302 Clevland????

Old January 2nd 07, 07:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

Default 302 Clevland????

"DRAGNET" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> 351M was destroked 400 lo-po truck engine never installed in a car,
> the majority of "ford" car people wouldn't even consider using 400/351m
> although they are tall deck cleveland design.
>
> "superior" means better in every way, it's just not the case when
> comparing 351w to 351c

Hum, Bull****, superior simply means better, by any degree.

superior noun:
1 One that surpasses another in rank or quality.
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

The 351 Cleveland was simply superior to the 351 Windsor, no matter what
silliness you toss out.

Old January 2nd 07, 07:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
DRAGNET

PERFORMANCE:

1970 Mach 1

Engine:
300hp 351C V-8

Transmission:
Three speed automatic

Axle Ratio:
3.00:1

Weight
N/A

Acceleration
Sec.

0-30 mph
3.5

0-60 mph
8.2

0-100 mph
21.4

Standing 1/4 mi
16.0 @ 86.2 mph

Top speed
120* mph

Source:
Motor Trend, 4/70

PERFORMANCE:

1969 Mustang Grande

Engine:
290hp 351W V-8

Transmission:
Three speed automatic

Axle Ratio:
2.75:1

Weight
3420

Acceleration
Sec.

0-30 mph
3.4

0-60 mph
8.0

0-100 mph
21.6

Standing 1/4 mi
15.59 @ 89.09 mph

Top speed
119 mph

Source:
Car Life 2/69

just the facts

Old January 2nd 07, 08:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

Fact: Dragnet is a few cans short a six-pack.

You are looking at the wrong 351 Cleveland. Try the 330 horse version.
Hint, look for the 1971 "Boss" 351 Cleveland...

Wait, that wasn't the engine in the mustang that is often said to be in the
quickest (and heaviest bodied) production mustang ever is it?

The '71 Boss 351 is generally regarded as the quickest production Mustang.
Car and Driver lists performance figures of 14.1 seconds at 100.6 mph in the
quarter mile. Zero to sixty is reported as 5.8 seconds.
A Motor Trend review of the '71 Boss reveals a quarter mile time of 13.8 at
104 mph on a test car outfitted with headers. With traction bars, a new
clutch, and open headers,
a February '71 "Hot Rod Magazine" article lists a time of 13.58 at 107+ MPH
in the quarter mile.
http://www.boss351.org/HO.htm

The Ford Boss 351 (5.8 L) 335 "Cleveland" V8. Created in 1970, it uses the
basic four-bolt Cleveland block and crankshaft but both are constructed from
high-strength nodular iron. The cylinder head is modified for better airflow
and solid lifters. Aluminum valve covers added to the look. The forged
connecting rods were shot-peened and magnafluxed for strength, and forged
domed pistons gave an 11.3:1 nominal (11.1:1 advertised) compression ratio.

Configuration: 90° V8, overhead valve
Engine displacement: 351 in³ (5.8 L)
Bore and stroke: 4.00 in (101.6 mm) by 3.5 in (88.9 mm)
Bore/stroke ratio: 1.14:1
Bore spacing: 4.38 in (111.3 mm)
Connecting rod length: 5.78 in (146.8 mm)
Maximum power: 330 hp (246 kW) at 5,400 rpm
Maximum torque: 370 ft·lbf (501 N·m) at 4,000 rpm
Compression ratio: 11.3:1 (64.6-67.6 cc quench type chambers)
Piston compression height: 1.631 in (41.4 mm)
Carburetor: Autolite 4V, spread bore, 750 ft³/min
Fuel: Premium leaded
Valve train: Mechanical
Valve lash cold: .022 in (0.6 mm) intake and exhaust, .025 hot

Get back to us when you net a clue.

oups.com...

Old January 2nd 07, 08:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
DRAGNET

and everybody owns a boss 351, I'd love to see a race inspired 330 hp
351 boss vs smog legal 300hp 351w 95 cobra R.

legend & lore, great for bench racing.

Old January 2nd 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich

"DRAGNET" > wrote in news:1167720341.698263.170660
@k21g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> 351M was destroked 400 lo-po truck engine never installed in a car,
> the majority of "ford" car people wouldn't even consider using 400/351m
> although they are tall deck cleveland design.

Now you just showed exactly how much you know, which is zero. There were
millions of 351M's installed in passenger cars. And the 400 Ford engine is
one of the easiest engines to mod that Ford ever made. Car and Driver built
a 385 HP version for less than $2,000. All it takes to wake up a 400 is a
decent cam, especially the '71, which had 9.0 - 0 compression.
Old January 2nd 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
DRAGNET

show me a 351m in a car, trucks had 400 and 351m, cars only got the 400

Old January 2nd 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
DRAGNET

looks like cars DID get the 351m from 75-79 along with the 400

still doesn't make a cleveland supeior

Old January 2nd 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
DRAGNET

I want to buy a 71 400 to go along with my 73 400 that has a 302
bellhousing bolt pattern.

Old January 2nd 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

> the 351c heads may be "superior" but the 351c engine as a total package
> is not really superior, the 351c had better heads but had poor oilling
> system,shorter deck height.

What is this about an oil problem?
Had my oil changed about 4 months ago. Have since put on ~3500 miles
mixed driving and the oil is still the color of honey at the full mark.
Does this mean the oil is sitting in the pan and not being used?
My Cleveland has an Edelbrock manifold stamped LB for lowdeck.

> FWIW the boss 302 was a "windsor" with 351c style heads and the 95
> cobra R was all 351 windsor. nascar engines are hybrids utilizing the
> best of both designs,also the original 351w 4 barrel engine was rated
> at 290 hp while most 351c 4 barrel engines hovered around 300 hp +/-

Sometimes Ford would use whatever was on the shelf at the time.
You could find cars following down the assembly line, one with
a Borg-Warner and the next with a toploader.

Toploader is the best.........

Old January 2nd 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

DRAGNET wrote:
> 351M was destroked 400 lo-po truck engine never installed in a car,
> the majority of "ford" car people wouldn't even consider using 400/351m

Where did you get this piece of information? Did you
get it from a Chevy guy or did you just pull it straight out
of your ass?

--
“I intended that "not stupid" be a requirement.” – Seth
Breidbart