SVT/GT500 News

Old March 22nd 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default SVT/GT500 News

Brent P wrote:
> In article rs.com>, DC Hunt wrote:
>> Unfortunately with the limited availability and increased distribution each
>> dealer is going to try and reap as much profit as possible (as can be see on
>> ebay and other places where the GT500's are getting bids of 25K and up over
>> the as yet unreleased MSRP).

> Just went to ebay to look. Dealers are hyping it as '2 years only' and 'our
> only one'. Over MSRP amount due immediately and non-refundable.
>
> My favorite stealership quote from ebay:
>
> "This is a limited production car and has been sold for as much as
> $600,000 at auction!"
>
> I feel my interest in the GT500 slipping away very fast.

Dude, get over it already. Buy a stock '05 GT, buy a supercharger, buy
bigger brakes and some beefier sways/shocks and if you really want to go
whole hog, buy the Shelby body kit (which they'll gladly sell you).
Congrats, you've just saved yourself $30k.
Old March 22nd 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

In article >, Ritz wrote:
> Brent P wrote:

>> I feel my interest in the GT500 slipping away very fast.

> Dude, get over it already. Buy a stock '05 GT, buy a supercharger, buy
> bigger brakes and some beefier sways/shocks and if you really want to go
> whole hog, buy the Shelby body kit (which they'll gladly sell you).

No, I am not rewarding ford and buying a lesser model with intent to
modify. Been there, done that, car is still nearly stock. I don't want an
engineering project, I do those for a living.

Buying a regular GT is just want ford marketing wants people to do and I
am not going to reward them. I'll sooner spend more money than I intended
for a more refined car without the comprimises of a base mustang than I
will squandering it on modifications that have me replacing blown engines
and spending countless hours working out bugs or on dealer premium.

> Congrats, you've just saved yourself $30k.

Only if you count the outragous over-sticker bidding, which I refuse to
even consider. I'll save the whole thing and not buy.

Old March 22nd 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Brent P wrote:
> In article >, Ritz wrote:
>> Brent P wrote:

>>> I feel my interest in the GT500 slipping away very fast.

>> Dude, get over it already. Buy a stock '05 GT, buy a supercharger, buy
>> bigger brakes and some beefier sways/shocks and if you really want to go
>> whole hog, buy the Shelby body kit (which they'll gladly sell you).

> No, I am not rewarding ford and buying a lesser model with intent to
> modify. Been there, done that, car is still nearly stock. I don't want an
> engineering project, I do those for a living.

So you're not going to buy one anyway...if you're going to **** into the
wind, maybe you can do it in private...

If you want a "Shelby" you'll have to suck it up and pay. If you want a
fast Mustang (which is all you'll be getting anyway) then build your
own. If you just want to listen to bitching and complaining then post
cat recipes to rec.pets.cats...

<plonk>
Old March 22nd 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

In article >, Ritz wrote:
> Brent P wrote:

>>> Dude, get over it already. Buy a stock '05 GT, buy a supercharger, buy
>>> bigger brakes and some beefier sways/shocks and if you really want to go
>>> whole hog, buy the Shelby body kit (which they'll gladly sell you).

>> No, I am not rewarding ford and buying a lesser model with intent to
>> modify. Been there, done that, car is still nearly stock. I don't want an
>> engineering project, I do those for a living.

> So you're not going to buy one anyway...if you're going to **** into the
> wind, maybe you can do it in private...

GT500 for MSRP or less is certainly on my short list.

> If you want a "Shelby" you'll have to suck it up and pay.

I want a fast car with braking and handling that I fit in that is RWD
with a manual transmission. I also don't want to spend 45K+ for it. If I
have to spend 45K+ for it, the GT500 is no longer in contention. I can
just go over to the chevy dealer down the street and pick up a new vette
without all the bidding and bull****. (but I fit poorly in a vette, but
I am sure I can more easily modify the driver's seat than make GT500 out
of a mustang GT)

As much as it would pain me to go over to GM, it would pain me more to
play Ford's games. A used Porsche 911 wouldn't be a bad option either,
and given the ebay bidding a new 911 could be had for the same money.
(and if it's exclusivity that ford is shooting for, owning a
Porsche 911 or viper will have more of that effect than a car most
people will see as just another mustang regardless of the relative
production numbers against a GT500)

You may be willing to play ford's game and may not like that I am not
willing to. But as I follow this stuff online, fewer and fewer people
are willing to do so. Ford will be gutting their most loyal customer base
if they persist in this direction.

> If you want a
> fast Mustang (which is all you'll be getting anyway) then build your
> own.

I'd rather build a fast 6 cylinder maverick if I am going to go through all
that effort. It's not like mods are worth squat afterwards anyway, and I
might as well make it something different.

> If you just want to listen to bitching and complaining then post
> cat recipes to rec.pets.cats...

I may be the most vocal here, but not the only here and not the only one
online either.

Old March 22nd 06, 01:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Brent P wrote:
> GT500 for MSRP or less is certainly on my short list.

That's extremely unlikely to happen. So your bitching is rather pointless.

>> If you want a "Shelby" you'll have to suck it up and pay.

> I want a fast car with braking and handling that I fit in that is RWD
> with a manual transmission. I also don't want to spend 45K+ for it. If I
> have to spend 45K+ for it, the GT500 is no longer in contention. I can
> just go over to the chevy dealer down the street and pick up a new vette
> without all the bidding and bull****. (but I fit poorly in a vette, but
> I am sure I can more easily modify the driver's seat than make GT500 out
> of a mustang GT)

So you like the Mustang but don't want to pay the market price. I don't
blame you, but whining about it here serves no purpose. Write a letter
to Ford if it bothers you that much. I suspect they care more about the
financial boon to their stealerships than any ill will it generates with
you, though.

> As much as it would pain me to go over to GM, it would pain me more to
> play Ford's games. A used Porsche 911 wouldn't be a bad option either,
> and given the ebay bidding a new 911 could be had for the same money.
> (and if it's exclusivity that ford is shooting for, owning a
> Porsche 911 or viper will have more of that effect than a car most
> people will see as just another mustang regardless of the relative
> production numbers against a GT500)

There ya go. Lots of options. How about picking one instead of
grousing about the option that you'll most likely not have?

> You may be willing to play ford's game and may not like that I am not
> willing to. But as I follow this stuff online, fewer and fewer people
> are willing to do so. Ford will be gutting their most loyal customer base
> if they persist in this direction.

I'm not playing anyone's "game". I'm actually getting an RS6 for my
daily driver fun and might pick up a stock Mustang GT and modify it per
my suggestion above for summer weekend fun. If I don't have the time or
inclination for that, I'll just get a Z06 or a Viper or maybe even
supercharge an older NSX and call it a day. It's ONLY a car, man....

>> If you want a
>> fast Mustang (which is all you'll be getting anyway) then build your
>> own.

> I'd rather build a fast 6 cylinder maverick if I am going to go through all
> that effort. It's not like mods are worth squat afterwards anyway, and I
> might as well make it something different.

Whether you mod it yourself or pay Ford/Shelby to mod it for you, it's
still going to depreciate like a rock. Welcome to economics 101. A
motor vehicle, with very few exceptions, (and this ain't one of 'em) is
a depreciating asset. If you're already whining about the markup, you
probably don't have the spare cash to play the collector game anyway
(few people really do).

>> If you just want to listen to bitching and complaining then post
>> cat recipes to rec.pets.cats...

> I may be the most vocal here, but not the only here and not the only one
> online either.

No, not the most vocal. Perhaps the most annoying though....
Old March 22nd 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Scrape off all the needs vs wants and "would'a should'a could'a"

Just WHAT is wrong with Ford setting a price and dealers, putting a premium
on it?
If the price is too high, no one will buy.

It might aggravate you... but what would you change? Suppose you've built
a really exceptional car, and you list it for sale...And some chump comes
around waving a Hemmings or KBB and tells you he wants the car but you're
asking way too much.

Bitching because a dealer will hold out for more money, while you'd have no
problem doing the same just seems.... well... silly and self-centered.

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old March 22nd 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 00:34:19 -0500, "Michael Johnson, PE"
> wrote:
<snip>

>My big issue with Ford on the GT500 is all the hype they have generated
>about bringing the car to market at the $40k-$45k level. They know a
>low production run will hike the price well beyond $50k. If they do
>limit production then I figure the '89 LX sitting in my garage will be
>my last new Mustang. It really irritates me that they have made such an
>issue about the price of the GT500 and if what is rumored comes to pass
>they have shown their word means nothing. All I want from Ford is to
>say what they will do and then do what they have said. Maybe that is
>asking too much of them.

Hell I had a big enough issue with them over the GT to sit idlely by
and watch them do the same damn thing with the GT500. It seems that
the manufacturers have caught on to the fact that there are an awful
lot of fools out there with more money then sense.
--

December 9, 2005 (CNN) While interviewing an anonymous
US Special Forces soldier, a Reuters News agent asked

The soldier shrugged and replied, "Recoil." (Possible Urban Legend)
Old March 22nd 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Zombywoof > wrote:

> Hell I had a big enough issue with them over the GT to sit idlely by
> and watch them do the same damn thing with the GT500.

Let me get this straight.. you are going to show Ford that you arent going
to 'sit idly by'.. by sitting idly by, and not buying the product.. right?

> It seems that
> the manufacturers have caught on to the fact that there are an awful
> lot of fools out there with more money then sense.

And you want Ford to learn their lessons from the foreign competition...
but not apply ALL of them, right?

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old March 22nd 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

In article >, Ritz wrote:
> Brent P wrote:
>> GT500 for MSRP or less is certainly on my short list.

> That's extremely unlikely to happen. So your bitching is rather pointless.

And that is because of decisions made by the ford motor company. Nothing
regarding the car itself.

>>> If you want a "Shelby" you'll have to suck it up and pay.

>> I want a fast car with braking and handling that I fit in that is RWD
>> with a manual transmission. I also don't want to spend 45K+ for it. If I
>> have to spend 45K+ for it, the GT500 is no longer in contention. I can
>> just go over to the chevy dealer down the street and pick up a new vette
>> without all the bidding and bull****. (but I fit poorly in a vette, but
>> I am sure I can more easily modify the driver's seat than make GT500 out
>> of a mustang GT)

> So you like the Mustang but don't want to pay the market price.

The market price is being artifically inflated by ford's marketing
decisions. I'm not going to play their game.

> I don't
> blame you, but whining about it here serves no purpose. Write a letter
> to Ford if it bothers you that much. I suspect they care more about the
> financial boon to their stealerships than any ill will it generates with
> you, though.

You don't think corporations monitor these newsgroups? I once made a post
on a product I worked on. Inside a week I had to meet with a manager
about it. I had simply offered a customer help.

That aside, if you have a real contact name and address, post it.

>> As much as it would pain me to go over to GM, it would pain me more to
>> play Ford's games. A used Porsche 911 wouldn't be a bad option either,
>> and given the ebay bidding a new 911 could be had for the same money.
>> (and if it's exclusivity that ford is shooting for, owning a
>> Porsche 911 or viper will have more of that effect than a car most
>> people will see as just another mustang regardless of the relative
>> production numbers against a GT500)

> There ya go. Lots of options. How about picking one instead of
> grousing about the option that you'll most likely not have?

This is a discussion group. I will participate in these threads as I see
fit. You are welcome to kill file me. I haven't changed my 'from' field
in years, and unless yahoo mail shuts down I don't see myself changing it
for years to come.

You're making the arguement that one should or shut the **** up.

> It's ONLY a car, man....

Of course, and that should be obvious from my posts. But here you are all
upset about my posts. Use your killfile. Killfile me or the GT500
threads, don't go into tirades telling me what I should or should not be
posting.

>>> If you want a
>>> fast Mustang (which is all you'll be getting anyway) then build your
>>> own.

>> I'd rather build a fast 6 cylinder maverick if I am going to go through all
>> that effort. It's not like mods are worth squat afterwards anyway, and I
>> might as well make it something different.

> Whether you mod it yourself or pay Ford/Shelby to mod it for you,

Shelby isn't doing jack **** to these cars. They are coming the way they
are straight from the ford factory.

> it's
> still going to depreciate like a rock. Welcome to economics 101.

I am driving the 1997 GT I bought new in decemeber 1996. Do you think I
give two ****s about depreciation? I care about what I get for the money
in a _new_ car because I don't want a car someone else has broken. I
keep my cars forever or until they are destroyed by factors outside my
control. Depreciation is meaningless to me.

> motor vehicle, with very few exceptions, (and this ain't one of 'em) is
> a depreciating asset. If you're already whining about the markup, you
> probably don't have the spare cash to play the collector game anyway
> (few people really do).

Mark up reduces the value for the money. At MSRP, the GT500 looks like a
good value for the money. At 20K over MSRP it's a poor value for the money.
I am not playing the collector game, Ford apparently wants people to
play that game and your arguement that I should play it or STFU.

>>> If you just want to listen to bitching and complaining then post
>>> cat recipes to rec.pets.cats...

>> I may be the most vocal here, but not the only here and not the only one
>> online either.

> No, not the most vocal. Perhaps the most annoying though....

Well I suggest you learn to use the kill file feature of your newsreader
or get a newsreader with that feature and solve the problem you are
having.

Old March 22nd 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

In article >, Backyard Mechanic wrote:

> Just WHAT is wrong with Ford setting a price and dealers, putting a premium
> on it? If the price is too high, no one will buy.

You are neglecting the role ford's marketing decisions play in that
dynamic.

> Bitching because a dealer will hold out for more money, while you'd have no
> problem doing the same just seems.... well... silly and self-centered.

It's clear you don't understand. go read the posts over again.