XJ Door Hinge Mounts

Old May 15th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Grumman-581

Default XJ Door Hinge Mounts

I've been noticing some noise coming from my front passenger door when
I opened or closed it... I originally thought that I just needed to
lubricate the hinge... Closer inspection has shown me that the problem
appears to instead be due to the welds on the portion of the hinge
that attaches to the vehicle frame being broken... Anyone had this
problem before? How difficult is it to repair?
Old May 15th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Grumman-581

Hmmm... Further research seems to indicate that there was a recall
associated with this issue...

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/DoorHingeRepair.pdf

Maybe I won't need to re-weld it myself...
Old May 15th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Grumman-581

After contacting the dealership and Chrysler, it appears that the
recall number mentioned in the Service Bulletin does not concern the
door hinge, but is just telling the dealerships that they were given a
power riveter for another recall (#785) and if they want another one,
they will need to buy it themselves...

So, it looks like I'm back to thinking about re-welding it...
Old May 15th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Grumman-581 wrote:
> After contacting the dealership and Chrysler, it appears that the
> recall number mentioned in the Service Bulletin does not concern the
> door hinge, but is just telling the dealerships that they were given a
> power riveter for another recall (#785) and if they want another one,
> they will need to buy it themselves...
>
> So, it looks like I'm back to thinking about re-welding it...

What year is it? There was a recall on some.

You need a new door post to fix it, which is a fair job....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old May 15th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Grumman-581

On Tue, 15 May 2007 12:48:50 -0400, Mike Romain >
wrote:
> What year is it? There was a recall on some.

1995...

> You need a new door post to fix it, which is a fair job....

A new door post? Why? It has come unwelded, but there do not appear
to be any holes in the underlying metal... It's like the original weld
didn't have proper penetration...

I'm thinking that I'll need to put a wooden block underneath the door
to spread the force a bit and then use a hydraulic jack to lift up on
it until the weld goes back into place... Then, re-weld it in place...
Old May 15th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Grumman-581 wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2007 12:48:50 -0400, Mike Romain >
> wrote:
>> What year is it? There was a recall on some.

> 1995...
>
>> You need a new door post to fix it, which is a fair job....

> A new door post? Why? It has come unwelded, but there do not appear
> to be any holes in the underlying metal... It's like the original weld
> didn't have proper penetration...
>
> I'm thinking that I'll need to put a wooden block underneath the door
> to spread the force a bit and then use a hydraulic jack to lift up on
> it until the weld goes back into place... Then, re-weld it in place...

The ones I am thinking about had rotted door posts so the welds let go
from them.

My source didn't show a recall on the 95.

Mike
Old May 15th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Grumman-581

On Tue, 15 May 2007 13:36:51 -0400, Mike Romain >
wrote:

> The ones I am thinking about had rotted door posts so the welds let go
> from them.

Mine appear to mainly be just crappy welds... There's probably an
issue of the original design in that it appears that it was originally
just welded to light sheet metal instead of something substantial...
Old May 16th 07, 11:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Old Crow

On Tue, 15 May 2007 15:19:40 -0500, Grumman-581
> wrote:

>On Tue, 15 May 2007 13:36:51 -0400, Mike Romain >
>wrote:
>
>> The ones I am thinking about had rotted door posts so the welds let go
>> from them.

>Mine appear to mainly be just crappy welds... There's probably an
>issue of the original design in that it appears that it was originally
>just welded to light sheet metal instead of something substantial...

That's exactly the problem. I ended up pulling the door, adding some
heavy strap to the door post. I drilled and tapped the strap, and the
door post. Fished the strap down through the hole where the hinge
goes and screwed though the post into the strap. Then I drilled and
tapped for the hinge mounting bolts. Put the whole thing back
together and it's better than new. It at least distributes the weight
of the door over a larger area on the thin metal of the door post.
--
Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!"
'82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl"