay and the engine can run hot because air can't flow
through the radiator...(that air is akin to the folks that put the oil
cooler over the air intake of our aircooled vehicles, preheated air)

Old March 16th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

don't some Vanagons have the radiator in the front but the WATER-COOLED
engine in the rear?
Not sure if much air reaches that engine.
Of course there are other rear engine water cooled vehicles.

It's all cool though! <g>

BTW I worked on a vehicle that was overheating because the radiator fan was
wired to run in reverse! lol that was a fun one to catch! ;-)

BUT this IS an air-cooled section and we don't need no stinking water to
stay cool right? <g>

Old March 16th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
. net...

> BUT this IS an air-cooled section and we don't need no stinking water to
> stay cool right? <g>

Ya wrench, ya drink beer to stay cool. Never seen a water-free beer.