302 Clevland????

Old January 1st 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

Default 302 Clevland????

I've never heard of such. Am I out of the loop or is
this a typo??
http://www.austousa.com/4sale/forsale-1580.html

--
“I intended that "not stupid" be a requirement.” – Seth
Breidbart
Old January 1st 07, 06:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Les Benn

As far as I know the Cleveland Plant never made a 302. The Cleveland 351 was
superior to the Windsor one.

Old January 1st 07, 09:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Nicholas Anthony

"WindsorFox" > wrote in message
> I've never heard of such. Am I out of the loop or is this a typo??
> http://www.austousa.com/4sale/forsale-1580.html
>
> --
> “I intended that "not stupid" be a requirement.” – Seth Breidbart

Yes there is a 302 Cleveland. Basically they were made in Australia out of
the 351 Cleveland to offer an alternative 8 cylinder engine. What they did
was take the 351 and reduce the stroke from 3.5 inches to 3 inches.

Nick

Old January 1st 07, 11:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
DRAGNET

Les Benn wrote:
> As far as I know the Cleveland Plant never made a 302. The Cleveland 351 was
> superior to the Windsor one.

as for the 351c being superior

351c, produced 5 years, 70-74

351w, produced 30 years, 69-98

Old January 1st 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Grover C. McCoury III

FYI: From Wikipedia

"This engine was built only in Australia, and was intended to give their
consumers a five liter alternative to the 351 Cleveland as the Ford
"Windsor" series of engines was not commonly available there. Utilizing a
locally produced 351 Cleveland block, 302 in³ (4.9 L) was attained by
reducing the stroke of the 351C from 3.5 to 3 inches (89 to 76 mm).
Additionally, the 302C cylinder heads were designed locally, with smaller
combustion chamber to compensate for the reduced stroke of the engine.
This combination of closed combustion chambered quench heads with smaller 2
barrel style ports made a more powerful setup known in the USA as
"Australian heads". These heads interchange directly onto 351C engines, and
are highly sought outside of Australia as a low-cost method to increase
compression ratio. They are a good street alternative to the over ported 4
barrel heads. Using the 302C cylinder heads on an otherwise unmodified 351C
will increase the compression ratio beyond a safe level for regular pump
fuel. Using the small chamber 302C cylinder heads properly requires engine
design changes (deck clearance, piston design, cam shaft specifications)
optimized for the intended use."

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 featuring
a 351C 4V M-code @ http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt

Old January 1st 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

"DRAGNET" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Les Benn wrote:
>> As far as I know the Cleveland Plant never made a 302. The Cleveland 351
>> was
>> superior to the Windsor one.

> as for the 351c being superior
>
> 351c, produced 5 years, 70-74
>
> 351w, produced 30 years, 69-98

I though Ford NASCAR still uses Clevelands to this day.

Old January 1st 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Grover C. McCoury III

FYI: The Yates heads used by Ford NASCAR today are derived from the 351C.

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 featuring
a 351C 4V M-code @ http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt

ink.net...

Old January 1st 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

"Grover C. McCoury III" > wrote in message
> FYI: The Yates heads used by Ford NASCAR today are derived from the 351C.
>
> Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mustang Mach 1
> featuring
> a 351C 4V M-code @ http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt

Good pics. That is a Cleveland by the high valve covers, canted distributor
and dry intake manifold.
Same here in a '71 Grande 351C 4V M code.

Old January 1st 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
DRAGNET

goodnigh wrote:
> "DRAGNET" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Les Benn wrote:
> >> As far as I know the Cleveland Plant never made a 302. The Cleveland 351
> >> was
> >> superior to the Windsor one.

> > as for the 351c being superior
> >
> > 351c, produced 5 years, 70-74
> >
> > 351w, produced 30 years, 69-98

> I though Ford NASCAR still uses Clevelands to this day.

I believe nascar 351's are hybrid 351w style block with 351c crank
journals

Old January 1st 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
DRAGNET