Are enviro-nuts EVER satisfied??

Old December 7th 05, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Are enviro-nuts EVER satisfied??

Catalytic converters: source of pollution?

Massachusetts scientists say toxic metals from automotive catalytic
converters have been detected for the first time in U.S. urban air.

The research was conducted by Swedish scientists working in
collaboration with researchers from the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology and the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.

The scientists found high concentrations of platinum, palladium,
rhodium and osmium in air over the Boston metropolitan area. Although
the particles are not yet considered a serious health risk, evidence
suggests they potentially could pose a future danger as worldwide car
sales increase from an estimated 50 million in 2000 to more than 140
million in 2050.

Finding ways to "stabilize" those metal particles within the
converters "should be a priority to limit their potential impact,"
says lead researcher Sebastien Rauch of Chalmers University of
Technology in Goteborg, Sweden. Scientists have also detected elevated
concentrations of the elements in Europe, Japan, Australia, Ghana,
China and Greenland.

Catalytic converters reduce emissions of carbon monoxide,
hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides and other pollutants.

The study is to appear in the Dec. 15 issue of the American Chemical
Society's journal, Environmental Science and Technology.

Copyright 2005 by United Press International
Old December 7th 05, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 19:53:49 -0500, Rich > wrote:

>Catalytic converters: source of pollution?
>
>Massachusetts scientists say toxic metals from automotive catalytic
>converters have been detected for the first time in U.S. urban air.
>
>The research was conducted by Swedish scientists working in
>collaboration with researchers from the Massachusetts Institute of
>Technology and the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.
>
>The scientists found high concentrations of platinum, palladium,
>rhodium and osmium in air over the Boston metropolitan area. Although
>the particles are not yet considered a serious health risk, evidence
>suggests they potentially could pose a future danger as worldwide car
>sales increase from an estimated 50 million in 2000 to more than 140
>million in 2050.
>
>Finding ways to "stabilize" those metal particles within the
>converters "should be a priority to limit their potential impact,"
>says lead researcher Sebastien Rauch of Chalmers University of
>Technology in Goteborg, Sweden. Scientists have also detected elevated
>concentrations of the elements in Europe, Japan, Australia, Ghana,
>China and Greenland.
>
>Catalytic converters reduce emissions of carbon monoxide,
>hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides and other pollutants.
>
>The study is to appear in the Dec. 15 issue of the American Chemical
>Society's journal, Environmental Science and Technology.
>
>Copyright 2005 by United Press International

Old news. Not much different than the special low emissions fuel
developed for California, which turned out to damage engines and
release unexpected pollutants.

And no, the enviros are never satisfied. Just look at many of the
issues they support...

--

Spike
w/Black Std Interior, A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok;
Old December 7th 05, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

At some point I expect one of these groups to do a study on human output
of carbon dioxide and biological waste with a plan for population
reduction. But the avian influenz HN51, ebola, will take care of THAT
problem

But wait? Another reason not to worry about this study. Aren't we going
to run out of oil by 2050, and costal cities like Boston dissapear into
the ocean due to global warming, washing away all of the platinum,
palladium etc from the streets of Beantown?

Oh no! We're doomed!

Old December 7th 05, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 21:28:05 -0500, Jimmy >
wrote:

>At some point I expect one of these groups to do a study on human output
>of carbon dioxide and biological waste with a plan for population
>reduction. But the avian influenz HN51, ebola, will take care of THAT
>problem
>
>But wait? Another reason not to worry about this study. Aren't we going
>to run out of oil by 2050, and costal cities like Boston dissapear into
>the ocean due to global warming, washing away all of the platinum,
>palladium etc from the streets of Beantown?
>
>Oh no! We're doomed!
>
>Rich wrote:
>>
>> Catalytic converters: source of pollution?
>>
>> Massachusetts scientists say toxic metals from automotive catalytic
>> converters have been detected for the first time in U.S. urban air.
>>
>> The research was conducted by Swedish scientists working in
>> collaboration with researchers from the Massachusetts Institute of
>> Technology and the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.
>>
>> The scientists found high concentrations of platinum, palladium,
>> rhodium and osmium in air over the Boston metropolitan area. Although
>> the particles are not yet considered a serious health risk, evidence
>> suggests they potentially could pose a future danger as worldwide car
>> sales increase from an estimated 50 million in 2000 to more than 140
>> million in 2050.
>>
>> Finding ways to "stabilize" those metal particles within the
>> converters "should be a priority to limit their potential impact,"
>> says lead researcher Sebastien Rauch of Chalmers University of
>> Technology in Goteborg, Sweden. Scientists have also detected elevated
>> concentrations of the elements in Europe, Japan, Australia, Ghana,
>> China and Greenland.
>>
>> Catalytic converters reduce emissions of carbon monoxide,
>> hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides and other pollutants.
>>
>> The study is to appear in the Dec. 15 issue of the American Chemical
>> Society's journal, Environmental Science and Technology.
>>
>> Copyright 2005 by United Press International

