SUVs are DEATH machines!

Old January 5th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default SUVs are DEATH machines!

Not to mention they are ugly, lumbering, etc.
Probably the stupidest urban adaptation of a vehicle of all time, the
SUV not only guzzles gas,
it kills lots more people too. Never mind the people IN the SUV as the
study below talks about, how about when an SUV bumper impacts a car, at
window level!!

New research from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia shows that
children riding in SUVs have similar injury risks to children who ride
in passenger cars. The study, published today in the journal
Pediatrics, found that an SUV's increased risk of rolling over during a
crash offset the safety benefits associated with larger, heavier-weight
vehicles.

The study, part of an ongoing research collaboration of Children's
Hospital and State Farm Insurance Companies, looked at crashes reported
to State Farm involving 3,933 child occupants between the ages of 0 and
15 years who were in either SUVs or passenger cars that were model year
1998 or newer. Rollover contributes significantly to risk of injury in
both vehicle types and occurred twice as frequently in SUVs. Children
involved in rollover crashes were three times more likely to be injured
than children in non-rollovers.

Children who were not properly restrained in a car seat, booster seat
or seatbelt during an SUV rollover were at a 25-fold greater risk for
injury as compared to appropriately restrained children. Nearly half of
the unrestrained children in these crashes (41 percent) suffered a
serious injury versus only 3 percent of appropriately restrained
children in SUVs. Overall, injury risk for appropriately restrained
children in passenger cars is less than 2 percent.

"SUVs are becoming more popular as family vehicles because they can
accommodate multiple child safety seats and their larger size may lead
parents to believe SUVs are safer than passenger cars," said Dennis
Durbin, MD, M.S.C.E., an emergency physician and clinical
epidemiologist at Children's Hospital, and co-author on the study.
"However, people who use an SUV as their family vehicle should know
that SUVs do not provide superior protection for child occupants and
that age- and size -appropriate restraints and rear seating for
children under 13 years are critically important because of the
increased risk of a rollover crash."

In the 2005 Partners for Child Passenger Safety Fact and Trend Report,
Children's Hospital reported that SUVs in child-involved State Farm
crashes increased from 15 percent in 1999 to 26 percent in 2004, while
the percentage of passenger cars decreased from a high of 54 percent in
1999 to 43 percent in 2004. There was no or little growth in the
percentage of minivans in the study population - 24 percent in 2004.

"We want parents to be able to make fully informed decisions regarding
the choice of vehicle for their family," says Lauren Daly, M.D.,
co-author of the study. "Ideally, a safe family car has enough rear-row
seating positions with lap-and-shoulder belts for every child under 13
that requires them, and enough remaining rear-row positions to install
child safety seats for infants and toddlers."

Previous Children's Hospital research has shown that, within each
vehicle classification, larger heavier vehicles are generally safer.
For instance, of all passenger car classifications, large and luxury
cars feature lower child injury risk than mid-size or small passenger
cars. Among SUVs, mid-size and small SUVs had similar injury risks,
which were two times higher than large SUVs. Compact extended-cab
pickup trucks present a unique risk to children -- child occupants in
the rear row of compact extended cab pick-ups face a five-fold
increased risk of injury in a crash as compared to rear-seated children
in all other vehicle types.

Parents who are unsure of how to choose and install car safety seats or
booster seats can visit http://www.chop.edu/carseat to find educational
videos and information, or they can locate a certified child passenger
safety technician in their community who will teach them how to install
the seat properly.

Source: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

This news is brought to you by PhysOrg.com

Old January 5th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Not to mention they are ugly, lumbering, etc.
> Probably the stupidest urban adaptation of a vehicle of all time, the
> SUV not only guzzles gas,
> it kills lots more people too. Never mind the people IN the SUV as the
> study below talks about, how about when an SUV bumper impacts a car, at
> window level!!

HOGWASH!

Old January 5th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

You're not related to Rich, are you?

Old January 5th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> You're not related to Rich, are you?

ROFL

Old January 5th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On 4 Jan 2006 16:03:23 -0800, wrote:

>Not to mention they are ugly, lumbering, etc.
>Probably the stupidest urban adaptation of a vehicle of all time, the
>SUV not only guzzles gas,
>it kills lots more people too. Never mind the people IN the SUV as the
>study below talks about, how about when an SUV bumper impacts a car, at
>window level!!

If we didn't have SUVs... somebody might be forced to jack a pickemup
truck about four feet in the air..... tack on some cow killer bumpers,
grill, and a winch. I investigated an accident where a CJ with a
power winch T-boned the drivers door of a Supra... Guess who won...

>New research from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia shows that
>children riding in SUVs have similar injury risks to children who ride
>in passenger cars. The study, published today in the journal
>Pediatrics, found that an SUV's increased risk of rolling over during a
>crash offset the safety benefits associated with larger, heavier-weight
>vehicles.

No surprise... so it's evened out risk.

