how to change coolant of engine

Old December 17th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Taurus

Default how to change coolant of engine

If I must drain all the old coolant first? If I just add coolant, so
what may happen?

Thanks.

Old December 17th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
« Paul »

Taurus wrote:

> If I must drain all the old coolant first? If I just add coolant, so
> what may happen?
>
> Thanks.

Well, if your coolant is now full it will be difficult to get more in.
If your coolant is over 2 years old it is shot.
Old December 17th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Taurus wrote:
> If I must drain all the old coolant first? If I just add coolant, so
> what may happen?
>
> Thanks.

If you are changing coolent to bring your antifreeze up to date , you
need to drain as much as possible and refill with the correct amount of
antifreeze and water.

This is a job I prefer to let a garage handle . Its usually not that
expensive and there are issues of disposing of old antifreeze.

Old December 17th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hal

Taurus wrote:
> If I must drain all the old coolant first? If I just add coolant, so
> what may happen?
>
> Thanks.

How are you going to add more antifreeze to an engine that is already
full? The idea is to drain as much out as you can, even use a garden
hose to flush out the block, and then refill with a fresh mix of 50/50
water and antifreeze. If you do this every couple years you'll probably
dodge the annoying overheating/clogged heater cores/blown head
gaskets/clogged radiator problems that the less informed have to
contend with.

Chris

Old December 17th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Hal" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Taurus wrote:
>> If I must drain all the old coolant first? If I just add coolant, so
>> what may happen?
>>
>> Thanks.

> How are you going to add more antifreeze to an engine that is already
> full? The idea is to drain as much out as you can, even use a garden
> hose to flush out the block, and then refill with a fresh mix of 50/50
> water and antifreeze. If you do this every couple years you'll probably
> dodge the annoying overheating/clogged heater cores/blown head
> gaskets/clogged radiator problems that the less informed have to
> contend with.
>
> Chris

I normally disconnect the lower radiator hose, and then flush..That gets
almost all the old stuff out,
and you can start afresh.

IMHO it is wise to replace the hoses and the thermostat every few years,
which makes the whole job a bit
easier.

Old December 17th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Huw

"hls" > wrote in message
t...

> "Hal" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>
>> Taurus wrote:
>>> If I must drain all the old coolant first? If I just add coolant, so
>>> what may happen?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> How are you going to add more antifreeze to an engine that is already
>> full? The idea is to drain as much out as you can, even use a garden
>> hose to flush out the block, and then refill with a fresh mix of 50/50
>> water and antifreeze. If you do this every couple years you'll probably
>> dodge the annoying overheating/clogged heater cores/blown head
>> gaskets/clogged radiator problems that the less informed have to
>> contend with.
>>
>> Chris

> I normally disconnect the lower radiator hose, and then flush..That gets
> almost all the old stuff out,
> and you can start afresh.
>
> IMHO it is wise to replace the hoses and the thermostat every few years,
> which makes the whole job a bit
> easier.

You really must have some poorly engineered and cheaply built cars if you
need to change the coolant every couple of years and the thermostat every
few. Four or five years on standard coolant and some eight years for OAT
coolant is considered more than adequate. Thermostat, if it ever fails,
which it probably won't.
Taurus should find out which kind of coolant he needs to refill his system.
OAT and ordinary ethylene glycol is not compatible. Even a small amount of
coolant left in the system will react badly if the wrong type is used to
refill.
Also, it is possible that if the new coolant is refilled too quickly or if
certain bleed points in the circuit are not attended to, there may be
hot-spots, the heater might not work or the coolant level could suddenly
fall with no warning. Read the drivers manual or consult someone who knows
what is needed for your particular model of car.

Huw

Old December 18th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Huw" > wrote in message

>> I normally disconnect the lower radiator hose, and then flush..That gets
>> almost all the old stuff out,
>> and you can start afresh.
>>
>> IMHO it is wise to replace the hoses and the thermostat every few years,
>> which makes the whole job a bit
>> easier.
>>

> You really must have some poorly engineered and cheaply built cars if you
> need to change the coolant every couple of years and the thermostat every
> few.

Yeah, we do.. We have a couple of Buicks...OAT technology is not all it was
cracked up to be.
I said every few years, not every couple of years.

Old December 18th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
larry moe 'n curly

Hal wrote:

> The idea is to drain as much out as you can, even use a garden
> hose to flush out the block, and then refill with a fresh mix of 50/50
> water and antifreeze.

I've had bad luck adding a 50/50 mix because a lot of water wouldn't
drain out of the system, so now I add the proper amount of 100%
antifreeze and then top it off with water.

Old December 19th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hal

> You really must have some poorly engineered and cheaply built cars if you
> need to change the coolant every couple of years and the thermostat every
> few. Four or five years on standard coolant and some eight years for OAT
> coolant is considered more than adequate. Thermostat, if it ever fails,
> which it probably won't.

I don't replace theromostats unless they are no longer performing their
job. I have over 100k on the original one in my kia and it still warms
up to one line below the middle and never deviates from that position.
However, I still say that changing the coolant every couple years is a
good idea. Sure you can go longer, but then you wind up dealing with
the problems I described. Corroded water pump rotors, failed water pump
seals, plugged heater cores, plugged radiators, mysterious overheating
issues, etc. Been there, done that. Got the greasy T-shirt to prove it.

As always, your mileage may vary....

Chris