oil pressure light flashing (no buzzer)...and yes, i've read all the archives

Old August 18th 05, 05:29 PM

Default oil pressure light flashing (no buzzer)...and yes, i've read all the archives

hello there!

need some help diagnosising a problem with my recent purchase.

my oil light flashes as soon as i start driving. no buzzer. it occurs
at all speeds/RPMs. engine runs fine, and i'm convinced that it is
something minor. see below for van details.

1991 Vanagon Westfalia Syncro
2.1 liter
10k miles on rebuilt
BOTH oil sensors replaced
no leaks or noises

my thought was that it was a sticky/dirty pressure relief valve/check
ball issue. i was unsure as to if an electrical problem/wire issue
would cause the light to flash.

any other thoughts?

thanks in advance!
melissa

Old August 19th 05, 01:43 AM
Woodchuck

Have a oil pressure check done. Just because the engine was rebuilt... that
doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

Back to basics, oil pressure check first on hot engine. I think from memory
it should be 2bar @ 2000rpm, but check the repair manual.

ups.com...

Old August 19th 05, 03:32 PM

the pressure has been tested and it is fine. apparently, the light has
been flashing for a year and nobody can figure out how to fix it.

Old August 19th 05, 03:45 PM
CanadianCray

Than it has to be an electrical issue. If both sensors are new & you have
good pressure there is nothing else left. You have more than likely a wire
that is shorting to ground. Its easy to check. Check the resistance in the
wires for the oil pressure sensor at both ends. Then if that's ok check the
resistance to ground & also check the resistance in between the two wires to
make sure they aren't sorted together. It HAS to be electrical be it in the
wiring or the cluster itself.

ps.com...