While there is some need to be watchdogs on the environment, sooner or
later the enviros will figure out that the best way to fix things is
do away with humans... then they'll start killing themselves off "to
save the earth". After they are gone, it may be a much nicer place.

Given half a chance, the earth repairs itself... whether by war, or
disease, or natural catastrophe...

Old December 7th 05, 07:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Heavy metals are pollutants.... you sound surprised. I didn't make it past
grade 8 and I knew that heavy metals were considered carcinogenic.

I'm not sure what qualifies someone as an "enviro-nut", though. 10 years or
more ago, I had made remarks that, even though we had found new methods and
materials, we shouldn't get lax in our attitudes... history has shown that
the excesses of consumers will ALWAYS overload ntures ability to deal with
common compounds.

We slopped R-12 around with abandon.... AC systems, hair spray and whipped
cream propellant and God knows what else. Now, many are guilty of slopping
R-134a around like it was water.... the same R-134a that was originally to
be a "stop gap" safer replacement for R-12. How long before someone
discovers the dangers that this particular excess will deliver upon us.

FWIW, I spent most of my childhood on Canadian army bases.... asbestos was
the insulation of the day. My job includes daily "ablutions" in carcinogenic
liquids, chock full of heavy metals and Lord only knows what chemical
changes..... Am I ill... well, I suffer from the ravages of aging and the
toll my daily tasks take on me...

However, our lifestyles have overtaken us. Fresh fruit and vegetables
weren't good enough. We first had to force this stuff out of the ground with
chemicals, bypassing that "je ne c'est quois" that nature gave it. Then we
had to process it and "enrich" it and add chenicals to it and add a label
that says "MAY CONTAIN..." I'm putting this **** in my belly... can we
please come up with something better than "MAY CONTAIN....".

It doesn't take a college degree to realize that everything we have grown
dependant upon has downsides.... electricity - hydro-electric can change the
way a river works, atomic power (what can I say).... wind and tidal
generators will also surely have an affect on our planet. The things we do,
the way we do them, the things we eat and the way we grow them.....

Just as we can be sure that Rich will find another alarming report to post
in it's entirety (palgiarism and originality notwithstanding), we can be
just as sure that tomorrows advancement can easily turn into next years
problem.

I don't think that it's the bad things by themselves that will do us in....
it is our excesses that will do that.

Old December 7th 05, 07:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

In a word, no.

mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."

-- Gene Spafford

Old December 7th 05, 01:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Spike" > wrote
: While there is some need to be watchdogs on the environment, sooner or
: later the enviros will figure out that the best way to fix things is
: do away with humans... then they'll start killing themselves off "to
: save the earth". After they are gone, it may be a much nicer place.
:
: Given half a chance, the earth repairs itself... whether by war, or
: disease, or natural catastrophe...

Yep, she does.
and we may not like the way she does it.

KJK

Old December 7th 05, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"WindsorFox" > wrote

:
: "Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea -- massive,
: difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of
: mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
:
: -- Gene Spafford

Oh My God!
ROFLMFAO!!!!

KJK

Old December 7th 05, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Yeah, on the other hand, my car with no cats just passed emissions.
Locally (Alb, NM) they've adopted the OBD-II emissions testing without
any sniffer in the tail pipe. My car is completely healthy from the
perspective of the OBD-II systems so I passed the test. There is,
currently, no visual inspection, so the straight pipes, while raising
questions, did not cause my car to fail. And I can put a pair of empty
cat cans on for the visual and still pass since my car is healthy
according to the diagnostics.

The point is, cats may become superfluous on vehicles later than 1996.