low compression - running rich

Old January 6th 05, 09:20 PM
Robert

Default low compression - running rich

I just bought a new-to-me 1970 beetle with a 1600SP engine from the original owner. It has always been a sea level car until I bought it. I live at a 7000 foot elevation.

The car has seemed to run ok when the weather was 50 degrees or higher but the plugs showed that it was running rich. Now that the temperature has fallen to below freezing, it seems to be running very rich to the point that it is fowling Bosch W8AC plugs. The compression is low ranging from 58 - 70 psi which would equate to 72 - 86 psi if taken at sea level.

I know the engine is getting tired but I don't want to rebuild it right now. I am currently looking out my window and it looks as though I am in the Sahara Desert during a sand storm but instead of sand, it is snow.

My question is would a hotter plug help? Do I have to rejet my Solex 30-PICT-3 carburetor? So far, I haven't taken it out of the city to actually use the main jet yet. I am using 85 octane gas because I felt it runs hotter than higher octane. Is my assumption correct?

Thanks in advance - Bob

Old January 7th 05, 01:32 AM
Speedy Jim

Robert wrote:

> I just bought a new-to-me 1970 beetle with a 1600SP engine from the original owner. It has always been a sea level car until I bought it. I live at a 7000 foot elevation.
>
> The car has seemed to run ok when the weather was 50 degrees or higher but the plugs showed that it was running rich. Now that the temperature has fallen to below freezing, it seems to be running very rich to the point that it is fowling Bosch W8AC plugs. The compression is low ranging from 58 - 70 psi which would equate to 72 - 86 psi if taken at sea level.
>
> I know the engine is getting tired but I don't want to rebuild it right now. I am currently looking out my window and it looks as though I am in the Sahara Desert during a sand storm but instead of sand, it is snow.
>
> My question is would a hotter plug help? Do I have to rejet my Solex 30-PICT-3 carburetor? So far, I haven't taken it out of the city to actually use the main jet yet. I am using 85 octane gas because I felt it runs hotter than higher octane. Is my assumption correct?
>
> Thanks in advance - Bob

Low compression in all cyls. Hmmmmmmmmmm. Have you checked the
valve clearance yet? First step.

If the clearance is correct, the engine may be close to sucking in
a valve head and then you won't be able to rebuild it...ever.

If you're sure it's running rich, check that the float needle valve
closes tightly and that it's screwed in tightly.

One fix you can play around with is to add washers under the needle
valve. That will lower the fuel level in the bowl and reduce mixture.
(Shouldn't be necessary, but there you have it.) Or, change main jet
size.

http://www.vw-resource.com/carb.html#carburetor

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old January 7th 05, 02:00 AM
Robert

Thanks for your reply. I did adjust the valves and only a couple were at
0.004" and the rest were at 0.006" so I made them all 0.006". I guess I can
just hope that it doesn't suck a valve. The engine was rebuilt in 1981 and
seems to run well other than fouling the plugs. The plugs become jet black.

I will change out the needle valve tomorrow with a known good one.

The web page you gave me is good so I will follow those instructions as
well.

Incidentally, my rear bearing replacement job went well, thanks for your
advise. - Bob

Old January 7th 05, 03:20 AM
Raymond Lowe

I have a H30/31 carb on a 1600DP with a pretty free flowing exhaust setup
and mild cam. It's on my buggy. I run at 4-6000' and it's running quite nice
on a 50idle and 125 main, 125air. You might even get by with a 50 idle and
120 main, which by the way, is what these H30/31's usually come jetted
with. These are the modern replacement for the carb you have and I believe
that is ballpark jetting for a1500SP.

RT
--
E-mail=fullname-at-telus.net

Old January 9th 05, 01:21 PM
Peter

Engines will run rich at higher altitudes, due to the lower density air.
So, you could try fitting a smaller main jet and see what happens, as a
result. However, the low compression suggests that you may have more
serious problems to consider first.

Old January 10th 05, 12:40 AM
Robert

I decided to pull the engine and the heads. Winter is a bad time to
mechanic but the risk verses the reward of not doing anything is to great.
Thanks for all your suggestions. - Bob

Old January 10th 05, 03:36 AM
Robert

Old January 15th 05, 01:18 PM
Dennis Wik

It runs richer as the temp drops cause the choke is on which amplifies
any other problem area and if you let it idle to warm up, you can wash
the cylinders which fouls plugs and puts gas in the oil and lowers
compression and causes wear problems. Adjust your choke, check the
operation, warm air tube etc. Just my opinion of course. Been there,
done that.

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>

Old January 16th 05, 06:09 AM
Robert

I took the heads of and noticed that the heat riser was blocked, #3 exhaust
valve was much lighter in color than all the rest and #2 spark plug hole was
almost completely stripped out. I ordered rebuilt heads and will put it
back together with a good intake manifold next week. thanks for everybody's
advise. - Bob

"Dennis Wik" > wrote in message
> It runs richer as the temp drops cause the choke is on which amplifies
> any other problem area and if you let it idle to warm up, you can wash
> the cylinders which fouls plugs and puts gas in the oil and lowers
> compression and causes wear problems. Adjust your choke, check the
> operation, warm air tube etc. Just my opinion of course. Been there,
> done that.
>
> href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
> 1977 Puma</a>

running horribly rich Mac VW air cooled 12 January 10th 05 07:39 AM
Compression test question Kevin S Jeep 3 December 22nd 04 11:46 PM
95 Neon running rich maxpower Chrysler 12 October 15th 04 08:45 PM
95 Neon running rich Mike Chrysler 0 October 14th 04 08:02 PM
94 Saturn SL1 trouble starting, running rich (HELP) Robo6 Saturn 2 September 28th 04 01:46 AM