"I've got a bad feeling about this" -Han Solo

Old August 30th 05, 11:01 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

Default "I've got a bad feeling about this" -Han Solo

....with homage to an earlier movie with Harrison Ford in it...

Ever notice how sometimes your internal radar warns you about
something that on the face of it is perfectly ordinary?

The other day I was taking a little walk in the morning and for some
reason I locked onto a young man sitting in his car in the driveway,
nosed up to the garage. The motor was running. He was intent upon a
cellphone conversation.

All perfectly ordinary, but the mysterious internal voice that brings
us the gift of fear said to me, "Don't walk behind him. He's going to
back out without looking."

So I waited a bit, watched him closely, scooted past quickly without
taking my eyes off those (still dark) backup lights, and went on my
way.

A few second later there came a crunchy thwack! as he backed out
without looking. Fortunately for pedestrians he backed out using a
forward gear. His journey of 24,900 miles ended after a few inches,
courtesy of his own garage door.

Both vehicle and house appeared little the worse for wear. Probably
can't say the same for his ego. With any luck, though, his situational
awareness went right up (and the phone went back into his pocket for
the duration).

--Joe

Old August 30th 05, 11:48 PM
James C. Reeves

"Ad absurdum per aspera" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> With any luck, though, his situational
> awareness went right up (and the phone went back into his pocket for
> the duration).

I doubt it.

Old September 3rd 05, 03:56 AM
John David Galt

Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:
> A few second later there came a crunchy thwack! as he backed out
> without looking. Fortunately for pedestrians he backed out using a
> forward gear. His journey of 24,900 miles ended after a few inches,
> courtesy of his own garage door.

Sounds like a good argument for continuing to make transmissions that
at least the retards can't figure out.