>The study, part of an ongoing research collaboration of Children's
>Hospital and State Farm Insurance Companies, looked at crashes reported
>to State Farm involving 3,933 child occupants between the ages of 0 and
>15 years who were in either SUVs or passenger cars that were model year
>1998 or newer. Rollover contributes significantly to risk of injury in
>both vehicle types and occurred twice as frequently in SUVs. Children
>involved in rollover crashes were three times more likely to be injured
>than children in non-rollovers.

So does being thrown from a 'vert....

>Children who were not properly restrained in a car seat, booster seat
>or seatbelt during an SUV rollover were at a 25-fold greater risk for
>injury as compared to appropriately restrained children. Nearly half of
>the unrestrained children in these crashes (41 percent) suffered a
>serious injury versus only 3 percent of appropriately restrained
>children in SUVs. Overall, injury risk for appropriately restrained
>children in passenger cars is less than 2 percent.

I do believe that it makes little difference whether it's an adult or
a child... if not restrained in some sort of seat, a body in motion
tends to stay in motion unless and until acted upon by an opposing
force.... right through the windshield.....

>"SUVs are becoming more popular as family vehicles because they can
>accommodate multiple child safety seats and their larger size may lead
>parents to believe SUVs are safer than passenger cars," said Dennis
>Durbin, MD, M.S.C.E., an emergency physician and clinical
>epidemiologist at Children's Hospital, and co-author on the study.
>"However, people who use an SUV as their family vehicle should know
>that SUVs do not provide superior protection for child occupants and
>that age- and size -appropriate restraints and rear seating for
>children under 13 years are critically important because of the
>increased risk of a rollover crash."

And who paid for this study which reveals pretty much things which
anyone with half a brain should know anyway?

>In the 2005 Partners for Child Passenger Safety Fact and Trend Report,
>Children's Hospital reported that SUVs in child-involved State Farm
>crashes increased from 15 percent in 1999 to 26 percent in 2004, while
>the percentage of passenger cars decreased from a high of 54 percent in
>1999 to 43 percent in 2004. There was no or little growth in the
>percentage of minivans in the study population - 24 percent in 2004.

And PETA has studies which "prove" that fish scream in pain when
hooked....

>"We want parents to be able to make fully informed decisions regarding
>the choice of vehicle for their family," says Lauren Daly, M.D.,
>co-author of the study. "Ideally, a safe family car has enough rear-row
>seating positions with lap-and-shoulder belts for every child under 13
>that requires them, and enough remaining rear-row positions to install
>child safety seats for infants and toddlers."
>
>Previous Children's Hospital research has shown that, within each
>vehicle classification, larger heavier vehicles are generally safer.
>For instance, of all passenger car classifications, large and luxury
>cars feature lower child injury risk than mid-size or small passenger
>cars. Among SUVs, mid-size and small SUVs had similar injury risks,
>which were two times higher than large SUVs. Compact extended-cab
>pickup trucks present a unique risk to children -- child occupants in
>the rear row of compact extended cab pick-ups face a five-fold
>increased risk of injury in a crash as compared to rear-seated children
>in all other vehicle types.
>
>Parents who are unsure of how to choose and install car safety seats or
>booster seats can visit
http://www.chop.edu/carseat to find educational
>videos and information, or they can locate a certified child passenger
>safety technician in their community who will teach them how to install
>the seat properly.
>
>Source: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
>

>This news is brought to you by PhysOrg.com

Another waste of funds which could have been put to better use....
It's like paying a few million to fund a study to show that water is
wet.
--

Spike
w/Black Std Interior, A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok;
Old January 5th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

TROLL

wrote:
> [...]
> cars feature lower child injury risk than mid-size or small passenger
> cars. Among SUVs, mid-size and small SUVs had similar injury risks,
> which were two times higher than large SUVs. Compact extended-cab
> pickup trucks present a unique risk to children -- child occupants in
> the rear row of compact extended cab pick-ups face a five-fold
> increased risk of injury in a crash as compared to rear-seated children
> in all other vehicle types.
>
> Parents who are unsure of how to choose and install car safety seats or
> booster seats can visit
http://www.chop.edu/carseat to find educational
> videos and information, or they can locate a certified child passenger
> safety technician in their community who will teach them how to install
> the seat properly.
>
> Source: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
>

> This news is brought to you by PhysOrg.com

Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

AHPBBFM posting rules: http://tinyurl.com/ak694
AHPBBFM links page: http://tinyurl.com/a9qsx

Old January 5th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Jim Warman wrote:
> You're not related to Rich, are you?

LOL very a propos, Mr. Warman (tips cap)

Old January 5th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Spike wrote:

> And PETA has studies which "prove" that fish scream in pain when
> hooked....
>
> --
>
> Spike

Okay, I wanna see that....

--
"You seriously need to pull your head out of your ass
more often and look at what is going on around you." - KJK

Old January 5th 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
: You're not related to Rich, are you?

His alter ego.
Or the end result of Rich and that weirdo (which will remain unnamed) up
north breeding.

KJK

:
: