front blower motor problem on 2001 dodge Caravan Sport

Old July 18th 11, 12:14 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Virgil2U[_2_]

Default front blower motor problem on 2001 dodge Caravan Sport

I have a on going problem with the front blower motor on my van. Sometimes the front blower will run and sometimes it won't. The rear blower works fine. I have replaced the fan resistor behind the glove box and it did not solve the problem. I would appreciate any help and advice on how to troubleshoot this problem.

Old July 18th 11, 02:45 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 01:28:09 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
> wrote:

>In om> "Virgil2U" > writes:
>
>>I have a on going problem with the front blower motor on my van. Sometimes the front blower will run and sometimes it won't. The rear blower works fine. I have replaced the fan resistor behind the glove box and it did not solve the problem. I would appreciate any help and advice on how to troubleshoot this problem.

>Dead spot in the motor, umm, rotator/commutater? Basically if
>the fan motor omes to a stop in that dead spot, it won't
>start up again.
>
>Hitting it with a stick, or driving until you hit a pothole...
>will often get it started again.
>
>But the actual fix involves... replacing the blower motor.
>
>I had a local junkyard here install a used one for about $75.

It's either a bad motor or a bad connection on the switch/relay. Look
for discoloured connectons - not as common on Chrysler as on Ford.

As for the motor, often the brushes are worn and/or stuck. Replacement
is the best bet - but if installing used stuff, for crying out loud
make sure it's in better shape than what you are taking out!!!!.
For the work involved, it does NOT make sense to install something
that is already worn out.
Old July 18th 11, 05:21 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 21:45:30 -0400, wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 01:28:09 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
> wrote:
>
>>In om> "Virgil2U" > writes:
>>
>>>I have a on going problem with the front blower motor on my van. Sometimes the front blower will run and sometimes it won't. The rear blower works fine. I have replaced the fan resistor behind the glove box and it did not solve the problem. I would appreciate any help and advice on how to troubleshoot this problem.

>>Dead spot in the motor, umm, rotator/commutater? Basically if
>>the fan motor omes to a stop in that dead spot, it won't
>>start up again.
>>
>>Hitting it with a stick, or driving until you hit a pothole...
>>will often get it started again.
>>
>>But the actual fix involves... replacing the blower motor.
>>
>>I had a local junkyard here install a used one for about $75.

> It's either a bad motor or a bad connection on the switch/relay. Look
>for discoloured connectons - not as common on Chrysler as on Ford.
>
>As for the motor, often the brushes are worn and/or stuck. Replacement
>is the best bet - but if installing used stuff, for crying out loud
>make sure it's in better shape than what you are taking out!!!!.
>For the work involved, it does NOT make sense to install something
>that is already worn out.

I agree about installing used parts like a blower motor. I have
priced them online for around $50 so I think if it is the blower motor
I would be better off getting a new one instead of throwing money on
something that has probably not run or sat idle for years.
Old July 20th 11, 12:09 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 21:45:30 -0400, clare wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 01:28:09 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
> > wrote:
>
>>In om> "Virgil2U"
> writes:
>>
>>>I have a on going problem with the front blower motor on my van.
>>>Sometimes the front blower will run and sometimes it won't. The rear
>>>blower works fine. I have replaced the fan resistor behind the glove
>>>box and it did not solve the problem. I would appreciate any help and
>>>advice on how to troubleshoot this problem.

>>Dead spot in the motor, umm, rotator/commutater? Basically if the fan
>>motor omes to a stop in that dead spot, it won't start up again.
>>
>>Hitting it with a stick, or driving until you hit a pothole... will
>>often get it started again.
>>
>>But the actual fix involves... replacing the blower motor.
>>
>>I had a local junkyard here install a used one for about $75.

> It's either a bad motor or a bad connection on the switch/relay. Look
> for discoloured connectons - not as common on Chrysler as on Ford.
>
> As for the motor, often the brushes are worn and/or stuck. Replacement
> is the best bet - but if installing used stuff, for crying out loud make
> sure it's in better shape than what you are taking out!!!!. For the work
> involved, it does NOT make sense to install something that is already
> worn out.

Geeze, Clare, brushes are EASY!

They can be had for a couple dollars at the hardware store.
Old July 20th 11, 01:09 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 18:09:37 -0500, Hachiroku ???? >
wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 21:45:30 -0400, clare wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 01:28:09 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
>> > wrote:

>>>Dead spot in the motor, umm, rotator/commutater? Basically if the fan
>>>motor omes to a stop in that dead spot, it won't start up again.
>>>
>>>Hitting it with a stick, or driving until you hit a pothole... will
>>>often get it started again.
>>>
>>>But the actual fix involves... replacing the blower motor.
>>>
>>>I had a local junkyard here install a used one for about $75.

>> It's either a bad motor or a bad connection on the switch/relay. Look
>> for discoloured connectons - not as common on Chrysler as on Ford.
>>
>> As for the motor, often the brushes are worn and/or stuck. Replacement
>> is the best bet - but if installing used stuff, for crying out loud make
>> sure it's in better shape than what you are taking out!!!!. For the work
>> involved, it does NOT make sense to install something that is already
>> worn out.

>Geeze, Clare, brushes are EASY!
>
>They can be had for a couple dollars at the hardware store.

Hey, I KNOW they are easy - Which is what I meant by make sure it is
in better shape than what you took out and replacement (of the
brushes) is the best bet.

Sadly, replacing the brushes doesn't always fix them when they get to
the point they don't run any more, because the commutator gets worn
/burned/ gouged to the point it cannot be readilly cleaned up. Then a
good used one (check and replace brushes if necessary) or a new one is
required.

When having a used unit installed by a scrap yard you want to make
sure they warrantee both the part and the labour - and they have
actually checked the part before installing. The good ones do - but
MANY do not. The labour, generally, is worth more than the (used)
part.

Old July 21st 11, 02:50 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:09:29 -0400, wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 18:09:37 -0500, Hachiroku ???? >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 21:45:30 -0400, clare wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 01:28:09 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein

>>> It's either a bad motor or a bad connection on the switch/relay. Look
>>> for discoloured connectons - not as common on Chrysler as on Ford.
>>>
>>> As for the motor, often the brushes are worn and/or stuck. Replacement
>>> is the best bet - but if installing used stuff, for crying out loud make
>>> sure it's in better shape than what you are taking out!!!!. For the work
>>> involved, it does NOT make sense to install something that is already
>>> worn out.

>>Geeze, Clare, brushes are EASY!
>>
>>They can be had for a couple dollars at the hardware store.

> Hey, I KNOW they are easy - Which is what I meant by make sure it is
>in better shape than what you took out and replacement (of the
>brushes) is the best bet.
>
>Sadly, replacing the brushes doesn't always fix them when they get to
>the point they don't run any more, because the commutator gets worn
>/burned/ gouged to the point it cannot be readilly cleaned up. Then a
>good used one (check and replace brushes if necessary) or a new one is
>required.
>
>When having a used unit installed by a scrap yard you want to make
>sure they warrantee both the part and the labour - and they have
>actually checked the part before installing. The good ones do - but
>MANY do not. The labour, generally, is worth more than the (used)
>part.

I agree with you Clare, if I had not taken my caravan to a garage to
verify that the blower was bad I could have used that $77 toward a new
blower motor, which I was able to find online for $59. But I did not
want to be buying parts until I knew for sure it was the motor. And
as busted up from Iraq like I am I can not just install a motor and
then find out that it was not lhe problem so I went to a garage and
paid the money to get it verified. But geting brushes like you
mention and then going through all the hassle of installing them and
then put the motor back in just for it to work for a week or two and
then having to go through all the hassle of taking it out and
replacing it with another motor, you are better off getting a new one.
I was forced after paying the $77 to go to a junk yard and pay $35 for
them to take the motor off for me and it is not guaranteed, just only
can get store credit which is about the same anywhere if the motor
should not work but not sure just how long it will work.

Thanks all.