Pregnant woman says unborn qualifies her for HOV lane on highway

Old December 1st 05, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road

Default Pregnant woman says unborn qualifies her for HOV lane on highway

"Mike Tantillo" > wrote in message
oups.com...

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 12:24:43 -0800, blazing laser <none> wrote:
>
> >There's something in what you say. In fact you could be even more
> >restrictive. I think the basic idea of the HOV lane is to reduce
> >congestion during commute times--after all, it's only restricted at
> >commute times .

> In SoCal, the HOV lanes are enforced 24/7 (probably because we have
> traffic congestion 24/7).

Charlotte, Atlanta, and Maryland (US 50 only) also restrict 24/7/365

(pointless cross posting removed)

Also 24/7 in Seattle, WA. There has been discussion on and off over the
years,
but since there were targeted federal dollars used, the reason given
to *not* open up the lanes off-peak has been that we may be liable for
a refund if we do not use the lanes as intended. I don't know if other areas
got different or non targeted "hov lane dollars" when they made their
freeways, but that's the story here.

Bernard

Old December 1st 05, 05:09 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road

"Bernard Farquart" > wrote
> "Mike Tantillo" > wrote Also 24/7 in Seattle, WA.
> There has been discussion on and off over the years,
> but since there were targeted federal dollars used, the reason given
> to *not* open up the lanes off-peak has been that we may be liable for
> a refund if we do not use the lanes as intended. I don't know if other
> areas
> got different or non targeted "hov lane dollars" when they made their
> freeways, but that's the story here.

Actually, Bernard, many HOV lanes in the Seattle area are open
to single-occupant vehicles from 7pm-5am. For instance, I90 (except
for the Mercer Is. reversible lanes), I405, and (IIRC) I5 south of town.
Some are enforced 24/7 - like 520i from I405 to the Evergreen Point
bridge. This was changed a couple of years ago.

FloydR