Non-flammable, gasoline-like fluid for injector testing?

Old February 9th 08, 01:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AndersG

Default Non-flammable, gasoline-like fluid for injector testing?

Hi!

I am building an injector test rig for a friend and I wonder what you
can use instead of gasoline for testing. Ideally something with
similar viscosity etc, but not as flammable and irritating?
Old February 9th 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"AndersG" > wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I am building an injector test rig for a friend and I wonder what you
> can use instead of gasoline for testing. Ideally something with
> similar viscosity etc, but not as flammable and irritating?

You might need to match characteristics other than viscosity to get an ideal
model

Gasoline viscosities vary a bit, but are often in the range of 0.4-0.8
centistokes.
Water is about 1. But water will have a different surface tension than
gasoline.
You might be able to work with solutions of water and alcohol to get closer
to gasoline without getting too flammable nor too very toxic.

I also considered chlorinated hydrocarbons like trichloroethylene, etc, but
then you
have a whole different set of potential hazards.

Old February 9th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AndersG

> Gasoline viscosities vary a bit, but are often in the range of 0.4-0.8
> centistokes.
> Water is about 1. *But water will have a different surface tension than
> gasoline.
> You might be able to work with solutions of water and alcohol to get closer
> to gasoline without getting too flammable nor too very toxic.

Thanks. Well look into it.
Old February 9th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >,
AndersG > wrote:

>> Gasoline viscosities vary a bit, but are often in the range of 0.4-0.8
>> centistokes.
>> Water is about 1. =A0But water will have a different surface tension than
>> gasoline.
>> You might be able to work with solutions of water and alcohol to get close=

>> to gasoline without getting too flammable nor too very toxic.
>>

>Thanks. Well look into it.

Water, alcohol and soap will let you get pretty close. The problem is you
need to make sure you clean it all out of the injector before you leave
the injector on the shelf. Water and iron don't do well together.
--scott

Old February 10th 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dave Allured

AndersG wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am building an injector test rig for a friend and I wonder what you
> can use instead of gasoline for testing. Ideally something with
> similar viscosity etc, but not as flammable and irritating?

Kerosene or heating fuel oil or diesel fuel. They all lack the most
volatile hydrocarbons found in gasoline, so they are not inherently as
explosive.

However, when any of these are atomized through a sprayer, they *will*
make an explosive fuel/air mixture for at least a few moments. You just
won't get the persistent vapor cloud that you would from gasoline.

--Dave
Old February 10th 08, 08:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

AndersG wrote:
> I am building an injector test rig for a friend and I wonder what you
> can use instead of gasoline for testing. Ideally something with
> similar viscosity etc, but not as flammable and irritating?

Searching a futuristic computer network called the "Internet" for
"fuel injector test fluid" returned several hits, including:

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.c...=117108&page=5
Old February 10th 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AndersG

> Searching a futuristic computer network called the "Internet" for
> "fuel injector test fluid" returned several hits, including:
>
> * *http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.c...=117108&page=5

I did Google before posting, but not for that particular
combination of words English is not my first language as those more
perceptive of you might have guessed. Thanks a bundle for finding that
for me and drop me an email if you want details of the electronics
involved.

Old February 10th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"AndersG" > wrote in message

> Gasoline viscosities vary a bit, but are often in the range of 0.4-0.8
> centistokes.
> Water is about 1. But water will have a different surface tension than
> gasoline.
> You might be able to work with solutions of water and alcohol to get
> closer
> to gasoline without getting too flammable nor too very toxic.

Thanks. Well look into it.

I think a lot depends on your priorities, Anders. The Viscor fluids
mentioned in the
links are still hydrocarbons, and in a vapor or mist will have flammability
and explosion
hazard considerations.

The water solutions with alcohol can have corrosion problems. (The
corrosion issues
could probably be solved by adding appropriate inhibitive additives, which
would be
dependent upon your carburetor or injector materials of construction)

Diesel, Stoddard solvent, kerosene, etc have differing viscosities from
gasolines, AND
still the flammability/explosion issues, although not as hazardous as
gasoline.

There is no easy choice.

We used to use some chlorofluorocarbon liquids (not refrigerants, but of the
same chemical
family) that might eliminate fire and corrosion issues, and could be a fair
match for some
of the properties of gasoline (I would have to check them out, honestly),
BUT as you know
many of these are environmentally objectional and some may have been removed
from the
market.

Old February 10th 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AndersG

> We used to use some chlorofluorocarbon liquids (not refrigerants, but of the
> same chemical
> family) that might eliminate fire and corrosion issues, and could be a fair
> match for some
> of the properties of gasoline (I would have to check them out, honestly),
> BUT as you know
> many of these are environmentally objectional and some may have been removed
> from the
> market.

Yes, my main concern apart from fire hazard would be the health of the
operator since he is indeed a friend of mine
Old February 11th 08, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"AndersG" > wrote in message
>> We used to use some chlorofluorocarbon liquids (not refrigerants, but of
>> the
>> same chemical
>> family) that might eliminate fire and corrosion issues, and could be a
>> fair
>> match for some
>> of the properties of gasoline (I would have to check them out, honestly),
>> BUT as you know
>> many of these are environmentally objectional and some may have been
>> removed
>> from the
>> market.

> Yes, my main concern apart from fire hazard would be the health of the
> operator since he is indeed a friend of mine

I understand. We, in the chemical industry, work with some seriously
hazardous and
deadly materials. But, it is not the same when you turn it over to someone
who may, or
may not, have the same intense focus for safety that we might have.

If you build the facility well enough, then any of the previously mentioned
hazards
can be coped with...But, if this is for a small company or a hobbyist, the
safety
equipments and protocols are not so likely to be followed scrupulously.

Again, priorities.....